Dreams with original music

Started by relm1, February 27, 2021, 06:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

Last night I had a dream where I was observing music being composed.  The theme had two prominent notes and someone said, "it works but its just a phrase, not a theme.  It needs more...something like this might work...".  They hummed the full theme and it was very nice and flushed out.  I woke up and wrote it down.  Isn't it interesting when your dream creates something for you that is fully flushed out and orchestrated that you had no creative part in creating?  Dreams are strange.

steve ridgway

That's brilliant. 8) I had a more frustrating dream once where a friend played me a fantastic piece of music that I could vaguely remember when I woke up but had no idea what it was. :(

Florestan

I sometimes dream music composed and played by myself. I hear it vividly while the dream lasts: melody, harmony, orchestration, I hear, or have the impression of hearing, all. Last time I had such a dream it was a piano concerto fast movement. Once I wake up I have only the vaguest remembrance of what I heard.

The interesting thing is that I'm musically illiterate.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

71 dB

Quote from: Florestan on February 27, 2021, 08:20:39 AM
I sometimes dream music composed and played by myself. I hear it vividly while the dream lasts: melody, harmony, orchestration, I hear, or have the impression of hearing, all. Last time I had such a dream it was a piano concerto fast movement. Once I wake up I have only the vaguest remembrance of what I heard.

Over the years I have heard music in my dreams, but it hasn't been music that I am "creating" in the dream. I forget completely most of my dreams, but some dreams are so intense I still remember some of then well from my childhood! I mean 35-40 years ago!

One of the earliest music dreams had me walking outdoor in the evening when very angelic beautiful music starts playing above me. I look up at the starry sky and see the stars shining and twinkle more than they usually do in all colors and I realise the stars are playing the music! It was so supercool I still remember the dream it after decades, but I don't remember details of the music apart from the fact that it had glassy high pitched sounds, a bit like wind-chime, but much cooler.

In one dream I saw about 30 years ago I go to a record shop (those where very common back then) in the dream I there was a new  record (imagined in this dream) from one of my favorite music acts (S'Express). It was a 12" vinyl single named "Ooh ooh". I heard a few second of the track in this dream while watching the cover art. It had a repetive "ooh ooh ooh..." sang by a low female voice on top of grainy rhythm loops and I liked it a lot.

Last fall I saw a dream in which someone sang to me very beautifully. I woke up and my head was able to continue the singing mentally for a few seconds until the process was interrupted by all the "sensory data" being awake. It felt a bit like the examples where artificial intelligence tries to continue a pop song.

I have also been musically illiterate, but in the recent years I have gotten into music theory so that I consider myself musically somewhat literate.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Florestan

Quote from: 71 dB on February 27, 2021, 09:55:03 AM
some dreams are so intense I still remember some of then well from my childhood! I mean 35-40 years ago!

My experience as well. Also, I remember them in batches, ie I begin remembering a dream and from that one I go in an association chain through five or six others until for some reason the chain is interrupted and I can't remember any more dreams.

Symphonic Addict

I've also heard music in some of my dreams, and I remember those chunks. They were: the 2nd movement from Moeran's Sinfonietta, Braga Santos' Symphonic Overture No. 3 or the ending of the Symphony No. 4, the 2nd section from the 2nd movement of Nielsen's Symphony No. 5 and the glorious ending of his Symphony No. 4. Needless to say they all were happy dreams.  :)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Rinaldo

I had a few dreams like that, one was a symphonic movement with a booming choral part, I remember tweaking the chord progression until I woke up.. and everything was gone, except for the memory of it happening.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Florestan on February 27, 2021, 11:11:27 AM
Yeah, but the OP asked for dreams with *original* music. Pleasant as they were, yours don't qualify.  ;)

Indeed, but I wanted to point out I have heard music in my dreams, regardless whether it was original or not.  :)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Florestan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 27, 2021, 11:14:05 AM
Indeed, but I wanted to point out I have heard music in my dreams, regardless whether it was original or not.  :)

Actually I deleted my remark but not quick enough apparently.  :)

relm1

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 27, 2021, 06:40:36 AM
That's brilliant. 8) I had a more frustrating dream once where a friend played me a fantastic piece of music that I could vaguely remember when I woke up but had no idea what it was. :(

I have come to learn very much about dreams.  I've even composed large scale orchestral works on the subject.  Anyway, I have determined that dreams happen in short term memory which is sort of like when someone tells you their phone number, unless you immediately write it down, it will be forgotten in seconds.  You have seconds to capture those elusive idea before they are lost but in capturing them you can hold on to them in long term memories. 

relm1

That is fascinating!  Maybe you have an innate knowledge you've not tapped in to?

relm1

One of the strangest dreams I ever had, I was looking at my own orchestral piece.  It was fully composed and orchestrated and I remember details of the instrumentation and heard it in its complete form.  It was an original piece and later in the dream, I was to perform the bass trombone part (yes, I'm a bass trombonist) and at the last moment, the conductor said we'll play something different, a premiere of an early undiscovered work by Shostakovich!  I then remember horrible performance anxiety and forgetting to bring clothes so having to play naked hoping no one would notice but I vividly remember the unknown piece by Shostakovich and still remember the music.  As far as I know, no such work exists so this was two completely flushed out works I studied the notes and practiced in my dream and still remember it.  Dreams are weird. 

Florestan

Quote from: relm1 on February 27, 2021, 04:05:34 PM
That is fascinating!  Maybe you have an innate knowledge you've not tapped in to?

Don't know. All I know is that I have loved "classical" music passionately ever since I first heard it as a kid wthout even knowing what kind of music it was  and I deeply regret not having asked my parents to get me to learn playing an instrument.

Florestan

Quote from: relm1 on February 27, 2021, 04:11:01 PM
One of the strangest dreams I ever had, I was looking at my own orchestral piece.  It was fully composed and orchestrated and I remember details of the instrumentation and heard it in its complete form.  It was an original piece and later in the dream, I was to perform the bass trombone part (yes, I'm a bass trombonist) and at the last moment, the conductor said we'll play something different, a premiere of an early undiscovered work by Shostakovich!  I then remember horrible performance anxiety and forgetting to bring clothes so having to play naked hoping no one would notice but I vividly remember the unknown piece by Shostakovich and still remember the music.  As far as I know, no such work exists so this was two completely flushed out works I studied the notes and practiced in my dream and still remember it.  Dreams are weird.

Why not write it down?