Which Composer(s) Do You Have the Complete Works of?

Started by Florestan, March 28, 2021, 09:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 29, 2021, 09:22:22 AM
Saved for streaming  ;D

According to Idagio under Wagner's works (maybe I should have gone there before asking the question  0:) ), there are also a few songs, a polka, some polonaises...  :o
A Wagner polka?!?! That could pair ideally with Peter Schickele's "Last Tango in Bayreuth," a tango arrangement of all of his operas into one short work...for four bassoons!

Brahmsian

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 29, 2021, 08:12:28 AM
Mahler
Stravinsky (if that Sony boxset is it)
Vaughan Williams (EMI Edition)
Tallis (Brilliant)
Victoria ? (complete Sacred works, it that it ?)
Wagner (Solti - did Wagner did anything beyond operas? Not that I have really listened to them yet anyway :-[ )

I think that's it.

You forgot Varese  :D  I think you have that.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 29, 2021, 10:20:39 AM
I hope you add the complete Debussy and Ravel to this list soon.

Those 2 Warner boxes are visually very tempting. I'll decide when I have sampled more.
Olivier

flyingdutchman

To think that this discussion could never have taken place in the era of LPs (or for most people anyway).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 29, 2021, 10:29:55 AM
Those 2 Warner boxes are visually very tempting. I'll decide when I have sampled more.

Don't drag your heels for too much longer. Availability should be kept in mind for these sets.

Crudblud

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 29, 2021, 07:53:40 AM
You don't own all of Stravinsky's, Schoenberg's or Berg's oeuvre?
I have a reasonably comprehensive overview of Stravinsky and Schoenberg, but certainly not complete in either case. Berg I don't have very much of at all, I admire the Violin Concerto and the Chamber Concerto greatly but I've never been especially fond of his music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Crudblud on March 29, 2021, 12:10:08 PM
I have a reasonably comprehensive overview of Stravinsky and Schoenberg, but certainly not complete in either case. Berg I don't have very much of at all, I admire the Violin Concerto and the Chamber Concerto greatly but I've never been especially fond of his music.

Berg was love on first-listen for me. Incredible composer. Just the other night upon revisitation of his Der Wein, I was blown away.

Papy Oli

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 29, 2021, 10:24:09 AM
You forgot Varese  :D  I think you have that.

I have streamed it, Ray, never got an urge beyond that  ;D
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: Brian on March 29, 2021, 10:23:47 AM
A Wagner polka?!?! That could pair ideally with Peter Schickele's "Last Tango in Bayreuth," a tango arrangement of all of his operas into one short work...for four bassoons!

A polka in G Major apparently !!
Olivier

Florestan

Quote from: Florestan on March 28, 2021, 09:38:24 AM
Chopin

I just counted and it turns out I have no less than ten complete or almost complete Chopin boxsets: Ashkenazy, el-Bacha, Francois, Harasziewicz, Magaloff, de Maria, Ohlsson, Rubinstein (1960s), the DG Edition and The Real Chopin Edition.  :o

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

bhodges

Quote from: flyingdutchman on March 29, 2021, 11:47:06 AM
To think that this discussion could never have taken place in the era of LPs (or for most people anyway).

What an interesting thought, and you are very likely right. If there is one benefit to the digital age, it is the explosion of recorded repertoire, including composers and works that didn't get much attention previously.

--Bruce

MusicTurner

Quote from: Brewski on March 30, 2021, 05:33:46 AM
What an interesting thought, and you are very likely right. If there is one benefit to the digital age, it is the explosion of recorded repertoire, including composers and works that didn't get much attention previously.

--Bruce

It could have taken place, and you could own the complete works by some composers, including Mozart (Philips) and Beethoven (DG), Brahms (DG), Bartok (Hungaroton), Prokofiev (Melodiya, if they finished the project), Chopin (Muza), Szymanowski (?; Muza), Eisler (Eterna), Rachmaninoff (various labels), Schumann (various labels) and - just about - Stravinsky (CBS), Schubert (various labels),  Bach (various labels),  Ruggles' (CBS), Griffes (various labels), Scriabin (various labels), but the number of composers would overall be significantly smaller.

Speaking of that, I forgot that I have Louis Ferdinand of Preussen's complete works - it's a German LP box:
https://www.discogs.com/Louis-Ferdinand-von-Preu%C3%9Fen-Das-Gesamtwerk/release/17806222

DavidW

Quote from: flyingdutchman on March 29, 2021, 11:47:06 AM

Nor the era of streaming.  It is really particular to the era of cds in between the two.

Gurn Blanston

Haydn, except insofar as there are a couple of dances that have never been recorded. Not MY fault, I would have them.
Mozart
Beethoven
Schubert - there again, there are a few3 works that have never been recorded, possibly not even ever played! :o

There are several composers who I have a great pisspot full of their music. Or all their chamber music. This is because that is the way I tend to collect music, I find a composer I like and get every work he composed, if at all possible. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 30, 2021, 06:48:01 PM
Haydn, except insofar as there are a couple of dances that have never been recorded. Not MY fault, I would have them.
Mozart
Beethoven
Schubert - there again, there are a few3 works that have never been recorded, possibly not even ever played! :o

There are several composers who I have a great pisspot full of their music. Or all their chamber music. This is because that is the way I tend to collect music, I find a composer I like and get every work he composed, if at all possible. :)

8)

What are the Haydn & Schubert lacunæ? Are free scores available? Not the same, of course, but one might realize them via MIDI.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 30, 2021, 07:56:57 PM
What are the Haydn & Schubert lacunæ? Are free scores available? Not the same, of course, but one might realize them via MIDI.

I don't know about Haydn, but for Schubert there are sets with complete Lieder, complete piano music both solo and four hands / duet, complete symphonies, complete orchestral music, complete string quartets, complete piano trios, complete works for violin and piano, possibly complete chamber music other than SQs and PTs, complete masses, complete choral works. I'm pretty sure only very few of his operas were recorded, though.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Florestan

Quote from: Florestan on March 29, 2021, 11:59:55 PM
I just counted and it turns out I have no less than ten complete or almost complete Chopin boxsets: Ashkenazy, el-Bacha, Francois, Harasziewicz, Magaloff, de Maria, Ohlsson, Rubinstein (1960s), the DG Edition and The Real Chopin Edition.  :o

The count was wrong, I have eleven actually, as I forgot about the EMI 200th Anniversary Edition.  :laugh:

MusicTurner

Yet for Chopin, there's also the songs and the chamber music ...

Florestan

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 31, 2021, 04:25:29 AM
Yet for Chopin, there's also the songs snd the chamber music ...

Included in: Ohlsson, the DG Edition, The Real Chopin Edition and the EMI 200th Anniversary Edition. Also, recorded by Nikita Magaloff and Leyla Gencer so that can be included in the Magaloff set.

DavidW