The AFL / Aussie Rules Thread

Started by Papy Oli, April 01, 2021, 02:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on August 14, 2021, 03:49:08 AM
Port Adelaide has failed to beat any of the other contenders. It beats all the lower teams, but in the big matches it falls over.

My tipping last week was completely chaotic. This week is looking marginally better, but it would really help if someone could explain what happened to the Western Bulldogs lately.

Bad timing to have a slump...and they have lost Josh Bruce as well.

Just 1 behind in Q4 today, it's incredible.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on August 14, 2021, 03:49:08 AM
it would really help if someone could explain what happened to the Western Bulldogs lately.

I guess you could say that again today !! What the hell... What a timing for PA to beat a top 4 team...

So if I have got this right, we are guaranteed a second chance game in any case. If we lose tomorrow against Melbourne, we stay third we play at Port Adelaide in the 2nd Qualifying final. If we win, we finish top and we play at home against either Bulldogs or Lions in the 1st Qualifying Final. If we draw, we play Melbourne again in the 2nd Qualifying Final. Does that sound right ? I assume the Swans need to big a difference swing to reach 4th, with needing Brisbane to lose as well. Not even sure which option is good or bad anymore, just happy to be there  ;D

ps: I am here for absolutely anybody tomorrow between 10am and 1pm  8)

pps: If, by sheer accident, luck or simply talented timing, Geelong finishes top tomorrow, please send my best regards to your sister  :laugh:  >:D

ppps: I love this sport  :)
Olivier

Madiel

Yes, you're right that Geelong is guaranteed a top 4 spot. You already were. The question is whether they can get a home ground advantage for the finals (subject of course to all the wild things happening with Covid, though really it's only Sydney that is in truly uncharted territory).

As for tonight... I tipped Port Adelaide to win, with a margin of 5 points. I was absolutely on tenterhooks towards the end, and I was panicking in the last 10 seconds!!

I haven't watched many games this year truth be told, but when I saw the draw for this week I knew I'd be watching the top 4 four teams playing each other. It's kind of amazing that's how the year has panned out. Melbourne didn't even make the finals last year.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on August 20, 2021, 05:27:03 AM
As for tonight... I tipped Port Adelaide to win, with a margin of 5 points. I was absolutely on tenterhooks towards the end, and I was panicking in the last 10 seconds!!

I can imagine the relief seeing that last kick being handed behind !

Great tipping shout.
Olivier

Madiel

And yet... I've just found out I wasn't closest on the margin!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on August 20, 2021, 06:49:39 AM
And yet... I've just found out I wasn't closest on the margin!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

oh this changes everything...

I'll downgrade you from Great Tipping Shout to Good Effort then   :laugh:
Olivier

Madiel

It looks like Geelong v Melbourne isn't on TV here. Subscription only.

Bugger that. Unless streaming from the AFL website is a possibility.

Holden

Quote from: Madiel on August 20, 2021, 03:34:37 PM
It looks like Geelong v Melbourne isn't on TV here. Subscription only.

Bugger that. Unless streaming from the AFL website is a possibility.

I think you can do it via the AFL app.
Cheers

Holden

Madiel

Quote from: Holden on August 20, 2021, 10:35:44 PM
I think you can do it via the AFL app.

Looks like it's the same as the website - radio access, not video. The website has plenty of little clips judging by the Brisbane/West Coast match, but not full broadcast. For the matches not on the 7 network, it's all about watching on Kayo. I hated Kayo when I tried it and I'm not signing up again for one match.

The biggest problem is that, if you're in NSW/ACT, the deal is they show you matches involving Sydney or GWS every week no matter what. So guess what? Instead of 1st vs 2nd I can watch GWS play Carlton. Yay.  :-X

Papy Oli

Looks like the AFL website scrapped the live pass options at the start of this season.

On the website now, you only get highlights videos of 5-7 minutes on the day of the game itself. Then, at some point on the next day, they then upload the four full quarters of each game under Matches > Match videos > Match replays. This is how I have caught up whatever game that wasn't on BT sport over here.

A search for Aussie rules free streaming might give you alternatives  0:)
Olivier

Madiel

Oh well.  By tomorrow I'll be watching premier league highlights instead...

Papy Oli

Brisbane pipped the Bulldogs to fourth spot then...

The % difference between them is only made up by 7 points more or so scored over the season  :o
Olivier

Papy Oli

8 unanswered goals in Q2...

I won't get carried away... nope...
Olivier

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 21, 2021, 02:42:50 AM
8 unanswered goals in Q2...

I won't get carried away... nope...

Oh go on, get carried away.

I love how quickly you've learned the way that leads can evaporate, but now I feel like you think they evaporate in every game.  :laugh:

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on August 21, 2021, 02:59:36 AM
Oh go on, get carried away.

I love how quickly you've learned the way that leads can evaporate, but now I feel like you think they evaporate in every game.  :laugh:

oh I am buzzing right now but you are actually right on your last point  ;D

I still find it "difficult" to work out when Geelong is actually in control (more or less) of a game, even with a +20 or a +30. A couple of missed kicks or marks and the game can turn on its head quickly. On average, it's what, one goal every minute and a half or two minutes in a game ? So, I only relax when there is only 5-6 minutes to go  :laugh:   
Olivier

Papy Oli

6 in a row for Melbourne...

case in point...  :laugh:
Olivier

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 21, 2021, 03:48:25 AM
6 in a row for Melbourne...

case in point...  :laugh:

Oh goodness. Just looked at the score (after finishing Dvorak's 1st symphony). Very tight.

Papy Oli

oh my days....

Geelong just crumbled...
Olivier

Madiel

Oh. My. God.

I was listening to the radio feed for the last few minutes.

The entire season coming down to a kick after the siren. Incredible.

Sorry, Olivier, but that's just amazing even though it didn't go your way.

Papy Oli

There's no room for complaint really. We saw Rohan score one after the siren some weeks ago in a reverse situation. One has to accept it can go the other way sometime.

Also I would have bitten your hand off for that third spot a few months ago to be fair.

My new motto: 44 points means nothing  :laugh:

I'll console myself by thinking that it might be slightly better to face Port A instead of the Lions, but it'll be a tough one to bounce back mentally from today. Maybe the second chance will come in handy. 

What a sport, mate. What a sport.

Olivier