What Ballet Music Are You Listening To Now?

Started by Brahmsian, March 08, 2021, 10:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

New acquirement, first listen.

French Music for Ballet.

Henri Sauguet.
Les Forains.

Jules Massenet.
Ballet Suite from Herodiade.

Jacques Ibert.
Les Amours de Jupiter.

Estonia National SO, Neeme Järvi

This is one great feast of listening extravaganza.. Such fine Ballet music, expertly played and recorded. Ballet is my first love in classical music, and I wallow in this brand new release.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

bhodges

Lately I've been exploring some versions of Stravinsky's Apollo, and have heard some excellent recent ones (such as a livestream last week from Daniel Harding and the Concertgebouw).

Last weekend, the great dancer Jacques d'Amboise died, at age 86. (In the U.S., he may be best recalled for his work in the film Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.) But I had forgotten that he was known for Apollo. As usual, YouTube to the rescue: Here's a 1960 video, with d'Amboise in the version choreographed by George Balanchine, and it's pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFJRt1DVa0I

--Bruce

VonStupp

Igor Stravinsky
Pulcinella
Jeu de cartes

Teresa Berganza, Ryland Davies, John Shirley-Quirk
London Symphony Orchestra
Claudio Abbado

From Abbado's LSO years, a joyous recording.

As a Yank from the west of the Atlantic, is it strange that I love John Shirley-Quirk's baritone so much? I gobble up anything I can find him, usually oratorios and sacred works, but he is consistently terrific.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

ritter

Quote from: VonStupp on June 12, 2021, 02:41:11 AM
Igor Stravinsky
Pulcinella
Jeu de cartes

Claudio Abbado

As a Yank from the west of the Atlantic, is it strange that I love John Shirley-Quirk's baritone so much? I gobble up anything I can find him, usually oratorios and sacred works, but he is consistently terrific.
A great recording indeed, and probably my favourite of this miraculous score. And Teresa Berganza is wonderful in her part as well....

Roasted Swan

Quote from: VonStupp on June 12, 2021, 02:41:11 AM
Igor Stravinsky
Pulcinella
Jeu de cartes

Claudio Abbado

VS - why should this be strange?!  For me Shirley-Quirk's voice is synonymous with so much of my favourite British music (well he was the go-to baritone for EMI for pretty much all of it!). A golden age of recording caught a golden voice in its prime.  His performances will remain reference recordings for me - not exlusively the best but the one the others have to beat......

VonStupp

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 09, 2021, 09:11:23 AM
VS - why should this be strange?!  For me Shirley-Quirk's voice is synonymous with so much of my favourite British music (well he was the go-to baritone for EMI for pretty much all of it!). A golden age of recording caught a golden voice in its prime.  His performances will remain reference recordings for me - not exlusively the best but the one the others have to beat......

For me, I find JS-Q wonderfully consistent. Whether it is Bach's B minor Mass with Marriner, Elgar's Light of Life with Hickox late in his career, or this Stravinsky with Abbado, literature I assume was out of his wheelhouse, I am always enchanted with his abilities.

I suppose, though, steady as a rock as opposed to starry or exotic.

VS

VonStupp

Igor Stravinsky
Le Baiser de la fée (The Fairy's Kiss)

Cleveland Orchestra - Oliver Knussen
(rec. 1995)

Just out of the mailbox:

A plush, Romantic outing from Stravinsky, this ballet would serve as an easy introduction for anyone hesitant to explore his music. The quotes and elaborations of Tchaikovsky's Nur wer die Sehnsucht kennt towards the end is beautiful.

I only know Knussen for his modernist compositions, but I like what I hear from him here as conductor. Cleveland is outstanding!

VS

Tsaraslondon

The Tchaikovsky ballets really are wonderful. I understand when Sleeping Beauty is cited as his masterpiece, but I love all three scores equally, to be honest.

These LSO Previn recordings were very well received when they first came out and, though there are no doubt some better recordings and performances of the individual ballets, they still stand up well today. The digital transfer here is a little on the bright side and apparently Warner have now re-mastered them and issued them with a different cover.

Still. I'm finding these very enjoyable.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

LKB

Quote from: VonStupp on July 09, 2021, 09:29:44 AM
For me, I find JS-Q wonderfully consistent. Whether it is Bach's B minor Mass with Marriner, Elgar's Light of Life with Hickox late in his career, or this Stravinsky with Abbado, literature I assume was out of his wheelhouse, I am always enchanted with his abilities.

I suppose, though, steady as a rock as opposed to starry or exotic.

VS

JS-Q was the reason l became an operatic baritone over 40 years ago.

There aren't many videos of him in action, but at least there's this:

https://youtu.be/OEo2e2PnhuM
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

VonStupp

Quote from: LKB on June 18, 2022, 07:04:30 AM
JS-Q was the reason l became an operatic baritone over 40 years ago.

There aren't many videos of him in action, but at least there's this:

https://youtu.be/OEo2e2PnhuM

What a wonderful video. Thank you for sharing!

Having listened to Shirley-Quirk a few times this week already, I am just as enchanted with him as ever.

Terrific to hear his influence on you, a sentiment I can understand on hearing him sing.

I don't know his stage work as much as his concert repertoire of oratorios and the like, but I might wend that way if there are available recordings.

VS

Wendell_E

Not a big ballet fan, but I got a mailer from Mobile Ballet that they're doing Swan Lake on Mar. 25 & 26. They mention that the first performance has a live orchestra, implying that the second doesn't. I guess the players will be busy with Mobile Opera's La Rondine that afternoon. Anyway, I decided to go, and in preparation took a break from opera, and listened to Dutoit's 1992 Decca recording with the OSM on Amazon Music.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Brahmsian

CD 1: Saison 1909

Nikolai Tcherepnin
Le Pavillon d'Armide
Moscow Symphony
Henry Shek

A first listen!

This is very lovely so far.  I will be posting my impressions of Ballets russes Warner set here.  :) I will not necessarily be going in chronological order, although I did start with Disc 1 as I was very curious about the Tcherepnin.  8)

Particular standouts for me were:

VII. Variations (particularly the sublime Grave final variation)
XII. Danse des bouffons
XV. Grande valse finale (including a rip roaring coda!!)

Brahmsian

CD 8: Saison 1911

Igor Stravinsky
Petrouchka
City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
Sir Simon Rattle

A very good performance, although I still prefer Monteux/BSO and Stravinsky conducting.

Paul Dukas
Le Peri
Orchestre National de l'O.R.T.F.
Jean Martinon

A nice surprise.  Never heard this piece before.  Very colourful and elaborate orchestration!

Saison 1912

Claude Debussy
Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune
Berlin Philharmoninc
Sir Simon Rattle

It's nice, but nothing extraordinary, as I'm just not big on Debussy in general.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 13, 2023, 10:57:59 AMCD 8: Saison 1911

Igor Stravinsky
Petrouchka
Sir Simon Rattle

A very good performance, although I still prefer Monteux/BSO and Stravinsky conducting.

Paul Dukas
Le Peri
Jean Martinon

A nice surprise.  Never heard this piece before.  Very colourful and elaborate orchestration!

Saison 1912

Claude Debussy
Berlin Philharmoninc
Sir Simon Rattle

It's nice, but nothing extraordinary, as I'm just not big on Debussy in general.

Thanks for your reviews.  Must admit, though, that I do feel rather sad reading your Debussy comment.  Hope that he grows on you over time.  :) Lots of gorgeos music there!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 13, 2023, 12:06:04 PMThanks for your reviews.  Must admit, though, that I do feel rather sad reading your Debussy comment.  Hope that he grows on you over time.  :) Lots of gorgeos music there!

PD

I'm probably a little harsh on Debussy. I have from time to time enjoyed some things, but it is always tepid enthusiasm.  I realize he is a very popular and very major composer.  Just happens to be one of my blind spots.  :)

JBS

To be fair I've heard Foreplay to the Afternoon of a Mythical Humanoid so often it usually bores me now. It's too famous for its own good.

My copy of the Warner set is supposed to land tomorrow.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 13, 2023, 12:08:03 PMI'm probably a little harsh on Debussy. I have from time to time enjoyed some things, but it is always tepid enthusiasm.  I realize he is a very popular and very major composer.  Just happens to be one of my blind spots.  :)
That's o.k.  I'm sure that I have my blind spots too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: JBS on March 13, 2023, 06:12:27 PMTo be fair I've heard Foreplay to the Afternoon of a Mythical Humanoid so often it usually bores me now. It's too famous for its own good.

;D That gave me a good chuckle!  I hope you enjoy the Warner set.  :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on March 13, 2023, 06:12:27 PMTo be fair I've heard Foreplay to the Afternoon of a Mythical Humanoid so often it usually bores me now. It's too famous for its own good.

Once every year or so suits me with that piece (I certainly enjoyed participating when the College of Wooster Orchestra played it. Having a seat inside those lush sonorities is the bee's knees.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 13, 2023, 10:57:59 AMCD 8: Saison 1911

Igor Stravinsky
Petrouchka
Sir Simon Rattle

Paul Dukas
Le Peri
Jean Martinon

Saison 1912

Claude Debussy
Berlin Philharmoninc
Sir Simon Rattle

The nature of this set is such that it will probably of necessity be a bit of a mixed bag for us who already have a substantial library of our favorites. I find myself quite openly embracing the pot-pourri.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot