Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer?

Musikalisches Opfer, BWV 1079
5 (50%)
Die Kunst der Fuge, BWV 1080
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 9

vers la flamme

Of Bach's two late, summative contrapuntal masterworks, which do you prefer: the Art of Fugue or the Musical Offering?

For me, I'm rocking with the Offering. I love both but this is the one that speaks to me more, I think.

DavidW

I strongly prefer the Art of Fugue.

I know that she is not popular on this forum, but Angela Hewitt's recording is pretty swell.  She really brings a clarity and musicality to the work.

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on March 03, 2021, 05:19:26 PM
I strongly prefer the Art of Fugue.

I know that she is not popular on this forum, but Angela Hewitt's recording is pretty swell.  She really brings a clarity and musicality to the work.

Call me unpopular, because I like Angela Hewitt's Bach.

Jo498

tbh I hardly know the Musical offering. I have two recordings and I have listened to them but I'd probably only recognize the two ricercari and bits of the trio sonata. I can't be bothered with the canons and stuff. The Art of Fugue is also not easy listening but I have around ten recordings from harpsichord, piano, organ solo to all kinds of instrumentations/arrangements and I am much more familiar with it. Not all pieces are favorites (e.g. the first fugue is a bit boring) but some are among the best (e.g. #8) and overall the variety is quite amazing.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

71 dB

Both are amazing of course, but BWV 1079 is my favorite of these two.  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Biffo

A Musical Offering (DGG Archive, various soloists) was the first piece of Bach I ever bought - it was there in the shop and I was intrigued. It was years before I tried the Art of Fugue, interesting but not a key work for me.

DavidW

Quote from: Biffo on March 04, 2021, 03:08:48 AM
A Musical Offering (DGG Archive, various soloists) was the first piece of Bach I ever bought - it was there in the shop and I was intrigued. It was years before I tried the Art of Fugue, interesting but not a key work for me.

Oh that is interesting!  My first Bach was a compilation of the Italian Concerto, Tocatta and Fugue and the Brandenburg Concerto No. 5.  I think it was called "the best of Bach"! ;D

vers la flamme

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 03, 2021, 06:42:19 PM
Call me unpopular, because I like Angela Hewitt's Bach.

Right before the pandemic started affecting my area (it may have even been this day last year) I saw Angela Hewitt do an all-Bach recital at Spivey Hall in Morrow, GA. Definitely one of the best live music experiences of my young life, as far as classical music is concerned. The highlight of the set was the French Overture (which I wasn't really familiar with) and the Italian Concerto, whose andante she played beautifully. I like her Bach as well, though I guess I can see where others might find it a bit white-bread.

Brahmsian

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 06, 2021, 04:37:06 AM
Right before the pandemic started affecting my area (it may have even been this day last year) I saw Angela Hewitt do an all-Bach recital at Spivey Hall in Morrow, GA. Definitely one of the best live music experiences of my young life, as far as classical music is concerned. The highlight of the set was the French Overture (which I wasn't really familiar with) and the Italian Concerto, whose andante she played beautifully. I like her Bach as well, though I guess I can see where others might find it a bit white-bread.

How nice!  :) Sounds like a marvelous musical experience.

vers la flamme

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 06, 2021, 04:39:26 AM
How nice!  :) Sounds like a marvelous musical experience.

I spoke to her briefly after the concert. She seems like a kind and surprisingly down-to-earth person, though I guess she could have been putting on such airs just for the sake of the meet-and-greet.

Brahmsian

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 06, 2021, 04:49:26 AM
I spoke to her briefly after the concert. She seems like a kind and surprisingly down-to-earth person, though I guess she could have been putting on such airs just for the sake of the meet-and-greet.

I had a similar impression with a brief chat with violinist Tasmin Little after a concert where she had performed the Britten violin concerto. I was also able to get a few autograph CDs. Down to earth, friendly and gracious.

DavidW

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 06, 2021, 04:37:06 AM

I wish I had known about that concert, I would have driven to see it!  I have all of her Bach recordings excepting the concertos.  Two of my favorites are the viola da gamba sonatas and the arrangements.  I think those two are sleepers because they are not as popular and most people would never think of listening to those works on modern piano.  But they are very well played.

vers la flamme

Quote from: DavidW on March 06, 2021, 05:33:37 AM
I wish I had known about that concert, I would have driven to see it!  I have all of her Bach recordings excepting the concertos.  Two of my favorites are the viola da gamba sonatas and the arrangements.  I think those two are sleepers because they are not as popular and most people would never think of listening to those works on modern piano.  But they are very well played.

Her encore was a Kempff transcription of the Sleepers Wake cantata, that I reckon must be on that disc on the right. Looks great, I'll have to track it down. Too bad you missed it, but I would look into the venue when things become normal again. All kinds of great artists come through.