Author Topic: What Ballet Music Are You Listening To Now?  (Read 6554 times)

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
Re: What Ballet Music Are You Listening To Now?
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2021, 06:11:55 AM »
New acquirement, first listen.

French Music for Ballet.

Henri Sauguet.
Les Forains.

Jules Massenet.
Ballet Suite from Herodiade.

Jacques Ibert.
Les Amours de Jupiter.

Estonia National SO, Neeme Järvi

This is one great feast of listening extravaganza.. Such fine Ballet music, expertly played and recorded. Ballet is my first love in classical music, and I wallow in this brand new release.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 08:43:49 AM by "Harry" »
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2021, 03:31:04 AM »
Lately I've been exploring some versions of Stravinsky's Apollo, and have heard some excellent recent ones (such as a livestream last week from Daniel Harding and the Concertgebouw).

Last weekend, the great dancer Jacques d'Amboise died, at age 86. (In the U.S., he may be best recalled for his work in the film Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.) But I had forgotten that he was known for Apollo. As usual, YouTube to the rescue: Here's a 1960 video, with d'Amboise in the version choreographed by George Balanchine, and it's pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFJRt1DVa0I

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
  • Currently Listening to:
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2021, 01:41:11 AM »
Igor Stravinsky
Pulcinella
Jeu de cartes

Teresa Berganza, Ryland Davies, John Shirley-Quirk
London Symphony Orchestra
Claudio Abbado

From Abbado's LSO years, a joyous recording.

As a Yank from the west of the Atlantic, is it strange that I love John Shirley-Quirk's baritone so much? I gobble up anything I can find him, usually oratorios and sacred works, but he is consistently terrific.
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2021, 03:41:44 AM »
Igor Stravinsky
Pulcinella
Jeu de cartes

Claudio Abbado

As a Yank from the west of the Atlantic, is it strange that I love John Shirley-Quirk's baritone so much? I gobble up anything I can find him, usually oratorios and sacred works, but he is consistently terrific.
A great recording indeed, and probably my favourite of this miraculous score. And Teresa Berganza is wonderful in her part as well....
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Je me suis rarement perdu de vue ; je me suis détesté, je me suis adoré ; puis, nous avons vieilli ensemble. »

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2021, 08:11:23 AM »
Igor Stravinsky
Pulcinella
Jeu de cartes

Claudio Abbado

VS - why should this be strange?!  For me Shirley-Quirk's voice is synonymous with so much of my favourite British music (well he was the go-to baritone for EMI for pretty much all of it!). A golden age of recording caught a golden voice in its prime.  His performances will remain reference recordings for me - not exlusively the best but the one the others have to beat......

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
  • Currently Listening to:
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2021, 08:29:44 AM »
VS - why should this be strange?!  For me Shirley-Quirk's voice is synonymous with so much of my favourite British music (well he was the go-to baritone for EMI for pretty much all of it!). A golden age of recording caught a golden voice in its prime.  His performances will remain reference recordings for me - not exlusively the best but the one the others have to beat......

For me, I find JS-Q wonderfully consistent. Whether it is Bach's B minor Mass with Marriner, Elgar's Light of Life with Hickox late in his career, or this Stravinsky with Abbado, literature I assume was out of his wheelhouse, I am always enchanted with his abilities.

I suppose, though, steady as a rock as opposed to starry or exotic.

VS
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”