Which Composer(s) Do You Have the Complete Works of?

Started by Florestan, March 28, 2021, 09:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

DavidW

Quote from: arpeggio on April 03, 2021, 08:23:10 PM
I am sorry.  I apologize for the posts.

What!?  That was the most interesting part of the thread.  It actually had me looking over bassoon concerto recordings of Vivalid, and adding some to my Qobuz library for later.  Trying to remember which ones I had heard.

DavidW

But I did enjoy my mental image of Karl being assigned to review a complete Telemann edition! :laugh:

Carlo Gesualdo

This is a hard task for me, since plenty of composer I have all there stuff, you know me by now it's renaissance composers, you will see:

Franco-Flemish school of kingdom of burgundy composer
. Dufay, Josquin, Ockeghem, Lassus, Crécquillon, DE Wert,  Gombert, Rogier, Manchicourt, Clémens and last but not least Cypriano Di Rore.

Italians Palestrina, Luzzaschi, Gesualdo, Sigismondo DIndia (a god) beyong words for my stander.

Jo498

I first thought: None!
But thinking a bit and looking on my shelves, it seems that I do have reasonably complete

- Corelli (Brilliant box)
- Chopin (DG box)
- Mahler (I am missing Blumine and the Weber completion but have two recordings of the piano
- Berg

pretty close (I am missing a few pieces, not only totally obscure ones but I am too lazy to check the details and don't really care to close the small gaps) l must be with

- Ockeghem (Gaudeamus box, not sure how complete it is)
- Beethoven (I lack e.g. Der glorreiche Augenblick but I have the two early cantatas and all Irish/Scottish etc. songs)
- Brahms (maybe a few lieder but I must have most of them, not aware of any other major lacunae)
- Bruckner (none of the early piano stuff and also missing a few lesser known choral pieces)
- Webern (not sure)

With JS Bach I still lack a quarter or more of the cantatas; I think I have all or most of the rest. This is the only gap I expect to eventually close. Also Schubert's lieder (I am not going for all of his operas and early church pieces, though). Schumann also must be very small gaps (choral, incidental, lieder, it cannot be much). The same with Stravinsky, I guess.

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

JBS

Quote from: Jo498 on June 05, 2021, 01:56:01 PM
I first thought: None!
But thinking a bit and looking on my shelves, it seems that I do have reasonably complete

- Corelli (Brilliant box)
- Chopin (DG box)
- Mahler (I am missing Blumine and the Weber completion but have two recordings of the piano
- Berg

pretty close (I am missing a few pieces, not only totally obscure ones but I am too lazy to check the details and don't really care to close the small gaps) l must be with

- Ockeghem (Gaudeamus box, not sure how complete it is)
- Beethoven (I lack e.g. Der glorreiche Augenblick but I have the two early cantatas and all Irish/Scottish etc. songs)
- Brahms (maybe a few lieder but I must have most of them, not aware of any other major lacunae)
- Bruckner (none of the early piano stuff and also missing a few lesser known choral pieces)
- Webern (not sure)

With JS Bach I still lack a quarter or more of the cantatas; I think I have all or most of the rest. This is the only gap I expect to eventually close. Also Schubert's lieder (I am not going for all of his operas and early church pieces, though). Schumann also must be very small gaps (choral, incidental, lieder, it cannot be much). The same with Stravinsky, I guess.

Checking quickly, the Gaudeamus Ockeghem seems to have only two secular chansons.
The Hyperion Schumann lieder set is a good way to get that segment of his work.
They're probably OOP, but EMI had nice sets of the complete choral works for both Schumann and Schubert.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Jo498

Yes, I didn't get that Ockeghem box with complete works in mind, just was not sure as it is not clear from the cover and there are some older composers with rather few extant works. (Like Bruhns; but I have only single works of his on anthologies.)
I have too many Schumann (and Schubert and Brahms) Lieder to get complete boxes, this would be too many doublings. I have the supposedly complete choral (without orchestra) works by Brahms on Brilliant and I am not sufficiently into a cappella (or choir + piano) to get the same for Schumann, Schubert, Mendelssohn, but I have anthologies with some of this repertoire.

As I wrote, my first reaction was that I don't have any oeuvre complete; I was a bit surprised to have 4 composers basically complete as I usually don't go for these boxes/editions nowadays but both the Corelli and the Chopin I got 10 or more years ago and they were both only moderately large and very cheap.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

premont

I own very few complete works of any composers. Partly because the composers, whom I am interested in, as a rule haven't got their complete works recorded, partly because the so called complete composer releases rarely are complete in a strict sense.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mirror Image

Quote from: absolutelybaching on June 15, 2021, 10:53:30 AM
Britten. Thanks to the Decca 2013 centenary box, plus numerous additions accumulated since 1982.
Vaughan Williams (as far as anyone can)
Bach, judging by BWV numbers
Mozart, judging by Koechels.
Vivaldi, if I go by current RV numbers.
Wagner.
Verdi.

Mostly, I despise collecting composers by completion. But I get the attraction. I try hard not to be a completionist!

That Britten Decca box set is one of the many gems of my collection. Such a tremendous set and remarkable presentation. I'd say anyone who is a Britten fan and missed this box set, should do their damnedest to track it down and buy it. I have to hand it to Decca in this instance --- they pulled out all the stops.

Mirror Image

Quote from: absolutelybaching on June 16, 2021, 12:28:48 AM
Agree re: the Decca box, but I see it now sells for ridiculous amounts of money, assuming you can ever see it listed for sale anywhere. I think they broke it out into sub-collections after 2013, so you can get the 'complete operas' and so on, but not the 'complete works' any more, which is a shame. You have to strike whilst the iron's hot these days, lest the dreaded 'out of print' hammer fall!

To the bold text, you certainly are right about that! I've made this mistake far too many times.