Author Topic: What Opera Are You Listening to Now?  (Read 350080 times)

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
Re: What Opera Are You Listening to Now?
« Reply #2500 on: May 03, 2021, 01:06:30 PM »
It is my intention to listen to the EMI version. I’m sure it must do the work better justice, what with these singers !

It certainly does.. I reviewed it on my blog some time ago http://tsaraslondon.com/2017/01/08/i-pagliacci/
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Gustav Mahler (1860 - 1911)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #2501 on: May 04, 2021, 09:30:08 AM »
First-Listen Tuesday and a new arrival...

Zemlinsky
Der Zwerg, Op. 17
Juanita Lascarro (soprano), Machiko Obata (soprano), Soile Isokoski (soprano), Natalie Karl (soprano), Martina Rüping (mezzo-soprano), Iride Martinez (soprano), Anne Schwanewilms (mezzo-soprano), Andrew Collis (bass), David Kuebler (vocals)
Gürzenich-Orchester Köln, Frankfurter Kantorei
James Conlon

I haven’t finished it, but first impressions are certainly favorable. Gorgeous music, but I have sneaking suspicion that the music will turn some dark corners later on.
Don’t forget your four A’s, folks: Alex, Arnie, Alban and Anton

Offline Fritz Kobus

« Reply #2502 on: May 06, 2021, 09:46:13 AM »
My favorite L'elisir.  The soprano on this is awesome. The other singers are excellent too.  This is also on DVD and well worth the watch.

I have mixed feelings about Sutherland  (and Pavarotti) but this is an awesome Sutherland performance and overall perhaps the best La Fille on CD:

For some reason I have not been pleased with the Italian version, La Figlia del Reggimento.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #2503 on: May 06, 2021, 10:46:13 AM »
I have mixed feelings about Sutherland  (and Pavarotti) but this is an awesome Sutherland performance and overall perhaps the best La Fille on CD:

I know it's bad form to quote oneself but I can't help it.

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,26890.msg1353161.html#msg1353161

What is Music? How do you define it? Music is a calm moonlit night, the rustle of leaves in Summer. Music is the far off peal of bells at dusk! Music comes straight from the heart and talks only to the heart: it is Love!  --- Rachmaninoff