The AFL / Aussie Rules Thread

Started by Papy Oli, April 01, 2021, 02:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

ouch, the spirit of Harald Schumacher is alive and well...  ???

It's turning ugly...
Olivier

Papy Oli

Mason Cox v Max Gawn

getting tasty...
Olivier

Madiel

I'm watching rather delayed. But I've seen the early incident.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Holden

The 'Pies are through to the next phase but it wasn't easy against a team that finished three places below them. That said, the Dees get another crack later.
Cheers

Holden

Papy Oli

Q1 of Pies V Dees is probably the ugliest quarter of footy I have seen in my short watching life.  :o

The Swans nearly pulled off a miracle recovery yesterday but I think seeing Carlton go through and as well as GWS (comprehensively) today is quite logical on their late form. With a tasty Lions v Port shortly, that really makes for exciting September Finals.
Olivier

Holden

I thought that Saints would beat the Giants but it was obvious by the end of the first quarter that there superior midfield play would be the difference and so it proved to be. The way the Lions disposed of Port has me backing them for the flag this year. I feel that Collingwood peaked a little bit early and this is now coming back to bite them.
Cheers

Holden

Madiel

Having been out earlier in the night, I just finished watching Melbourne v Carlton.

Heck of a game, in front of 96,000 people.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Holden

26 scoring kicks to 18 and you still lose. Just goes to show how important those 6 pointers are.
Cheers

Holden

Papy Oli

I watched bits and bobs of the game yesterday...and left it when the Dees were 69-60 up, should have known better  :-[

Watched the last few minutes, what a deafening noise it was.... :o
Olivier

Madiel

News today that Ron Barassi has died, age 87.

One of the greatest players of all time.

Papy Oli

Out of curiosity, I had a look at Carlton's wiki page for their Honours.

They finished with the wooden spoon only 5 years ago. In the 2018 table, Brisbane and Saint Kilda were in the bottom four (And the Suns but we won't mention it  :P ). West Coast Eagles finished second and ended up Premiers. Hawthorn finished fourth. That was only 5 years ago...

It'd be really interesting to find a graph where you can pick each teams' evolution over the years, to have an idea of length of such good/bad cycles (because of draft or otherwise).
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on September 15, 2023, 11:52:12 PMNews today that Ron Barassi has died, age 87.

One of the greatest players of all time.

And a Melbourne player as well. That will add to the sadness of that club this weekend.

Weirdly, his face looked familiar. Reading an article briefly, it must have been from the Dees' celebrations with their recent premiership. he had won their last previous title 57 years prior!!
Olivier

Papy Oli

That's not going to help the prejudice that Australia has a very frightening fauna  :P

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1702890840731815979
Olivier

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 15, 2023, 11:59:28 PMOut of curiosity, I had a look at Carlton's wiki page for their Honours.

They finished with the wooden spoon only 5 years ago. In the 2018 table, Brisbane and Saint Kilda were in the bottom four (And the Suns but we won't mention it  :P ). West Coast Eagles finished second and ended up Premiers. Hawthorn finished fourth. That was only 5 years ago...

It'd be really interesting to find a graph where you can pick each teams' evolution over the years, to have an idea of length of such good/bad cycles (because of draft or otherwise).

Yes, it's rather hard to be near the top for long periods, partly thanks to the draft system. Which is why the long run of Geelong, for example, in regularly being in finals is so impressive. I vaguely remember some statistic about Sydney making finals as well.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on September 16, 2023, 12:52:42 AMYes, it's rather hard to be near the top for long periods, partly thanks to the draft system. Which is why the long run of Geelong, for example, in regularly being in finals is so impressive. I vaguely remember some statistic about Sydney making finals as well.

Going from Premiers to 13th us is a ruthless way to find out about such cycles, I tell you  :P
Olivier

Papy Oli

3 take-home points from reading Barassi's wiki entry:

- Ok, Legend makes sense  :o

- learning he actually is the origin point of the Father/Son rule, after Melbourne promised to take care of him and his mum, following his father's passing in WW2.

- I am on the right side of the Barassi line  :laugh:
Olivier

Madiel

Technically I'm on the wrong side of the Barassi Line, but Canberra is pretty close to being on that boundary.

Papy Oli

About yesterday's game:

well, that was close !!  :o  Collingwood obviously deserves it for their season but credit to GWS for their end of season run to take them that far.

How about tonight's game: Carlton 31-8 up after Q1!! The Lions are picking the wrong game to let the Gabba be less of a fortress... We'll see how it pans out. Maybe Carlton will pull off what GWS just fell short to do.
Olivier

Papy Oli

HT...Lions by 3.

Carlton fans are a bit quieter...
Olivier

Madiel

The Collingwood vs GWS game was quite amazing.

The most amazing thing about the Brisbane v Carlton game was how sedate it was by the very end.