Author Topic: What TV series are you currently watching?  (Read 347301 times)

Offline Fëanor

• Veteran member
  • Shostie fan
Re: What TV series are you currently watching?
« Reply #2880 on: September 25, 2022, 02:42:06 AM »

Finally getting to this. And it is immediately addictive.

Yes, a great show that's won several awards.

I'll be watching CNN's The Murdochs: Empire of Influence tonight.  It seems pretty obvious that the Succession series was inspired by the real-life Murdoch sage.

Offline Fëanor

• Veteran member
  • Shostie fan
« Reply #2881 on: September 25, 2022, 04:38:00 AM »
As a J.R.R. Tolkien fan, I've be drawn to watch Amazon's Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power.

Amazon paid USD 250 million for rights that included the Lord of the Rings trilogy including appendices, and The Hobbit, certain other fragments of Tolkien's writings, but, significantly, NOT The Silmarillion.  (Basically the same rights Peter Jackson obtained for his LoTR and Hobbit films.)

To this point, (Episode 5), the series is dramatically mediocre, IMO.  However as a long-time, (but non-obsessive), Tolkien fan I have numerous objections to the "historicity" of series on account of its departure for Tolkien's timelines and character portrayals.

The series' story is set in the "2nd Age", three thousand years before the events of the Lord of the Rings proper.  The 2nd Age itself was over three thousand years in duration but the series telescopes this interval in important respects.  So for example, the Elf lord, Celebrimbor is portrayed as alive at the same time the Numinorien king, Tar-Palantir, though he was slain about 1500 years earlier according to the LoTR appendices.

The leading character, based the renown Elf lady-ruler, Galadriel, prominent in the LoTR, is an Amazon fabrication as far as 2nd Age events is concerned because Tolkien provides essentially no details of her activities in the 2nd Age.  (This sort of plot fabrication was permitted according to the terms of Amazon agreement with the Tolkien Trust.)  Beyond that, the Amazon characterization of Galadriel projects little of the gravitas of Tolkien's characterization -- for one thing, the actor (actress) Morfydd Clark is rather short whereas Tolkien's authentic Galadriel was very tall for female.

Hobbit progenitors, the Stoors, are major secondary characters in the RoP, but Tokien essentially makes no mention of Hobbits in the 2nd Age.

What I'm most waiting for is Amazon's treatment of the "Rings of Power" themselves, not mention up to Episode 5.  That includes the timeline:  The Rings were "historically" created more that 1500 years before the main events of the series.

OK, I could go, but enough boring talk about authenticity to Tolkien.  Perhaps it only matter to true Tolkien fans, but you get the message.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #2882 on: September 25, 2022, 06:13:52 AM »

My girlfriend and I enjoy this sometimes serious, often hilarious show.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #2883 on: September 25, 2022, 10:20:26 AM »
Well, I finished the 90's revival of Dark Shadows. Overall, I enjoyed it very well (I also watched the original series through the same storylines more or less in tandem.) It's a pity that external circs (more than anything in the show's production itself apparently) put the kybosh on't
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #2884 on: September 26, 2022, 05:50:01 AM »
Blimey, a weekend viewing off the scale. BBC 4 warned of scenes of a sexual nature in the German series KaDeWe set in 1920's Berlin. A warning not to be ignored! :o

From Berlin to Milwaukee. A Netflix series based on the true story of the serial killer Dahmer is scary dark. The lead is brilliantly played, too realistic for comfort.  >:D

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #2885 on: September 26, 2022, 01:35:12 PM »
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2886 on: September 26, 2022, 02:38:56 PM »

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #2887 on: September 26, 2022, 04:38:43 PM »
Arguably a niche interest for Rod Serling enthusiasts (and I may be one) I've started his Western series, The Loner, starring Lloyd Bridges.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline j winter

« Reply #2888 on: September 27, 2022, 09:06:13 AM »
Nothing but the most intellectually refined fare for my TV viewing, nosiree... :)

Serious nostalgia-fest here, since I haven't watched these since I was a kid... as cool as modern television is, with it's complex characterizations and plotlines running over multiple seasons, there's something to be said for the simplicity of good guy vs bad guy, wrap it up in a hour, back again next week... excellent way to de-stress after work for those of a certain generation in the US.  The early episodes at least have a very heavy James Bond influence, even including a few minor actors from Bond films as guest stars.  Great fun!
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #2889 on: September 27, 2022, 09:31:55 AM »
Nothing but the most intellectually refined fare for my TV viewing, nosiree... :)

Serious nostalgia-fest here, since I haven't watched these since I was a kid... as cool as modern television is, with it's complex characterizations and plotlines running over multiple seasons, there's something to be said for the simplicity of good guy vs bad guy, wrap it up in a hour, back again next week... excellent way to de-stress after work for those of a certain generation in the US.  The early episodes at least have a very heavy James Bond influence, even including a few minor actors from Bond films as guest stars.  Great fun!

My best friend in high school band played trombone, and his name was Steve Austin.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Online Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #2890 on: September 29, 2022, 11:57:21 PM »
To be transfixed, as I was last night, by the first episode of a series where nothing happens on the surface is some achievement by the writer (Stefan Golaszewski) of Marriage and the main cast members of Sean Bean and Nicola Walker. The scene in the cemetery contains some of the finest acting I have witnessed with the pair just sitting on a bench.
Story is the wrong word, so is action, but whatever, revolves around a couple married for thirty years or so, with the husband newly retired and his wife still in employment. The writing is very clever as sans signposts the viewer has to workout for themselves the past and driving force of  a coupling of two people over such a long period. At times unnerving as their life is too like ours for comfort.
Not for everyone but I found it unique as well as brilliant.       

Finally completed BBC's Marriage following a long hiatus after the first episode, really unsure of what to make of it at the time. We then ended up watching the last 2 1/2 episodes in one sitting last night. I guess we got drawn in after all  ;D

It is so radically different in its set up, like Lol mentioned above, that it indeed takes some getting used to. The cemetery scene is gut wrenching, the conference/hotel room scenes so incredibly tense. The dad/daughter letter scene heart-warming.

The one that really got to me though was seeing the daughter's reactions to (finally!) being treated nicely and feel her worth by the restaurant waiter. The range of emotions running through the actress' face and eyes in those scenes (particularly on the street corner) was so impressive.

The mirror held to us via the couple's everyday life was cringey, funny, uncomfortable (cue numerous thoughts like "shoot I do do that... haha my beloved does that... oh god we do that... it IS like that with our parents" etc etc).

The last scene is beautiful in its utter anti-climatic simplicity. It is ultimately what it is all about and where the worth and the strength of it all lies.

(NB: No idea if a second series is commissioned? Not actually sure it needs one. It is perfect as it is)
(NB: Sean Bean doesn't die...it's a change!  :laugh:)
Olivier