Which Composer(s) Do You Have the Complete Works of?

Started by Florestan, March 28, 2021, 09:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Philipp Schoendorff
Decaux
Debussy
Ravel
Scriabin
Rachmaninoff
Mahler
Varèse
Berg
Webern
Boulez
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

arpeggio

Beethoven
Webern
Britten
I think I have all of the band works of Granger.

Mirror Image

Off the top of my head: Debussy, Ravel, Bartók, Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Berg, Webern, Varèse, Chopin, Liszt, Mahler, Bruckner, Janáček, Boulez, Ruggles, Scriabin, Fauré, Enescu, Sibelius, Bernstein, R. Strauss, Ligeti, Boulez, Falla, Poulenc, Boulanger, Lutosławski, Szymanowski, Britten, Walton, Mussorgsky, Rachmaninov, Berlioz, Beethoven, Brahms, Messiaen and Takemitsu (although I might have to double check this as I might be missing his songs).

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on March 28, 2021, 11:53:02 AM
You also have Bach on a stick, don't you?

Ah, yes, indeed! A reprehensible omission on my part.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

springrite

Not really a completist, I think I have:

Bach
Webern
Decaux
Mahler
Verdi
Bruckner
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on March 28, 2021, 12:30:24 PM
Exactly what I expected of you, Jeffrey.  :D
Haha  :)
There are probably some others too Andrei (Havergal Brian, Walton, Holst, Bruckner, Rimsky Korsakov?)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Probably only Mahler and Varese as they have a relatively compact output. Of everybody else I have enough.

Crudblud

Varèse and Webern, both several times over. I was going to say Mahler but I don't have the Lieder und Gesänge or Das klagende Lied.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Crudblud on March 29, 2021, 07:47:54 AM
Varèse and Webern, both several times over. I was going to say Mahler but I don't have the Lieder und Gesänge or Das klagende Lied.

You don't own all of Stravinsky's, Schoenberg's or Berg's oeuvre?

Old San Antone

Since I've been streaming music my big box purchases has dwindled to almost none.  I bought the Stravinsky long brick way back, as well as the Boulez complete Webern, and recently the Boulez complete works.  But I never bought any of those complete editions of the big names: Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc.   Most of the ones I'm interested in are available to stream, e.g. Debussy and Ravel

Also a Spotify classical music editor has curated complete chronological playlists of many composers.

Papy Oli

Mahler
Stravinsky (if that Sony boxset is it)
Vaughan Williams (EMI Edition)
Tallis (Brilliant)
Victoria ? (complete Sacred works, it that it ?)
Wagner (Solti - did Wagner did anything beyond operas? Not that I have really listened to them yet anyway :-[ )

I think that's it.
Olivier

Brian

Berlioz - Warner box
Brahms - Brilliant
Chopin - Hyperion/Ohlsson
Rachmaninov - Brilliant
Ravel - Warner

That is all but I am probably close on Fauré and Dukas.

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 29, 2021, 08:12:28 AM
Wagner (Solti - did Wagner did anything beyond operas? Not that I have really listened to them yet anyway :-[ )
There is at least one very early and very immature symphony, and I think maybe a concert overture with no opera attached. Find the symphony here if you are worried about missing out ( ;D ) https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573413

Edit: similar story with Richard Strauss, two very very early symphonies, and I believe one of them (the minor key one) has only ever been recorded twice, one on Koch and one on Marco Polo, so collecting the complete R. Strauss would be very challenging.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Brian on March 29, 2021, 09:08:07 AM
There is at least one very early and very immature symphony, and I think maybe a concert overture with no opera attached. Find the symphony here if you are worried about missing out ( ;D ) https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573413

Saved for streaming  ;D

According to Idagio under Wagner's works (maybe I should have gone there before asking the question  0:) ), there are also a few songs, a polka, some polonaises...  :o
Olivier

Florestan

Wagner also wrote two discs (I think) worth of piano music.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on March 29, 2021, 09:37:57 AM
Wagner also wrote two discs (I think) worth of piano music.
Indeed, plus the Siegfried-Idyll, a symphony and a half, some songs (other than the Wesendonck), several concert overtures, the Kinderkathezismus, and choral stuff (including the strange Das Liebesmahl der Apostel). Then there's his arrangement of Gluck's Iphigénie auf Aulis (like that, auf Deutsch  ;) ), and really off the beaten track, his arrangements for two violins of themes from Donizetti's La Favorite.

I think I have it all...what I haven't been able to locate is the aria he wrote to interpolate in Bellini's Norma...  The quest continues...:( ::) ;D

Papy Oli

Maybe I should have bought a boxset that regroups all that instead of the operas  0:)
Olivier

JBS

There's this set for most but not all of his miscellaneous works

ETA
It seems that my idea that I had all his music was wrong, as there are some things mentioned I know I don't have.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

bhodges

Varèse (for the reason cited above: only 2 discs) and Mahler. That's it, though other composers come close.

(Caveat: I have heard more works than I own.)

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 29, 2021, 08:12:28 AM
Mahler
Stravinsky (if that Sony boxset is it)
Vaughan Williams (EMI Edition)
Tallis (Brilliant)
Victoria ? (complete Sacred works, it that it ?)

I think that's it.

I hope you add the complete Debussy and Ravel to this list soon.

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 28, 2021, 10:04:52 AM
Berg
Brahms
Rachmaninoff
Ravel
Schoenberg
Stravinsky
Varèse
Webern

Surprised not to see Debussy on this list, Karl.