The AFL / Aussie Rules Thread

Started by Papy Oli, April 01, 2021, 02:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

it was a tough one to call, to be fair. I wasn't expecting the Cats to restrain them in that way for the whole game.

I was really impressed by the composure they showed to get the ball out, very cleanly via handballs. 
Olivier

Papy Oli

...and this week it was utter rubbish  >:( Apologies to the tippers  :-[

"Good" job I couldn't sleep otherwise I would have been miffed to wake up at 6.20 on Easter Monday for this rubbish.

Back to a St John's passion...  0:)
Olivier

Madiel

I had several games in the tipping where I paused and thought... and got all of them wrong.

Happily, most other people in the tipping competition got most of the same ones wrong, but someone managed 9 out of 9!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Not watched any games this weekend, only got a glimpse of Geelong's highlights at North Melbourne. Anything to report ?

Is it me or does the top 5 seem to be really running early with it compared to last year, with St Kilda the surprise package this year?

Richmond, Western Bulldogs (and Port Adelaide) have really lost their regularity of last year. is it all down to Dustin Martin and Josh Bruce that have been missed?
Olivier

Madiel

I wasn't paying a huge amount of attention for various reasons.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

A comfy win against GWS, hanging on just about on the right side of the ladder.

Stengle turns out to be a very valuable signing. Quite a few new faces coming through as well.

St Kilda next week, should be interesting.

Thank you Holden for beating the Swans earlier  ;D
Olivier

Madiel

The GWS game was in Canberra of course.

There was a point in time where GWS would win all their Canberra games. Now the opposite is happening.

Papy Oli

Olivier

Papy Oli

Q1 14-27 at St Kilda.

Fast quarter, going to be a tight game, this!!
Olivier

Papy Oli

54-57...

Chris Scott is not amused, not that he looks that different when he is...  ;D
Olivier

Papy Oli

66-57

Chris Scott is upgraded to "miffed"....
Olivier

Papy Oli

Olivier

Madiel

LOL at that last one.

I had no opportunity to watch at all today. But I had decided to tip St Kilda and the new leader of the office competition had decided to tip Geelong, so big game for me.

Papy Oli

Thoughts of the day:

- Waking up to a Geelong victory is always a nice way to start a weekend (particularly when my French football club will be relegated to their 2nd division tonight)

- That ladder from 5th onwards starts to look very tasty.  ???

- Some of those special shirts with the Aboriginal decorations are flipping gorgeous!  :)

- I must try to go and vote at my next local election in a budgy smuggler, like they've just done in Bondi, see how that goes  8)
Olivier

Madiel

I've got zero clue what's been going on in AFL today. We've been busy changing government.

EDIT: Okay, I'm 6 from 6 for the round, but to be honest that wasn't especially difficult in a lot of games.

Holden

I'm also 6 for 6 and am hoping that the Giants, Lions and Dockers win this afternoon. I need the double points but I suspect that other have the same picks as me.

Cheers

Holden

Papy Oli

Another Cats' win to wake up to, that'll do!  8)

On the other hand, that Freo timeline right now!!  ??? Anyone tipped them?

Also lots of seagulls flying about inside the stadium. If the ball hits a seagull on the way to the goal, is it a behind ? just asking :blank:

More serious question please: what was the kerfuffle about right at the end of the Richmond game last night ? A Sydney player kicked the ball on purpose into the terraces, right on the siren and and it apparently should have been a 50m penalty for Richmond (and a clear possibility for them to level the score at the death). Why didn't the referee award that 50m penalty and only a free-kick from where the Sydney player kicked it out ? Was it deemed to be after the siren ?
Olivier

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 28, 2022, 01:13:14 AM
More serious question please: what was the kerfuffle about right at the end of the Richmond game last night ? A Sydney player kicked the ball on purpose into the terraces, right on the siren and and it apparently should have been a 50m penalty for Richmond (and a clear possibility for them to level the score at the death). Why didn't the referee award that 50m penalty and only a free-kick from where the Sydney player kicked it out ? Was it deemed to be after the siren ?

If a free kick has been awarded, you're required to hand the ball over directly to the person awarded a free kick. If not, there's a 50 metre penalty.

However, the referee ruled that the player didn't know that a free kick had been awarded, because it happened right at the same time as the siren going and the crowd cheering wildly. So therefore he wasn't penalised for non-compliance with handing the ball over.

EDIT: As for Fremantle, everyone knew they were good this year, but I don't think anyone believed they were THAT good. Quite the turnaround in kicking accuracy as well. First half, Melbourne scored 6.8 and Fremantles scored 2.7.  Second half, Melbourne scored 1.6 and Fremantle 12.3!

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on May 28, 2022, 02:08:56 AM
If a free kick has been awarded, you're required to hand the ball over directly to the person awarded a free kick. If not, there's a 50 metre penalty.

However, the referee ruled that the player didn't know that a free kick had been awarded, because it happened right at the same time as the siren going and the crowd cheering wildly. So therefore he wasn't penalised for non-compliance with handing the ball over.

EDIT: As for Fremantle, everyone knew they were good this year, but I don't think anyone believed they were THAT good. Quite the turnaround in kicking accuracy as well. First half, Melbourne scored 6.8 and Fremantles scored 2.7.  Second half, Melbourne scored 1.6 and Fremantle 12.3!

Thank you for the explanation, appreciate it.

That Fremantle spell was unreal. I think it was something like 37+ minutes without a Melbourne goal.

On a tangent, having NAA instead of MEL in the scoring banner threw me as well. I ended up googling Naarm and reading about Sir Doug Nicholls as well. That sport is entertaining AND educational !  ;D

Olivier

Papy Oli

G'day !!

(while we're 40 pts up that is!  8))

Olivier