Kindle vs Nook vs.....?

Started by drogulus, May 26, 2010, 02:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k a rl h e nn i ng

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 30, 2022, 08:07:11 AM
I'm aware of technicians who will try to fix an iPhone, etc, outside the ecosystem of Apple stores. Perhaps a little googling will turn up someone in your area who works on other gadgets.

Thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

j winter

I currently have a Kobo Libra 2 and love it to death, just a simple, well designed piece of tech.  Kobo's ebook store can't match Amazon's, but I like the fact that it can read lots of different formats, can hold 32 gb of ebooks (for reference I have over 2,500 epub books, and the thing is barely a third full), works smoothly with my local library, and ergonomically it's very comfortable to use, fits right in your hand.  I greatly prefer it to reading on a tablet or phone -- I don't like the glare from reading from a shiny glass surface, I deal with enough of that looking at my laptop for work.  I've used Kobos for about 10 years, before that I had a few Nooks but gave up on them as Barnes & Noble's tech just couldn't keep up.

I still prefer a paper book if I'm reading something with maps or illustrations, if I'll need to consult footnotes or endnotes, or if it's an old favorite.  But for most books, especially fiction, it works just fine, saves shelf space, and is the ideal option for carrying around thousands of reading options on vacation, or even on a lunch break. 
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 30, 2022, 05:19:36 AM
Almost certainly not worth it (the warranty's long expired) the power button seems to have recessed into the case. Nothing for it but to get a fresh device, meseems.

The Glowlight 4 is great, I highly recommend it.  If your old one was the Nook Simple Touch the huge jump in resolution and having that warm frontlight really makes a difference.

k a rl h e nn i ng

Quote from: DavidW on September 30, 2022, 03:33:53 PM
The Glowlight 4 is great, I highly recommend it.  If your old one was the Nook Simple Touch the huge jump in resolution and having that warm frontlight really makes a difference.

I think I'll go ahead with that.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot