Greetings from St. Louis

Started by Stürmisch Bewegt, February 24, 2021, 10:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stürmisch Bewegt

Hello Classical fans.  Good to be amongst fellow listeners and the similarly addicted.  Seems peculiar to feel the need to describe my interests when - as I've learned from experience - today's dislikes become tomorrow's enthusiasms, at least that's my story!  I had a friend once, German-born, classically trained pianist, also an MD (classic under-achiever) who told one of her professors she hated Wagner.  "I can assure you that you'll like him eventually," he told her.  She was skeptical.  Years after she graduated she revisited her alma mater and he asked her if she still hated him, "No, he's my favorite composer."  "I told you you'd come 'round..."  In any case, best to describe my listening as "anything goes" with a marked preference for French composers of every generation. 
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

DavidW

ritter

Welcome to GMD, Stürmisch. A fellow Francophile here... ;)

Brahmsian

Welcome to GMG! Plenty of French music fans on this board.  :)

André

Welcome and make yourself at home !

bhodges

French music, I mean...what's not to like? Among other pioneers, Debussy and Ravel changed how I look at music. And then I discovered people like Grisey, another composer who explored paths not previously taken.

In any case, welcome and have a good time here.

--Bruce

DavidW

Quote from: Brewski on February 24, 2021, 12:52:09 PM
French music, I mean...what's not to like? Among other pioneers, Debussy and Ravel changed how I look at music. And then I discovered people like Grisey, another composer who explored paths not previously taken.

In any case, welcome and have a good time here.

--Bruce

Oh you modernist you!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

bhodges

Quote from: DavidW on February 24, 2021, 01:08:48 PM
Oh you modernist you!

:D

Sorry, I can't help it. Probably genetic. I do like a little Lully now and then, though -- how's that? 8)

--Bruce

Stürmisch Bewegt

Merci de votre bienvenue, mes vieux!   8)
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Szykneij

Welcome!
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Papy Oli

Olivier

Mirror Image

Welcome aboard, Stürmisch! I couldn't imagine my life without Debussy or Ravel. Good to see you here.

Stürmisch Bewegt

THANKS, Papy and Miroir (speaking of Ravel)!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on February 25, 2021, 07:40:21 AM
THANKS, Papy and Miroir (speaking of Ravel)!

8) Miroirs is one of my favorite Ravel works. Kudos for mentioning it!

Pohjolas Daughter

Welcome Stürmisch!   Hope that you enjoy it here!

By the way, what does your avatar's name mean in English.  The bit of German that I learned some time ago isn't helping me; I tried using Google Translate, but it didn't make sense to me.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 25, 2021, 01:27:29 PM
Welcome Stürmisch!   Hope that you enjoy it here!

By the way, what does your avatar's name mean in English.  The bit of German that I learned some time ago isn't helping me; I tried using Google Translate, but it didn't make sense to me.  :(

PD

THANK YOU!  It's my little homage to Mahler, a tempo indication he used in two of his symphonies: 1 & 5, "with stormy motion, or moving stormily" covers it more or less; one sometimes sees it translated "agitated" which I like less. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on February 25, 2021, 03:03:31 PM
THANK YOU!  It's my little homage to Mahler, a tempo indication he used in two of his symphonies: 1 & 5, "with stormy motion, or moving stormily" covers it more or less; one sometimes sees it translated "agitated" which I like less.
Ah, thanks!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter