The Music Room > Opera and Vocal

What Ballet Music Are You Listening To Now?

<< < (5/6) > >>

"Harry":
New acquirement, first listen.

French Music for Ballet.

Henri Sauguet.
Les Forains.

Jules Massenet.
Ballet Suite from Herodiade.

Jacques Ibert.
Les Amours de Jupiter.

Estonia National SO, Neeme Järvi

This is one great feast of listening extravaganza.. Such fine Ballet music, expertly played and recorded. Ballet is my first love in classical music, and I wallow in this brand new release.

Brewski:
Lately I've been exploring some versions of Stravinsky's Apollo, and have heard some excellent recent ones (such as a livestream last week from Daniel Harding and the Concertgebouw).

Last weekend, the great dancer Jacques d'Amboise died, at age 86. (In the U.S., he may be best recalled for his work in the film Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.) But I had forgotten that he was known for Apollo. As usual, YouTube to the rescue: Here's a 1960 video, with d'Amboise in the version choreographed by George Balanchine, and it's pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFJRt1DVa0I

--Bruce

VonStupp:
Igor Stravinsky
Pulcinella
Jeu de cartes
Teresa Berganza, Ryland Davies, John Shirley-Quirk
London Symphony Orchestra
Claudio Abbado

From Abbado's LSO years, a joyous recording.

As a Yank from the west of the Atlantic, is it strange that I love John Shirley-Quirk's baritone so much? I gobble up anything I can find him, usually oratorios and sacred works, but he is consistently terrific.

ritter:

--- Quote from: VonStupp on June 12, 2021, 01:41:11 AM ---Igor Stravinsky
Pulcinella
Jeu de cartes
Claudio Abbado

As a Yank from the west of the Atlantic, is it strange that I love John Shirley-Quirk's baritone so much? I gobble up anything I can find him, usually oratorios and sacred works, but he is consistently terrific.

--- End quote ---
A great recording indeed, and probably my favourite of this miraculous score. And Teresa Berganza is wonderful in her part as well....

Roasted Swan:

--- Quote from: VonStupp on June 12, 2021, 01:41:11 AM ---Igor Stravinsky
Pulcinella
Jeu de cartes
Claudio Abbado

--- End quote ---

VS - why should this be strange?!  For me Shirley-Quirk's voice is synonymous with so much of my favourite British music (well he was the go-to baritone for EMI for pretty much all of it!). A golden age of recording caught a golden voice in its prime.  His performances will remain reference recordings for me - not exlusively the best but the one the others have to beat......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version