Buying a house somewhere? Some spectacular current deals, reports etc.

Started by MusicTurner, March 30, 2021, 07:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

The thread for posting any remarkable house deals you encounter. They can also be entertaining reading at times ...

In Denmark, prices have gone up in the recent years, including of course in the cities, and in spite of the virus situation.

Summer homes in the quiet provinces are particularly in demand. Like the one below, an old, modest fisherman's tiny house from 1775, of about 70 m2, in the fashionable Tisvildeleje coastal village, about 1.5 hours from Copenhagen. It was bought by a writer of cooking books in 1994 for about 90,000 Euros - and now it's been sold for a record-breaking 25 mio. DKK ~3 mio Euros.

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/penge/2021-03-30-lille-fiskerhus-er-blevet-solgt-for-25-millioner-kroner

MusicTurner

Yet on the same Danish market, you can buy similarly attractive, real houses, maybe in need for refurbishing, that are just a bit away in the provinces, for around 50,000 Euros and upwards. Like the one below, on the Langeland island, in the village of Humble ( :) ), with a couple of km or so to nice beaches on either side of the island ... yours for around 45,000 Euros. It's from around 1800. But ordinary jobs can be some commuting away. There's a bridge to the bigger island of Funen, though, and you don't need ferries ...

https://www.nybolig.dk/villa/5932/vesteregnsvej/270122/2069

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

MusicTurner

Very interesting to read about those cheap houses in Japan, which I hadn't heard of. Down to 50,000 JPY or 400 Euros for a house, and likewise very cheap rents!

The Italian villages offering house for ~nothing - I wonder if there won't be enough foreigners trying it, so that eventually at least some of the villages will come to life again, at least in parts of the season ... those photos were actually from an attractive little town, it seems.

DavidW

I'm considering a house that is a couple of doors down from where I'm renting.  It is a quiet street and a short walk to work.

MusicTurner

Quote from: DavidW on March 30, 2021, 08:50:04 AM
I'm considering a house that is a couple of doors down from where I'm renting.  It is a quiet street and a short walk to work.

Is that in the US? Unless I got a good, but unlikely offer via personal connections, finding another rental here in Copenhagen with about the same characteristics - or maybe some better ones, such as increased space - would be a major, further expense for me. Having lived here for many years, rental has been kept on an affordable level, without sudden, illegal changes. Yet, certainly, economical lodgings are (too) scarce here, though students for example have a better range of options just for them.

DavidW

Yup it is in the US.  My rent is low and it never increases.  So I haven't felt buying a house to be terribly urgent.

MusicTurner

The price of DKK 10 mio was unrealistically high; now they've reduced the price for this private Danish island, Masnedø Kalv, to about DKK 8.3 mio or 1.1 mio Euros.
It's about 100 km south of Copenhagen, but I think you don't get that much for the expenses involved, there are some huge bridges and industrial areas not so far away from it.

https://lutzau.dk/ejendom/kalvoe-1-vordingborg-19990000345/

It's 23,250 m2, with a functioning well, a sandy beach and solar panels, trouts in the water, and there's a cabin of 78 m2 too.

MusicTurner

The Swedish market has extreme variation, due to vast provincial areas. Generally, prices seem to have gone up in recent years.

Here's a lovely old house of 80 m2 and grounds of 50,000 m2, in the only fjord region in the country, "Höga Kusten", way up in the north, near Örnsköldsvik;
yours for only around 20,000 Euros.
https://www.fastighetsbyran.com/sv/sverige/objekt/?objektid=2467919

And below, a completely ruinous factory that requires really massive and creative investments, grounds 3900 m2, in the prestigious Motala/Medevi area in central Sweden. Yours for around 55,000 Euros, but the seller is open for bids.
https://www.fastighetsbyran.com/sv/sverige/objekt/?objektID=2466353

drogulus

Portugal seems very reasonable, particularly if you don't need to live in the Lisbon city center.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Some beautiful places for sale...particularly the ones you showed of in Sweden that I saw!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 24, 2021, 06:54:54 AM
Some beautiful places for sale...particularly the ones you showed of in Sweden that I saw!

PD

Yes, nice for a bit of 'armchair projects', at least :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 24, 2021, 09:43:16 AM
Yes, nice for a bit of 'armchair projects', at least :)
The one listed "Nybolig" in Denmark,  Trying to figure out what the situation is there.  I looks like it's surrounded by farm fields?  Does that come with the property, or is there some kind of access road to it?  Trying to visualize it.  Also, from the photo, it looks like the plantings are too close to the house.  Overgrown??  Pretty area though!

And, yes, particularly that former factory would be quite a challenge to fix up!  Could also possibly be some toxic stuff either inside the building or on the property.  Any idea what used to be made there?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 24, 2021, 09:58:14 AM
The one listed "Nybolig" in Denmark,  Trying to figure out what the situation is there.  I looks like it's surrounded by farm fields?  Does that come with the property, or is there some kind of access road to it?  Trying to visualize it.  Also, from the photo, it looks like the plantings are too close to the house.  Overgrown??  Pretty area though!

And, yes, particularly that former factory would be quite a challenge to fix up!  Could also possibly be some toxic stuff either inside the building or on the property.  Any idea what used to be made there?

PD

The Nybolig one on Langeland island/Humble village has now been marked as sold ('solgt'), for DKK 335,000, so there's no longer access to the many, accompanying pictures. The setting was very good, close to beaches and in a beautiful farmland area, the interiors light and clean in a simple-living country style, but oldish, and most people would choose to renovate some parts. There was a simple garden area, no fields. The house wasn't overgrown or abandoned. There is a track through beautiful greenery of maybe 100 m up to the house, from the local asphalt road.

The Swedish one is just a former dairy, that's been abandoned for 40 years. I guess you buy it for the grounds, the architectural shell, and the story; then you're supposed to have plenty of financial means to alter and refurbish the whole place ...

MusicTurner

A detailed CNN story from a couple of days ago, in this case from a remote hamlet with 16 km to a shop ...

"He bought a cheap house in Italy. This is what happened next"

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/he-bought-cheap-house-in-italy-cmd/index.html

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 25, 2021, 09:11:35 AM
A detailed CNN story from a couple of days ago, in this case from a remote hamlet with 16 km to a shop ...

"He bought a cheap house in Italy. This is what happened next"

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/he-bought-cheap-house-in-italy-cmd/index.html
I had heard of some houses selling for quite cheaply, but there's always a good reason as to why!  I'm glad that he's enjoying it there though.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

milk

I live in Japan. We paid the normal boatload of (borrowed) money for our house in Osaka. But, if you want to move out into the countryside, you can get a house almost free. You might need to put a lot of work into and you'll need to be able to drive here. The deals can be crazy but they're in Japanese ghost towns.

MusicTurner

Quote from: milk on June 29, 2021, 05:58:43 AM
I live in Japan. We paid the normal boatload of (borrowed) money for our house in Osaka. But, if you want to move out into the countryside, you can get a house almost free. You might need to put a lot of work into and you'll need to be able to drive here. The deals can be crazy but they're in Japanese ghost towns.

Maybe some of the remote islands are included in these low budget options, unless they are popular as vacation areas? There are tons of ​lovely archipelagos and islands in Japan ...  and the presence of the sea maybe makes one feel a bit less remote than in the mountains ...

I've been to the Oki islands, a community in itself (where we met a very friendly, female shop-owner who knew English and gave us a free tour in a car of one island), tiny, volcanic Iojima south of Kagoshima, and Shiraishi in the Inland Sea (which has Westerners among the residents), and loved them; also Tsushima, which seemed rather Korean and maybe a bit rougher in the general atmosphere ...

steve ridgway

Wow, I was under the impression that every habitable part of Japan was packed with people. :o

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 29, 2021, 06:59:52 AM
Maybe some of the remote islands are included in these low budget options, unless they are popular as vacation areas? There are tons of ​lovely archipelagos and islands in Japan ...  and the presence of the sea maybe makes one feel a bit less remote ...

I've been to the Oki islands, a community in itself (where we met a very friendly, female shop-owner who knew English and gave us a free tour in a car of one island), tiny, volcanic Iojima south of Kagoshima, and Shiraishi in the Inland Sea (which has Westerners among the residents), and loved them; also Tsushima, which seemed rather Korean and maybe a bit rougher in the general atmosphere ...

Milk,

Regarding "ghost towns", do you think that it's mostly a case of the youth moving to the cities for work?  I've also heard that there are problems of an aging population overall in Japan.

I'm sure that there are also places in the US where you can purchase property and homes for cheap...though I suspect that there would be the accompanying problems of lack of or low quality of certain services plus long driving times to get groceries, etc.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter