Ihre Favourite Winterreise

Started by Rinaldo, February 02, 2021, 02:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin

Mandryka

Some very imaginative, bold piano playing here from Gustav Djupsjöbacka. This is a dramatic Winterreise, so you've got to be up for that. Tom Krause has one of my favourite heroic voices.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Back to this today, and while "enjoying" is certainly not the word (it is joyless), I am having some sort of positive aesthetic experience.

One impressive thing is that Schreier manages the contrast between desolation and anger possibly better than anyone else I've heard, and that's a big part of the cycle - and yet he avoids completely operatic melodrama. He's found a lieder-idiom which is perfect for this.

I bet Richter was in awe because of what Schreier came up with in the concert. He provides the perfect sympathetic and humble accompaniment - he knows his place! It's Schreier's show, his biggest moment, his masterpiece probably, and it's a jolly good thing that it was captured.

Does anyone have the Schreier/Olbertz Winterreise transferred from LP? If so, I'd love to hear it.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Mandryka on March 09, 2024, 01:26:18 PM

Back to this today, and while "enjoying" is certainly not the word (it is joyless), I am having some sort of positive aesthetic experience.

One impressive thing is that Schreier manages the contrast between desolation and anger possibly better than anyone else I've heard, and that's a big part of the cycle - and yet he avoids completely operatic melodrama. He's found a lieder-idiom which is perfect for this.

I bet Richter was in awe because of what Schreier came up with in the concert. He provides the perfect sympathetic and humble accompaniment - he knows his place! It's Schreier's show, his biggest moment, his masterpiece probably, and it's a jolly good thing that it was captured.

Does anyone have the Schreier/Olbertz Winterreise transferred from LP? If so, I'd love to hear it.

What do you think about Schreier with Schiff in this cycle?

Mandryka

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 09, 2024, 08:50:24 PMWhat do you think about Schreier with Schiff in this cycle?

I haven't heard it.

Did Schreier sing Tristan? If so I'd like to hear it, in Act 3.

Jo498

Schreier sung shepherd and/or sailor in Tristan, but certainly not Tristan. Not sure, but his "biggest" Wagnerian part was probably David.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: Jo498 on March 10, 2024, 01:28:51 AMSchreier sung shepherd and/or sailor in Tristan, but certainly not Tristan. Not sure, but his "biggest" Wagnerian part was probably David.

Act 3 though!  He would have been fabulous lying on the stage whispering!

LKB

I admire Schreier's Winterreise, but from a distance. There was always a hint of hardness to go along with his naturally bright instrument. So, not an  automatic " go to " version ( for me ), though I'll readily grant his commanding interpretation.

Since nobody's mentioned it here, Kurt Moll's recording is available at Amazon, but not exactly cheaply:

https://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Winterreise-D911-Kurt-Moll/dp/B01K8LO9F2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=2F4UG0WWJBU7S&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.dm3XU_GBaxVbAz0wUEfteAlWHZxL6cyF8m4KHIabayy1vN9Co2Jua1jmRzSTQXCTg6E11yFbWJ4--_VUOFeB3WOAxgAoVwb_2brJ0v8mNQS5uKlsGTpir3eqCyUulSsoIWWc6_fhE1JyLKuWWSugIYJoS6IcjBV8DeudGhSmjSW6KhyBjyfspL-Bf36Ec1pVi7CVcgFJ6KAdT2XJQ2myFw.slPnUFg44ykkW845EAQgi3zdC0cwIwEMCm8dHTKdGtM&dib_tag=se&keywords=kurt+moll+Winterreise&qid=1710082532&sprefix=kurt+moll+winterreise%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-1

( Sorry for the length of that link. )

The plusses would be the luxuriant beauty of one of the greatest bass voices in history, and some reasonably sensitive work from his accompanist.

The recording's drawbacks are somewhat brittle/shallow sound quality, and an oddly narrow dynamic range. Moll's instrument was large, even and equally beautiful in every tessitura. I attended a recital in 1985 when he was in his prime, and was simply dumbfounded by what l was hearing. This Orfeo recording is apparently the only instance where he recorded the work, so  even with the warts it remains desirable.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Pohjolas Daughter

I love DFD's recording with Gerald Moore (I have a few different issues of it on LP.).  I don't believe that I have any other ones?  Boxed sets are dangerous though! LOL 

Would love to hear Hans Hotter singing it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

DFD/Moore is about as definitive as Winterreise can get, though some might say Hotter is just as formidable.

I wish Shirley-Quirk had recorded it commercially, he performed it in recital locally back in the '80's, but l didn't learn of it until the day after.  :(
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on March 10, 2024, 05:46:57 PMDFD/Moore is about as definitive as Winterreise can get, though some might say Hotter is just as formidable.

I wish Shirley-Quirk had recorded it commercially, he performed it in recital locally back in the '80's, but l didn't learn of it until the day after.  :(
Did Hotter record it multiple times and/or with various pianists?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

T. D.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 10, 2024, 07:02:05 PMDid Hotter record it multiple times and/or with various pianists?

PD

This link says at least four times with at least two pianists:
Classics Today

This link has three recordings with three pianists:
Presto

Mandryka

Michael Gray's A Classical Discography lists 9 Winterreise recordings with Hotter

https://classical-discography.org

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Mandryka on March 10, 2024, 09:48:30 PMMichael Gray's A Classical Discography lists 9 Winterreise recordings with Hotter

https://classical-discography.org

Some of them unreleased...) Qobuz has Hotter's Winterreise with Michael Raucheisen, Heinz Schröter, Gerhard Hüsch, Gerald Moore.

Mandryka

Quote from: ritter on February 02, 2021, 10:44:17 AMA very restrained, ascetic almost, but extremely effective approach—with the greatest attention to the words— is that of Christine Schäfer with Eric Schneider:

Not often do we encounter female singers in Winterreise (Lotte Lehmann—the first woman to record it AFAIK—, Christa Ludwig, Brigitte Fassbaender, Schäfer, and—soon to be released—Joyce DiDonato), and some may see this as anathema, but this recording is superb!

Very good piano playing IMO. There are a few other women singers by the way - Margaret Price,  Mitsuko Shirai, Nathalie Stutzmann, Britta Schwartz, Noemi Weysfeld.

Mandryka

Astonishing wild and unrestrained Winterreise in concert from Bostridge and Drake - special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRXFyDro4xQ

AnotherSpin

This recording of Winterreise with Peter Anders was made in Berlin in February-March 1945. Work in the studio was interrupted during the Russian bombardments. Distant explosions are said to be heard at some parts in the recording. It would be difficult for me to discern whether the explosions are in the recording, or somewhere around, like this morning during the missile attack.

Anders recorded Winterreise again in 1948 with Günther Weissenborn.

Jo498

The Anders/Raucheisen has suprisingly good sound for 1945, considering the circumsstances. It must be one of the most "operatic".
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

I appreciate Anders's wide awake, physical energy in Winterreise. In that sense, he's the polar opposite of the muzzy Hotter/Moore. I've just put it on for the first time in a very long time and in truth, I'm finding it hard to tear myself away even though I have a dental appointment soon and I feel as though he's haranguing me  . . . It's not subtle, it's not colourful, it's melodramatic -  but it's a very "authentic" performance - whatever that means. Personal.