How do get hold of many versions?

Started by 71 dB, April 15, 2007, 08:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on April 17, 2007, 10:37:30 AM
Scholl is wonderful indeed but his recordings are limited. Mostly some compilations albums of Handel...  :-\

Although his voice changed over the years, and I think it not better.
Most of his early recordings I have, but I stopped several years ago.

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on April 17, 2007, 10:44:25 AM
Although his voice changed over the years, and I think it not better.
Most of his early recordings I have, but I stopped several years ago.

Changed? When and how?  ??? Is October 1997 early?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on April 17, 2007, 10:47:34 AM
Changed? When and how?  ??? Is October 1997 early?

The last cd I bought from him was a Harmonia Mundi cd, with cantatas from divers composers, that must be some years ago.
I am a counter tenor myself, and therefore I have strong opinions of such a voice.
The soft grained voice from Scholl changed into a somewhat harsh and sharp timbre, and more unnatural vibrato.
But in the line of many other counter tenors, Scholl fits in well with the rest.

German Baroque Cantatas it was!

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on April 17, 2007, 10:51:57 AM
The last cd I bought from him was a Harmonia Mundi cd, with cantatas from divers composers, that must be some years ago.
I am a counter tenor myself, and therefore I have strong opinions of such a voice.
The soft grained voice from Scholl changed into a somewhat harsh and sharp timbre, and more unnatural vibrato.
But in the line of many other counter tenors, Scholl fits in well with the rest.

You are a counter tenor!? That explains some of your opinions about singers. My understanding of singing is next to zero so I can accept almost any singer Robin Blaze included.  ;D

MishaK

knight66

Harry, How do you rate David Daniels? There are some new ones coming along who are all part of this new generation who manage a much more rounded tone than say Bowman. I have some Alfred Deller recordings, he gentles his way around the upper register whereas now, the singers need to be able to project fireworks. It was nevertheless a beautiful and affecting voice.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Siedler

Quote from: 71 dB on April 17, 2007, 10:17:53 AMMore difficult is for example the quality of singing.
Listen to these two clips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XukReKq0uDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvrHxQ3qjAE

Both of Maria Callas singing O Mio Babbino Caro but I think it's very easy to notice the difference, her voice in the latter clip is very damaged.

71 dB

Quote from: Siedler on April 17, 2007, 12:09:58 PM

Both of Maria Callas singing O Mio Babbino Caro but I think it's very easy to notice the difference, her voice in the latter clip is very damaged.

Yes, but there is much more than that. The sound quality issues. YouTube uses heavy compression for both video and sound creating a lot of distortion* to the original sound. The original recordings are both old having their sound quality limitations, the first one having unbearable distortion. The acoustics of the halls are different, so are the microphone set-ups. Someone might have recorded these programs on their VHS-recorders adding distortion. Compared to these issues the "damage" in her voice is just one problem among other problems.

Comparing young Callas and old Callas is like comparing raw apple and mellow apple. Comparing two different singers is more like comparing apples and oranges.

George

Quote from: Siedler on April 17, 2007, 12:09:58 PM

Indeed. Great example!  :)

knight66

Yes, I thought one would be Callas in that final disasterous concert tour. The differences are indeed marked, the voice so utterly recognisable.

Mike

Justin Ignaz Franz Bieber

Quote from: George on April 17, 2007, 03:07:42 AM
I had the same experience myself. Who do you like in the suites?

i like fournier, tortelier, casals & markson from start to finish; others (rostropovich, starker & others) have their moments.
"I am, therefore I think." -- Nietzsche

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: 71 dB on April 17, 2007, 10:37:30 AM
Scholl is wonderful indeed but his recordings are limited. Mostly some compilations albums of Handel...  :-\

Well, we wouldn't want to slight Scholl, 71db. He's actually had quite a prolific recording career.

His Bach is especially beautiful.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

knight66

96 hits for him on Amazon....not all Handel...or Bach.

Mike

71 dB

Quote from: knight on April 17, 2007, 10:35:22 PM
96 hits for him on Amazon....not all Handel...or Bach.

Mike

96 hits?!?  :o

I need to take my words back fast! I thought he had about 10!

knight66

Some of that total may contain some duplicates, but he has quite a few recital discs and has been included in quite a range of large scale recordings. I recommend his performance of Pergolesi Stabat Mater where he is partnered by Barbara Bonney.

Also this which as music and as a performance is stunningly beautiful.

Finally this, which may specifically interest you.
Scholl - German Baroque Cantatas
~ Johann Christoph Bach (Composer), Dietrich Buxtehude (Composer), Philipp Heinrich Erlebach (Composer), Giovanni Legrenzi (Composer), Concerto delle Viole

Mike

Florestan

Quote from: knight on April 18, 2007, 02:59:09 AM
I recommend his performance of Pergolesi Stabat Mater where he is partnered by Barbara Bonney.
I second that wholeheartedly.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice serĂ¡ porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Grazioso

Quote from: knight on April 17, 2007, 12:01:18 PM
Harry, How do you rate David Daniels? There are some new ones coming along who are all part of this new generation who manage a much more rounded tone than say Bowman. I have some Alfred Deller recordings, he gentles his way around the upper register whereas now, the singers need to be able to project fireworks. It was nevertheless a beautiful and affecting voice.

Mike

I'm no expert, but to my ears, some of the younger generation of countertenors, like Daniels and Mera, blow guys like Bowman and Deller out of the water, at least on a technical level.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

knight66

I have never been able to endure Bowman who to my ears has an acidic voice. He is still hawking his bones around. As a bridge between the old guard and the new, Michael Chance was a very fine singer, ultra expressive in Bach's St John Passion. I sang in choir with him as soloist a number of times and he converted me to the sound of the Countertenor.

Deller was basically the first, he deliberately wore a beard so people knew he was not a castrato. His voice is really beautiful, but his technique does not permit much volume at all. Especially in the upper reaches, it is a real falsetto without any volume at all. He was a very tasteful musician and all those we hear now owe him a great debt as he basically invented the concept for public singing.

Mike

Harry

Quote from: knight on April 17, 2007, 12:01:18 PM

Mike

Daniels has a clear and soft grained voice, and his upper register sounds very good to my ears. Bowman in his early days was a joy to hear, with not one harsh sound, but today there is not much left anymore. Michael Chance had its good times too, but the latest things that I heard from him, show that his voice is going the same way as Bowman's.
I treasure many old records from the seventies and eighties.
One of the major counters at the moment is Philipp Jarousky, a voice like a bell, and the ability to sing very soft without losing the tension in his voice.
But Mera is the absolute top for me. Just listen at the first 6 or so volumes from the Bach-Suzuki cycle. That is really out of this world.
I agree with you about the voice of Deller, and for that matter the voice from Rene Jacobs, that was really dreadful, with this nasty side effect of his voice.

Harry

Quote from: Grazioso on April 18, 2007, 03:20:35 AM
I'm no expert, but to my ears, some of the younger generation of countertenors, like Daniels and Mera, blow guys like Bowman and Deller out of the water, at least on a technical level.

Agreed!