Let’s make American music great again

Started by Mandryka, March 15, 2021, 01:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Large sections of Duet 1 sound like a three part motet to me, with tenor, motetus and triplum. It would be nice to see the score. This is outstanding music making, by the way.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Larry Polansky's 4 voice canons is Art of Fugue type stuff, not fugues but canons, never as complex as Bach's, and there's only so many ways you can ring the changes on a four voice canon. But nevertheless very beautiful, austere and expressive. Highly recommended

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on June 30, 2021, 08:57:43 AM

Larry Polansky's 4 voice canons is Art of Fugue type stuff, not fugues but canons, never as complex as Bach's, and there's only so many ways you can ring the changes on a four voice canon. But nevertheless very beautiful, austere and expressive. Highly recommended

One of the thing that Polansky does is use intoning, declaiming voices in contrapuntal structures. This seems to me a distinctively American thing. Partch is big on intonation, but it's Robert Ashley who used them in polyphony first as far as I know - here for example

T. D.

Mandryka

Enjoying this tonight, especially Uncle Jard.

Roy Bland

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on March 15, 2021, 12:39:17 PM

Started to explore Scott Fields' Seven Deserts after reading  Todd McComb's  review on his website. This is seriously good music, complex polyphony, aleatoric, improvisational sections which are responsive to the timbres of the instrument, often very inspired and fresh, spontaneous sounding.

https://www.scottfields.com/todd-mccomb

Very much enjoying returning to this one, for the first time in over a year I think  - I shall have to explore Scott Fields some more.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mandryka on June 20, 2022, 11:36:51 PM
Very much enjoying returning to this one, for the first time in over a year I think  - I shall have to explore Scott Fields some more.

Interesting, thanks.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

Mandryka

Rochberg said that Circles of Fire is the "grand summation" of his musical thinking (in Robert R. Reilly and George Rochberg, "The Recovery of Modern Music: George Rochberg in Conversation" Tempo (Jan., 2002). )

I've been listening to it, there's a recording on Naxos. It's certainly long, serious and he maybe has found a voice of his own.

https://www.naxos.com/MainSite/BlurbsReviews/?itemcode=8.559631&catnum=559631&filetype=AboutThisRecording&language=English

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on December 10, 2022, 07:48:04 AMRochberg said that Circles of Fire is the "grand summation" of his musical thinking (in Robert R. Reilly and George Rochberg, "The Recovery of Modern Music: George Rochberg in Conversation" Tempo (Jan., 2002). )

I've been listening to it, there's a recording on Naxos. It's certainly long, serious and he maybe has found a voice of his own.

https://www.naxos.com/MainSite/BlurbsReviews/?itemcode=8.559631&catnum=559631&filetype=AboutThisRecording&language=English

Back to this and I can say this: it's entertaining music - long though!

Roy Bland

Maestro267

relm1

I quite enjoyed this new release by Justin Dello Joio featuring his beautiful Piano Concerto.  Justin is a 7th generation composer from the Dello Joio family.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: relm1 on November 28, 2023, 05:19:18 AMI quite enjoyed this new release by Justin Dello Joio featuring his beautiful Piano Concerto.  Justin is a 7th generation composer from the Dello Joio family.

I listened to this recently.  One of those pieces I respected more than I enjoyed.  Well and convincingly played by all involved I thought but I didn't (still don't) "get it".  Restless and troubled would be my descriptors rather than beautiful - especially so given Dello Joio's explanation of the title and how the work came to be written.....

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Mandryka on April 03, 2021, 01:43:57 PMAnyone know anything about Anthony Braxton? What's he about - graphic scores?

Haven't seen this thread before. I've had a soft spot for anything Braxton does for a very long time. Started buying his albums back in the mid seventies. I like almost everything he touches. I think that some of his directions, such as those related to Ghost Trance Music, might be of interest to fans of serious music. Try Ninetet's (Yoshi's) volumes. At one time I was struck by the likeness of Braxton's GTM with such Pettersson symphonies as the 9th.

I've been listening to some of Braxton's Standards large sets during this year, but they'll probably be too jazzy for you.

Relating the topic as a whole, I have long been and continue to be interested in La Monte Young. Would like to hear your impressions about his Well-Tuned Piano set.

T. D.

I got a recording of one of Braxton's Trillium operas (R) and it's very good, far exceeded expectations. Have long vaguely considered recordings of his piano music (a comprehensive set on Leo or a smaller one on Hat), but was not bowled over by what I heard on Youtube.

Have a fair number of recordings (Braxton's discography is so large it's only a sample), am kind of a fan but not unqualified. Not convinced by his standards playing but do enjoy the Charlie Parker Project on Hat (passed on the later jumbo box). Like his recordings that include Marilyn Crispell but doubt that stuff is to Mandryka's taste.

Mandryka

Quote from: AnotherSpin on November 28, 2023, 06:39:24 AMRelating the topic as a whole, I have long been and continue to be interested in La Monte Young. Would like to hear your impressions about his Well-Tuned Piano set.

I would like to know more about it - the chords. I'd also like to hear it in concert. It's very exciting music, it seems to go in waves, ecstatic then contemplative. The tuning creates some extraordinary effects -- just in terms of sounds, resonances, it is very special.  I love the end, from about 2:27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p24TxOmJmv4&ab_channel=Isonpgn

This is worth watching I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luzZCWa-HIY&ab_channel=12tone

And here he is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2wOM_2PS1M&ab_channel=DiaArtFoundation

There's a recording of Feldman's Palais de Mari which is supposedly inspired by Well Tuned Piano, by Pavlos Antoniadis. You'll find it on his soundcloud.