The AFL / Aussie Rules Thread

Started by Papy Oli, April 01, 2021, 02:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

My Melbourne-supporting friend/colleague claims that's the first time Melbourne have won with a kick after the siren in 124 years, ie since the start of the competition.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on August 21, 2021, 04:31:14 AM
My Melbourne-supporting friend/colleague claims that's the first time Melbourne have won with a kick after the siren in 124 years, ie since the start of the competition.

Ok we'll let him/her have that one  ;)

It's not as if they have won the flag anyway >:D  :P
Olivier

Papy Oli

and so starts the business end today...  8)

Not going to lie...

i'm a bit nervous  ???
Olivier

Papy Oli

29 pts down means nothing...

until it does  :blank:
Olivier

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

We are being outplayed, outclassed, outpaced, annihilated (to put it mildly).
Olivier

Madiel

Well, Brisbane v Western Bulldogs was completely gripping.

Papy Oli

Sitting on a beach in Brittany France has had me side-tracked AFL-wise  0:) with no access to BT sport, I nearly missed following the Cats timeline yesterday. Proper service will resume next weekend for the preliminary finals  8)

Might stream this weekends games later if it rains  :laugh:
Olivier

Papy Oli

Minus 80 pts means nothing something...

it means that the season is over in my biased format  ;D

There was no contest really.

Now I can enjoy the 2 remaining games in a neutral way.

Very happy of my maiden AFL viewing season in any case  :)
Olivier

Madiel

Immediately the debates have started about whether the Geelong team are too old, why do they keep getting this far yet no further, etc.

Meanwhile they're not the only team that Melbourne has overpowered. But it was pretty comprehensive. And heck, Melbourne haven't actually won a premiership in my lifetime.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on September 10, 2021, 02:39:09 PM
Immediately the debates have started about whether the Geelong team are too old, why do they keep getting this far yet no further, etc.

Meanwhile they're not the only team that Melbourne has overpowered. But it was pretty comprehensive.

I understood over the season that Geelong's style was slower paced anyway and based on gradually building the phases but we too often got outplayed by full speed passing and not just yesterday.

QuoteAnd heck, Melbourne haven't actually won a premiership in my lifetime.

Well that's long.  :P

Looks like the Bulldogs are back all guns blazing (based on the 1st half). That should be a cracker of a final. Is it next week or in a fortnight ?
Olivier

Madiel

A fortnight, it's scheduled for the 25th.

EDIT: And it looks like it's going to be the match-up a lot of neutrals wanted... only it'll be in Perth!

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on September 11, 2021, 03:44:31 AM
A fortnight, it's scheduled for the 25th.

EDIT: And it looks like it's going to be the match-up a lot of neutrals wanted... only it'll be in Perth!

ok thank you.

That's one I'll get up for, whatever time it will be up here  :)
Olivier

Papy Oli

1 minute to the siren  8)

Enjoy the final, guys !
Olivier

Madiel

It was kind of amazing. You know all about momentum swings in AFL. That was a big one!

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on September 25, 2021, 05:10:11 AM
It was kind of amazing. You know all about momentum swings in AFL. That was a big one!

Quite !

An awesome game to wrap up the season, with a very worthy winner indeed.

I have had a cracking maiden season as a "supporter", I think I just might be back in March  ;)
Olivier

Papy Oli

How many sleeps left to go now !??!

Do they need that much rest ??!!

It's getting a bit of a long wait now  :blank:

;D
Olivier

Madiel

Oh shush. It's Premier League season.  :laugh:

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on November 08, 2021, 02:08:02 AM
Oh shush. It's Premier League season.  :laugh:

It's boring though...

(Come on you Gunners!  0:) )
Olivier

Papy Oli

19th March *sigh*  :(

Tangentially, I am finding that watching men in whites, down under, hitting a pink ball around with a stick is not, of late, the entirely satisfying alternative it should be or I was hoping it would be  :blank:  :P   
Olivier