The Music Room > Opera and Vocal

What Ballet Music Are You Listening To Now?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Florestan:

--- Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 08, 2021, 12:58:27 PM ---Well, the Opera and Vocal sub forum is kind of a catch-all for music for the stage or theatre, me thinks. Hence, why ballet music is included in this area.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Mirror Image on March 08, 2021, 05:07:11 PM ---under the ‘Opera and Vocal’ heading on the forum’s homepage, this section is described as the following:

This board is for discussion of all vocal, opera and staged music, including ballet.

--- End quote ---

Ah, okay, got it now.

OrchestralNut:

--- Quote from: Florestan on March 08, 2021, 12:47:54 PM ---Not today but very recently, Swan Lake from this set.

Believe it or not, it was the first time I ever listened to the whole thing.

--- End quote ---

Inspired by Andrei's post from yesterday, I am listening to my favourite performance of Swan Lake (favourite performance pretty much of any ballet really).

Bonynge conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra, 1975 recording.

Mirror Image:
NP: Stravinsky Petrushka, Pulcinella (Chailly et. al.)

Stravinsky is, by far, my favorite composer of ballet music. There is such breadth in the variety of music he composed for this medium. From the opulent beauty of Apollon Musagète to the comical hijinks of Jeu de cartes to the classically-informed serialism of Agon, there’s no denying that he was truly one of greats.

Florestan:

--- Quote from: Mirror Image on March 09, 2021, 11:18:32 AM ---NP: Stravinsky Petrushka, Pulcinella (Chailly et. al.)

Stravinsky is, by far, my favorite composer of ballet music. There is such breadth in the variety of music he composed for this medium. From the opulent beauty of Apollon Musagète to the comical hijinks of Jeu de cartes to the classically-informed serialism of Agon, there’s no denying that he was truly one of greats.

--- End quote ---

I'm not a Stravinsky fan but Petrushka is in my top 3 ballets, together with The Nutcracker and Romeo and Juliet --- coincidentally, all Russian. And that CD is my favorite all Stravinsky CD hands down.

vandermolen:
recently

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version