Cooking Hacks For Those That Love To Cook

Started by Holden, February 08, 2021, 12:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holden

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 30, 2021, 07:39:07 AM
I haven't tried this technique before but have heard of it.  I seldom cook big cuts of meat, but I see that it also works for smaller pieces of meat and fish too.  I like the idea of really crispy skin.   :)  Part of the issue for me would be in trying to find enough room on the bottom shelf of my fridge (normally fridge is pretty packed with veggies and other things).  Wish that I had a spare fridge--could really use it at times.  Do you ever get concerned about cross-contamination with the meat/fish/chicken not being covered up and with air circulation in the fridge?

And, yes, like you I love that serious eats website!  Been tempted to buy his book.

PD

At the temperatures inside a fridge combined with almost zero humidity, cross contamination should never be a problem unless the food is already spoiled. The only food that might concern me is fish, but I have a different way of dealing with that.
Cheers

Holden

Pohjolas Daughter

A couple of suggestions regarding bacon:

1)  In the States, it's normally sold in 1 lb. packages.  If I know that I won't be going through it all quickly (which normally is the case here), I get out some plastic wrap and separate the strips into 3-4 piece packages, wrap them up in the plastic wrap well and then put all of them into a larger ziplock bag, label and date it, squeeze out as much air as possible and then put it into the freezer.

2)  Recently, I purchased some slab bacon from my coop (about 1/2 lb.).  This time, I ended up cooking it all in a skillet as I wanted to have some around during the week for use in sandwiches, salads, etc....plus I had hoped that a friend would be joining me for lunch one day this week.  After putting it on some paper towels on a plate to drain off the fat and it was cool, I then put it into a food safe container with a lid and into the fridge the excess went to use throughout the week.  I gently reheated some the other day in a small frying pan, but if you have a microwave, you can reheat it in there.  I would suggest on a plate and covered with a paper towel.   Plus low heat and a few seconds at a time and keep your eye on it.  Check often.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

I recently bought an egg cooker which really makes great hard boiled eggs!

Also I finally bought a grill.  I bought a small portable gas grill and wow what a difference!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on July 22, 2021, 08:12:14 AM
I recently bought an egg cooker which really makes great hard boiled eggs!

Also I finally bought a grill.  I bought a small portable gas grill and wow what a difference!
What is your egg cooker like David?  Sometimes I wish that I had a gas grill; mine's charcoal, so more of a pain to use, but I love the flavor of charcoal grilled food (though these days, I believe, there are also ways to add a special wood packet to a gas grill for more flavor).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 22, 2021, 08:20:44 AM
What is your egg cooker like David?  Sometimes I wish that I had a gas grill; mine's charcoal, so more of a pain to use, but I love the flavor of charcoal grilled food (though these days, I believe, there are also ways to add a special wood packet to a gas grill for more flavor).

PD

You put the eggs in a ring, there is a holder for each egg.  You have to pierce the egg shell first.  You add water that amounts to how long they cook with lines for each type of way you cook it.  A chime goes when it is done.  Of course I then put the eggs in an ice bath.  It is small and works well.  I got it off of Amazon.

I agree about the flavor of charcoal, but like you didn't want the pain of it.  Gas grill is just easy.  I didn't know about adding wood packets, I'll have to look into that. 

Mandryka

My new project in life is to make perfect soft boiled eggs. Any tips appreciated, and here are some of the questions which I'm wrestling with:

1. To prick or not to prick?

2. What sort of spoon do you use to eat them with? Has anyone got one of these?

3. What is the best egg buying strategy? I normally chose the free range ones with the use by date the furthest way, but there may be better approaches. Which breeds of chicken produce the tastiest eggs? Does shell colour matter for taste? (I know that the first bite is with the eye, according to that programme where Homer Simpson becomes a Japanese chef.)

4. How do you cook them to ensure a tender white and a runny but viscous yolk?

5. How do you get the top off the eggs?

6. Do you add salt? If so, what sort of salt?

7. Do you add a little bit of butter to the yolk? What sort of butter?

8. Any opinions about egg cups? They're a bugger to clean -- why does nobody make disposable ones?

And of course the question over which wars have been fought:

9. Are you Lilliput or Blefuscu, big end or little end?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: ultralinear on July 22, 2021, 10:10:56 AM
I've given up trying to boil eggs in a pan.  Too hit and miss.  Nowadays I get much more reliable results by steaming them.  Large eggs, in the same steamer I use for green vegetables, 6½ minutes seems about right for a firm but not hard white and a runny yolk.

I shall try tomorrow at breakfast.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

VonStupp

I've given up trying to boil eggs in a pan.  Too hit and miss.  Nowadays I get much more reliable results by steaming them.  Large eggs, in the same steamer I use for green vegetables, 6½ minutes seems about right for a firm but not hard white and a runny yolk.

We have been using our pressure cooker for hard and soft boiled eggs lately, and it has taken away our variable results from boiling them in the pan.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Holden

My egg cooker is from Aldi

It will also poach them.
Cheers

Holden

(poco) Sforzando

For perfect hard-cooked eggs:
1) Start them in a cold saucepan. For 2-3 eggs, I use an old Le Creuset 14, which I think is about 1 quart US.
2) Bring just to a boil.
3) Cover, turn off heat, and let sit 12-15 minutes.
4) Run under cold water and shell.

I imagine soft-cooked eggs would work equally well if you let them sit for a shorter time.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

DavidW

That is how my little egg cooker works, it steams the eggs.

Iota

Quote from: Mandryka on July 22, 2021, 09:00:30 AM
My new project in life is to make perfect soft boiled eggs. Any tips appreciated, and here are some of the questions which I'm wrestling with:

[.....]

3.  Does shell colour matter for taste? (I know that the first bite is with the eye, according to that programme where Homer Simpson becomes a Japanese chef.)

[...]

And of course the question over which wars have been fought:

9. Are you Lilliput or Blefuscu, big end or little end?

Putting eggs in cold water, bringing to the boil, turning off heat immediately and letting sit for about 2 mins works for me.

3. As far as shell colour goes, I always assume darker shell implies tastier/more nutritious without actually having any evidence for doing so. Bit like redder apples.

9. I have never, ever even considered a 'big end' approach! And on brief inspection of the state of my amygdala at the mere mention of the idea, I'm not sure I ever could.