Mahler Das Lied - von Otter / Rattle / CBSO?

Started by 5against4, March 10, 2021, 12:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5against4

i've recently finished journeying through Simon Rattle's EMI box set of all the Mahler Symphonies, and was struck by an oddity that occurs on one of the final discs. Tagged onto the end of the Das Klagende Lied disc, there's a 3-minute 'extract' from Der Abschied featuring Anne Sofie von Otter. The complete version of Das Lied Von Der Erde is on the next disc and features Thomas Hampson and Peter Seiffert, so it's left me wondering about that tantalising 3-minute recording.

The same extract is included on one of Simon Rattle's 'Leaving Home' discs (accompanying the TV series), but that's all i can find. There doesn't appear to have ever been a complete release of Das Lied Von Der Erde featuring von Otter with the CBSO and Simon Rattle.

Does anyone know anything more about this - perhaps a recording i've missed? Or maybe that extract was recorded specifically for the TV series?
It's such a gorgeous 3-minute clip that it left me gagging to hear them do a complete performance!

relm1

Quote from: 5against4 on March 10, 2021, 12:26:24 AM
i've recently finished journeying through Simon Rattle's EMI box set of all the Mahler Symphonies, and was struck by an oddity that occurs on one of the final discs. Tagged onto the end of the Das Klagende Lied disc, there's a 3-minute 'extract' from Der Abschied featuring Anne Sofie von Otter. The complete version of Das Lied Von Der Erde is on the next disc and features Thomas Hampson and Peter Seiffert, so it's left me wondering about that tantalising 3-minute recording.

The same extract is included on one of Simon Rattle's 'Leaving Home' discs (accompanying the TV series), but that's all i can find. There doesn't appear to have ever been a complete release of Das Lied Von Der Erde featuring von Otter with the CBSO and Simon Rattle.

Does anyone know anything more about this - perhaps a recording i've missed? Or maybe that extract was recorded specifically for the TV series?
It's such a gorgeous 3-minute clip that it left me gagging to hear them do a complete performance!

Isn't it available in full here:
https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/concert/2493

Not as a cd but as video.

5against4

Quote from: relm1 on March 10, 2021, 05:46:39 AM
Isn't it available in full here:
https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/concert/2493

Not as a cd but as video.
No, the performance in the 3-minute recording is with the CBSO. (i'm aware of the ones with the Berlin Phil; there's another on there with Abbado)