Author Topic: Let’s make American music great again  (Read 647 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Let’s make American music great again
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 10:55:28 AM »
And another goodie, this time defo Braxton in the loop even if his name is in smaller letters on the cover. This is musiking if the highest order - I can appreciate it even though it’s all people blowing down metal pipes.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline T. D.

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2021, 07:27:37 PM »
The Trillium J opera really appeals to me because it comes in a CD + Blu-Ray package and I'd strongly prefer to see the production, not just listen. Unfortunately, I don't own a Blu-Ray player, which makes it impractical since the package is already pricey.

In contrast, I enjoy the Robert Ashley "television operas" on recording without visuals, since the libretti are prominent and fairly easy to follow. And I can manage without the minimalist TV-style video I've seen on Youtube.

As far as Braxton playing others, I like the Charlie Parker Project (2 CDs on hatology, the 11-disc reissue on Braxton House was too much to consider) and Six Monk's Compositions (Black Saint), but doubt you'd care for those. I couldn't connect at all with the Braxton / Ran Blake Memories of Vienna album of standards (hatology), but maybe not just due to Braxton. Haven't been sufficiently curious about the Tristano projects (in either incarnation, old single CD or newer 7-CD megapackage) to listen. Never heard the Ellington, should give it a spin.

Will have to listen to the Roscoe Mitchell recording. I've enjoyed Mitchell's music in a more "jazz" context (incl. AEC) but have not always been impressed by his notated works. I like Braxton's playing on Dave Holland's Conference of the Birds (ECM), but wouldn't recommend it to you.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2021, 08:06:00 AM »
I think the earlier music shows some sort of resemblance to ideas in Stockhausen or Boulez, one I’ve started to explore is B-Xo/N-0-1-47a. And This Time. Someone I know who likes jazz hates this stuff, saying it sounds to planned in advance, too unspontaneous. But I’m used to that I guess.

I’ve decided that the music I’ve heard with the ABQ is not for me at the moment, I don’t like the sound of it! Too jazzy! But this earlier recording, with a different lineup, has some music which has caught my attention - Compositions 101 and 88 for example.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 03:50:24 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen