The AFL / Aussie Rules Thread

Started by Papy Oli, April 01, 2021, 02:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Fun fact regarding the radio broadcast: When I, so far, have only registered the Geelong names of Miers, Hawkins, Selwood and Tuohy, that leaves around 32 names on the pitch for whom I have absolutely no idea which side actually has the footy at that time  :laugh:
Olivier

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Oh well, got to start somewhere  ;D

I have started to register just a handful of other players' faces in other teams along the way (Dustin Martin since the final last year, now Josh Bruce, Jack Riewoldt, Tom Lynch, Eddie Betts, Lance Franklin come to mind) but not many more yet  :-[
Olivier

Madiel

Oh look, it's not as if I know every player. And you might know more players than anyone else in a radius of 100 miles.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

It was my turn last night to set questions for our weekly online zoom quiz. I threw in an AFL question (just because I could  :laugh: ), asking how many points were scored for a goal in Aussie Rules. I saw some very perplexed looks in some of the webcam screens  >:D That was my revenge for getting flipping Harry Potter questions thrown at us every other week 0:)

In other news, I sat through the Geelong v North Melbourne replay yesterday. Man, that was an absolute grind  :-X

When I then moved on to Q1 of Swans v Giants, It was a shock to see some proper footy and realise how poor Geelong was at the moment  ;D

Olivier

Madiel

He's already at the point where he makes comments about whether his team plays "proper footy"...

:laugh:

Papy Oli

All from the comfort of my sofa... Just a bunch of slow moving barges... And they couldn't even manage an accurate daisy cutter to save their lives  :laugh:  :P
Olivier

Papy Oli

New expression learnt this morning while glancing at Giants v Bulldogs : "how did he miss that... It's a soda" when a GWS player missed a sitter of a goal.

Looking forward to Melbourne v Richmond in the morning now  8)
Olivier

Madiel

I have never ever heard of a soda. I have however heard of a thick accent.

As well as a Canberra game occurring on the coldest night of the year thus far, enabling the commentators to complain about the weather as they always ALWAYS do.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on April 23, 2021, 03:20:25 PM
I have never ever heard of a soda. I have however heard of a thick accent.

>:D

Definitely the right expression, had to google yesterday just to make sure of what I had heard !

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/a-soda

Quote from: Madiel on April 23, 2021, 03:20:25 PM
As well as a Canberra game occurring on the coldest night of the year thus far, enabling the commentators to complain about the weather as they always ALWAYS do.

Oh yes ! if i had been given a dollar every time they said it was one degree, going to minus one degree towards the end of the game, i could have retired  :laugh:

PS: Nice to wake up to such a winning result by Geelong !! Definitely one to catch up tomorrow  8)
Olivier

Madiel

Australians will readily complain about how cold Canberra is, but if Europeans or North Americans ask for specifics...

When winter comes, I'll regularly face maximum daily temperatures of 12 or 13 degrees C. And -4 at night!

Papy Oli

Pleasant winter that  ;D

Simple and touching Anzac ceremony before the Melbourne Richmond game by the way.
Olivier

Madiel

The crowd at the MCG just sounded insanely loud, after a long time of not really hearing that.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on April 24, 2021, 04:59:51 AM
The crowd at the MCG just sounded insanely loud, after a long time of not really hearing that.

It is great to see such a crowd again, especially when the UK is only just doing some crowd trials of 1-4,000 in stadiums since Sunday only. Some long way to go here yet.

Also a bit unnerving to imagine oneself in the middle of such a crowd again. 
Olivier

Holden

My team, the Gold Coast Suns had a very good win against the Swans at home.
Cheers

Holden

Papy Oli

Quote from: Holden on April 24, 2021, 01:53:38 PM
My team, the Gold Coast Suns had a very good win against the Swans at home.

Welcome to the AFL thread and thank you for beating the Swans  ;D 8)

Caught up with the Cats v Eagles game yesterday, sketchy to start with but then the Cats were rampant with 10 unanswered goals in a row in Q2. Nice one !
It seems that Jeremy Cameron is quite a good addition  ;D 
Olivier

Papy Oli

Great display by Richmond in the game just now against the Western Bulldogs.

Really looking forward to Swans v Cats, I have it broadcast on TV tomorrow morning  8)
Olivier

Madiel

The tipping for this round is fiendishly hard.

Apart from Melbourne v North Melbourne, where the quoted odds are $1.01 versus $17.00.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on April 30, 2021, 04:37:25 AM
The tipping for this round is fiendishly hard.

Apart from Melbourne v North Melbourne, where the quoted odds are $1.01 versus $17.00.

I can imagine. I was looking at the ladder a moment ago, quite a few games with teams right next to one another.
Olivier

Papy Oli

One element that still takes some adjusting (both ways): sometimes a 30-point lead means nothing...

Like now  >:(
Olivier