The AFL / Aussie Rules Thread

Started by Papy Oli, April 01, 2021, 02:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 01, 2021, 02:42:43 AM
One element that still takes some adjusting (both ways): sometimes a 30-point lead means nothing...

Like now  >:(

And this is precisely why I love AFL (and what makes it different from a lot of sports). A shift in momentum can have a huge impact on the scoreline. In a really good game you can see the momentum shifts, and the key thing is whether a team can convert its momentum into points.

No-one is doing very well in the office tipping competition this weekend, so far.  I'm on 1 out of 4. The leader is on 2.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on May 01, 2021, 02:45:06 AM
And this is precisely why I love AFL (and what makes it different from a lot of sports). A shift in momentum can have a huge impact on the scoreline. In a really good game you can see the momentum shifts, and the key thing is whether a team can convert its momentum into points.

I see that point now. Nicely poised game now and some good phases so far on both sides. Quite a nice Saturday morning  8)

Quote from: Madiel on May 01, 2021, 02:45:06 AM
No-one is doing very well in the office tipping competition this weekend, so far.  I'm on 1 out of 4. The leader is on 2.

Did you tip Geelong or Sydney ?  $:)  :laugh:
Olivier

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 01, 2021, 02:54:28 AM
Did you tip Geelong or Sydney ?  $:)  :laugh:

I tipped Sydney, given it was in Sydney... I also tipped Port Adelaide against Brisbane and Brisbane is currently winning handsomely.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on May 01, 2021, 02:59:25 AM
I tipped Sydney, given it was in Sydney... I also tipped Port Adelaide against Brisbane and Brisbane is currently winning handsomely.

I am NOT going to say "1 out 6 then" because that will come back and bite me in an hour's time  :laugh:
Olivier

Papy Oli

oh well, it's biting me anyway  :laugh:
Olivier

Holden

Cheers

Holden

Papy Oli

Quote from: Holden on May 01, 2021, 03:17:48 AM
Gold Coast had another win.

Everybody beats Collingwood though  :P

(I am teasing, I know nothing, I just looked at the ladder  ;D Congrats on the win  8) )
Olivier

Madiel

Gold Coast is winning more than expected, Collingwood is losing more than expected.

Meanwhile, back in Sydney...

... that WAS tense.  :laugh:

Papy Oli

oh well....great game to watch still...  :(

Richmond next  :blank:
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on May 01, 2021, 04:11:29 AM
Gold Coast is winning more than expected, Collingwood is losing more than expected.

Meanwhile, back in Sydney...

... that WAS tense.  :laugh:

edge of seat stuff...why wasn't it a mark by Cameron right at the end by the way ? No a proper kick or out of bounds ?

I think I am properly converted now   8)
Olivier

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 01, 2021, 04:14:27 AM
edge of seat stuff...why wasn't it a mark by Cameron right at the end by the way ? No a proper kick or out of bounds ?

The umpire said the kick wasn't 15 metres (which is the minimum distance). The commentators seem to think it was.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on May 01, 2021, 04:22:14 AM
The umpire said the kick wasn't 15 metres (which is the minimum distance). The commentators seem to think it was.

OK, must have missed that while I was swearing/shouting at the TV  0:)
Olivier

Papy Oli

They are all there, in all their glory   8)

Olivier

Madiel

Oh dear. Give me short hair any day.

Papy Oli

Quite.

I'd take a good pair of clippers to them with a No.1 or No.2 on...if I could catch them, that is  :laugh:

That will teach me to follow the AFL tweeter account  ???
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 01, 2021, 02:42:43 AM
One element that still takes some adjusting (both ways): sometimes a 30-point lead means nothing...

I am just quoting myself to convince myself of this when we'll be in that position after Q1....  >:(  :laugh:

(great footy from Richmond though  :-X )
Olivier

Madiel

*checks the scoreboard*

See, now I wonder what you were complaining about.  ;)

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on May 07, 2021, 02:52:38 AM
*checks the scoreboard*

See, now I wonder what you were complaining about.  ;)

the fast counter-attacking of Richmond... that's what  :laugh:

Olivier

Papy Oli

Geelong is definitely improving compared to the first games though, that's good.

Oh Cameron yeeees !!! you beauty...

god I need that half time...
Olivier

Madiel

A minute ago, after the most recent goal, I thought "oh boy, Olivier is really going to be hooked on this sport now".  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: