Alvin Curran's Warren

Started by Mandryka, February 19, 2021, 02:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Please let me know what you think about the man's art.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

This is so sweet, so agreeable, so luscious that it surely can't be any good for you.

Mandryka

Canti Illuminati I is a blatant and shameless Stimmung ripoff. Very good though!

Iota

Couldn't find any of the above on streaming so tried this:

Alvin Curran: On Hearing the Brooklyn Bridge sing in Yiddish

Haven't listened to anything like all of it, but liked it more than I was expecting to. I've haven't heard any experimental music that really chimed with me for a while, but this felt unusually easy to like, funny, charming, lyrical .. there are indeed many actual brief appearances of melody, but it's the whole that feels lyrical somehow. There seemed to be a human warmth lurking in the collage too.

I shall certainly be going back at some point to see if the positive feelings last. Thanks for the introduction.

Mandryka

Quote from: Old San Antone on February 19, 2021, 10:48:12 AM
I have been listening to this recording from 2020 Inner Cities, performed by Gabriella Smart.

Morton Feldman seems to have been an influence.

I prefer the tone and the tempos of Daan Vanderwalle.

T. D.

I've long thought of acquiring this set (Steve Lacy! Rzewski! George Lewis, Karl Berger, etc.) , but it's pricey...

This one also appeals to me, but will try to audition online (yippee, it's all on Youtube!):

I dig the latter and may purchase. But I'm approaching Curran's music as a big jazz piano listener, so deconstructing/reconstructing standards is of personal interest.

Mandryka

Quote from: T. D. on February 19, 2021, 04:52:37 PM
I've long thought of acquiring this set (Steve Lacy! Rzewski! George Lewis, Karl Berger, etc.) , but it's pricey...

This one also appeals to me, but will try to audition online (yippee, it's all on Youtube!):

What I feel about this one is that there are some fabulous nights on record there, especially in Amserdam, but whether this translates well to your living room . . . I'm not sure.

Mandryka

Quote from: T. D. on February 19, 2021, 04:52:37 PM

Animal Behaviour is like  a watered down version of Wishart's Red Bird. Proof that Brits are more hardcore than yanks.

The other track, Why is this night different from other nights?, seems strange and not without charm.

T. D.

Purchased this, enjoying it now. But it'll appeal mostly to those who listen (or have listened) to significant amts. of jazz.

Mandryka

Quote from: T. D. on March 04, 2021, 11:21:26 AM

Purchased this, enjoying it now. But it'll appeal mostly to those who listen (or have listened) to significant amts. of jazz.

I don't believe these old distinctions -- jazz and classical -- count for anything important these days. The performers and composers are genre bending, if the listeners don't follow suit, well they're dinosaurs.

Mandryka

This is an interesting one I think. The Schtetl variations is dedicated to Morty, and proceeds in a suitably ineffable feldmanesque style. Put it like this: these variations aren't working like something by Haydn. The CD for me is well worth cherishing for the variations alone.  For Cornelius, is of course for Cardew, and has been recorded before, by Jeanne Golan and Kees Wieringa - this one is the tightest (Wieringa is a eye watering 50 minutes long, Mikhashoff is less that 15) The Last Acts of Julian Beck is in three parts, including a representation of Beck in paradise. I know paradise sounds cheesy, but honestly, it isn't - much less cheesy than Liszt's religious fudge.

Mmmm, cheesy fudge, sort of thing Homer Simpson would like.

Sound is excellent.

Mandryka

Inner Cities 12 and 13 here -- bad sound but as far as I know not recorded elsewhere

https://soundcloud.com/inner-cities-12-13