The AFL / Aussie Rules Thread

Started by Papy Oli, April 01, 2021, 02:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on June 03, 2022, 02:58:52 AM
Oh good because I tipped you.

it got much closer, as expected, but Cats holding out for a key win. Nice one!
Olivier

Madiel

Even nicer because we have to pick the margin on the first game each week, and  I said 15.

Edit: but someone else said 13 so I will lose to her in a tiebreaker, but not anyone else.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Holden

Because I couldn't decide I followed my usual habit of picking the home team so the bulldogs got the nod.

Yes, I've picked Freo!
Cheers

Holden

Papy Oli

The guy who invented byes has a lot to answer for...  >:(

Olivier

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 11, 2022, 01:30:38 AM
The guy who invented byes has a lot to answer for...  >:(

Would you rather your team was all exhausted and injured?

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on June 11, 2022, 06:18:01 AM
Would you rather your team was all exhausted and injured?

Of course not. I should have infused my post with more irony  ;)
Not having any AFL game is like waiting for an international break to be over and done with! 

Quite a turn in results for Melbourne, isn't it...and with the Lions to play next!
Olivier

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 15, 2022, 04:54:00 AM
Of course not. I should have infused my post with more irony  ;)
Not having any AFL game is like waiting for an international break to be over and done with! 

Quite a turn in results for Melbourne, isn't it...and with the Lions to play next!

Yes. In hindsight Melbourne might have had a relatively easy draw in the first part of the season, but it's been pretty startling to see them lose 3 in a row. Reminds me of Liverpool in the premier league season before last...

And yes, I did a little gasp when I saw that Melbourne's next opponent is Brisbane.

Papy Oli

Another win under our belt yesterday at the Eagles, albeit much scrappier than it could have been.

Hawkins going past the 700 mark is another achievement. I have often heard he is one of the most unselfish kickers (they mentioned it again last night, I noticed it in past games too), always looking for better positioned team-mates. It'd be interesting to look at the number of his goal assists so to speak, how much higher he could be in the scoring ranks.

With us talking of byes, they gave a frightening stat in the game build-up. Geelong (and the Eagles) are two of the worst-performing teams after a bye. Before yesterday's game, Geelong had only won 3 out of the last 17 post-bye games. I rest my case about byes  :laugh:  :P

The features for this coming weekend are beyond tasty :

1st v 2nd (Lions / Dees)
3rd v 5th (Freo / Carlton)
4th v 6th (Cats / Tigers)
7th v 8th (Swans / Saints)

:o

Olivier

Papy Oli

Also had a proper jolt when I watched Weightman dislocating his elbow during the Bulldogs game!! 

The Aussie broadcaster certainly didn't shy away from showing it...and again... then Weightman carried on as if nothing had happened a few minutes later  ???
Olivier

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 19, 2022, 01:38:50 AM

1st v 2nd (Lions / Dees)

Oh goodness I might have to commit to watching whichever ones are broadcast here. Sydney will be, but then they always insist on giving us GWS as well...

EDIT: Melbourne v Brisbane is broadcast so that's good. But not the other top 6 matches.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on June 19, 2022, 01:57:56 AM
Oh goodness I might have to commit to watching whichever ones are broadcast here. Sydney will be, but then they always insist on giving us GWS as well...

EDIT: Melbourne v Brisbane is broadcast so that's good. But not the other top 6 matches.

BT Sport follows whatever Channel 7 (I think) does (Melbourne Thursday & Swans on Sunday both a 10 am build-up. I am not getting up at 4.30am for Freo  :blank:)

I'll have to settle for Geelong on catch up on the AFL website the day after the game.

Good luck to you and Holden for the pool/tipping. Rather you both than me !!  :laugh:
Olivier

Madiel

Channel 7 does different things in different parts of the country. It believes we want to see the "local" teams (in my case, the 2 in Sydney).

Holden

Quote from: Madiel on June 19, 2022, 04:33:56 AM
Channel 7 does different things in different parts of the country. It believes we want to see the "local" teams (in my case, the 2 in Sydney).

Bad weekend as I only got two right but then again, the others in the comp did just as poorly.
Cheers

Holden

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 01, 2021, 03:22:13 AM
Hold on a second !!

Why has no-one told me that the Brisbane Lions song was based on the French Anthem !! This changes everything ???  :o Is it too late to change allegiance again ?  :laugh: Very gritty team they are, they gave Geelong a serious run for their money to the end in the last round and this time, they did manage to overtake Collingwood at the siren. Great stuff.

The Adelaide Crows song is based on a tune by Offenbach. It was also used for the US "Marines' Hymn", which is probably where the Crows first heard it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marines%27_Hymn

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 19, 2022, 01:38:50 AM
Another win under our belt yesterday at the Eagles, albeit much scrappier than it could have been.

Hawkins going past the 700 mark is another achievement. I have often heard he is one of the most unselfish kickers (they mentioned it again last night, I noticed it in past games too), always looking for better positioned team-mates. It'd be interesting to look at the number of his goal assists so to speak, how much higher he could be in the scoring ranks.

With us talking of byes, they gave a frightening stat in the game build-up. Geelong (and the Eagles) are two of the worst-performing teams after a bye. Before yesterday's game, Geelong had only won 3 out of the last 17 post-bye games. I rest my case about byes  :laugh:  :P

1st v 2nd (Lions / Dees)

I need to come back to this to note that you have learned terms like "Dees" and "Freo".  The Australian art of shortening words is being transmitted :laugh:

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on June 19, 2022, 08:12:58 PM
I need to come back to this to note that you have learned terms like "Dees" and "Freo".  The Australian art of shortening words is being transmitted :laugh:

That's the only way for me to try and keep up with JB, BT or Abbs ( 8) ) and their punditry gibberish :laugh:
Olivier

Holden

Quote from: Holden on June 19, 2022, 02:14:10 PM
Bad weekend as I only got two right but then again, the others in the comp did just as poorly.

Actually I got three as did most others. Stevie, who leads the comp got 10/12 - bastard!
Cheers

Holden

Papy Oli

Olivier

Papy Oli

Listening to the last few minutes on the Aussie radio was excruciating..

Definitely one Cats game to watch on catch up tomorrow!!!    8)

(Edit: That Tom Stewart late high hit on the Richmond player is a disgrace though. If the shoe was on the other foot, we'd want him to be suspended for a while).
Olivier