Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Wanderer on February 18, 2023, 10:28:03 PMI'm about to celebrate en terrace with a specialty flat white, gazing at the Acropolis from beautiful Theseion

Excellent, Tasos!

Your message box is full.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Brahmsian

Quote from: Florestan on February 19, 2023, 08:39:10 AMYour message box is full.

Yours is too Andrei. I tried to send you a message earlier today.

Florestan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 19, 2023, 08:39:59 AMYours is too Andrei. I tried to send you a message earlier today.

Hah!  :D

Fixed.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Wanderer

Quote from: Florestan on February 19, 2023, 08:39:10 AMExcellent, Tasos!

Your message box is full.

Matter attended to. 🛠

Karl Henning

Bob Grossman's artwork for the Firesign Theatre's third album, Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers(1970), which the US Library of Congress added to the National Recording Registry in 2005.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Changed my display name back to JBS.

The avatar is from Arthur Zyck's illustration of the Book of Esther (the Megillah) which tells the story of Purim (next Monday night/Tuesday). He did two versions, one in the late 1920s and another after WW2. I think this is from the second version but I'm not sure. Portrayed are Queen Esther with Mordecai behind her, and in the distant background a gallows with (presumably) Haman hanging from it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

A Boston theme
[For those who don't know, I've lived in Florida since I was ten but was born in Boston]

Florestan

I decided it's time for a reset.

While not in the least abjuring my Rossinian allegiance, I chose a more neutral avatar: Anemona Flowers by the Romanian painter Ștefan Luchian ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C8%98tefan_Luchian )

I also changed my signature line to a famous pronouncement with which I am in perfect agreement.

The thought has crossed my mind, that I should also change my username, because its double connotation does not anymore reflect my current, and quite possibly definitive, musical aesthetics. But that move would create great confusion so I decided not to take it. After all, I quite relish the contradiction between my username and the aesthetics implicit in my avatar and signature line.  :D

Florestan

I decided it was time for resetting the reset.  ;D

Wanderer

Terrible haircut. Bring back the flowers!  😲😁

Florestan

Quote from: Wanderer on July 01, 2023, 01:38:38 PMTerrible haircut. Bring back the flowers!  😲😁

Ummm... okay.  :D

Wanderer

Quote from: Florestan on July 02, 2023, 08:23:18 AMUmmm... okay.  :D

Yay! Not to mention that they, should you wish such an interpretation, can also etymologically act as a way to deflect the Schumann connotations from your forum name (whenever you find them redundant, as expressed above).  ;)

Florestan

Quote from: Wanderer on July 02, 2023, 09:20:56 AMYay! Not to mention that they, should you wish such an interpretation, can also etymologically act as a way to deflect the Schumann connotations from your forum name (whenever you find them redundant, as expressed above).  ;)

My very first avatar was Van Gogh's Flowers in a Blue Vase and I chose it exactly because of the Flores in Florestan.  ;)

Wanderer

Great minds and all that jazz.  ;)

JBS

Posted by Angela Hewitt on her Twitter account: a photo of her hands as she was playing.

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

JBS

Courtesy of a post by @Traverso
Gerard van Honthorst
The Merry Fiddler

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on December 15, 2023, 01:42:41 PMCourtesy of a post by @Traverso
Gerard van Honthorst
The Merry Fiddler

Great one. You've already had it before, iirc.

prémont

A random passerby in Nimes (FR) points to Emperor Augustus, who stands in his high Elysium in Lonely Majesty and points to Gaul, which he intends to conquer.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.