Your top 10 favorite Italian composers

Started by Symphonic Addict, April 03, 2021, 02:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amw

Predictable list for anyone who knows my interests.

Matteo da Perugia
Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina
Luca Marenzio
Girolamo Frescobaldi
Domenico Scarlatti
Goffredo Petrassi
Luigi Nono
Franco Donatoni
Aldo Clementi
Salvatore Sciarrino

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 03, 2021, 02:41:04 PM
Interesting!  I thought that you weren't into Italian opera though (Puccini)? I don't know any of his non-operatic works.  Is that what you were referring to?  Sorry, confused here.

A few favorites of mine: 

Puccini (love his operas)
Verdi (love his operas!)
Donizetti
Rossini
Bellini
Respighi
Monteverdi
...will have to think of others...

Yes, two years ago I heard all of his operas and I fell in love with most of them. An unabashed sense of beauty, humanity, voluptuousness and striking melodies make them completely irresistible to me. I've not been into opera lately, but Puccini remains my favorite Italian composer in that regard. I hope to be listening to more operas in the near future.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: mabuse on April 04, 2021, 12:55:50 PM
Niccolò Paganini
Niccolò Paganini
Niccolò Paganini
Niccolò Paganini
Niccolò Paganini
Niccolò Paganini
Niccolò Paganini
Niccolò Paganini
Niccolò Paganini
Niccolò Paganini

Is he your favorite composer overall?
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

GioCar

My list of living composers, more or less in order of preference at least for the first 4/5 positions.

Pierluigi Billone
Salvatore Sciarrino
Luca Francesconi
Marco Stroppa
Giovanni Verrando
Lucia Ronchetti
Ivan Fedele
Osvaldo Coluccino
Francesco Filidei
Fabio Vacchi

MusicTurner

Quote from: GioCar on April 04, 2021, 10:20:24 PM
My list of living composers, more or less in order of preference at least for the first 4/5 positions.

Pierluigi Billone
Salvatore Sciarrino
Luca Francesconi
Marco Stroppa
Giovanni Verrando
Lucia Ronchetti
Ivan Fedele
Osvaldo Coluccino
Francesco Filidei
Fabio Vacchi

Hm, interesting - I only know Francesconi  (usually quite accesible) and Sciarrino.

GioCar

Quote from: MusicTurner on April 04, 2021, 11:01:14 PM
Hm, interesting - I only know Francesconi  (usually quite accesible) and Sciarrino.

Well, if you want to dive into the unknown  ;) I would recommend these two recordings from Kairos

which are among my favorites in contemporary music. If you are familiar with Tarkovsky's films, you should recognize the title/quotation of the first one.

Billone, a Sciarrino's and Lachenmann's pupil, is by far the most interesting young Italian composer (not so young anymore...) imo.

MusicTurner

Quote from: GioCar on April 05, 2021, 01:18:47 AM
Well, if you want to dive into the unknown  ;) I would recommend these two recordings from Kairos

which are among my favorites in contemporary music. If you are familiar with Tarkovsky's films, you should recognize the title/quotation of the first one.

Billone, a Sciarrino's and Lachenmann's pupil, is by far the most interesting young Italian composer (not so young anymore...) imo.

Thank you, I will investigate ...

Iota

Quote from: MusicTurner on April 05, 2021, 01:48:00 AM
Thank you, I will investigate ...

+1

(.. along with a few of the others on that list)

Mirror Image

Quote from: amw on April 04, 2021, 03:24:55 PM
Predictable list for anyone who knows my interests.

Matteo da Perugia
Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina
Luca Marenzio
Girolamo Frescobaldi
Domenico Scarlatti
Goffredo Petrassi
Luigi Nono
Franco Donatoni
Aldo Clementi
Salvatore Sciarrino

Nice to see you stuck with a 'Top 10' and not a 'Top 100'. ;) ;D

As for my own list...hmmm....(in no particular order):

Dallapiccola
Casella
Malipiero
Scelsi
Berio

This is the only list I could come up with.

amw

Quote from: MusicTurner on April 04, 2021, 11:01:14 PM
I'm honestly not a huge fan of Billone or Ronchetti (and never heard of Vacchi) but that whole list repays exploration. I would also probably name Alessandro Solbiati, Mauro Lanza, and Stefano Gervasoni, and Silvia Borzelli seems to have a great deal of potential even though I've only heard two pieces by her. And of course there's Sylvano Bussotti, who is now I think about 90, and probably the last survivor of the Darmstadt generation.

ritter

How could I forget Bussotti? As you say, amw, probably the last member of the Darnstadt gegeration still with us. Probably, also one of the "wackiest"  ;), but he did produce some stunning works...

mabuse

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 04, 2021, 06:21:21 PM
Is he (Paganini) your favorite composer overall?

My reaction was maybe a little bit excessive because I felt disapointed no one mention him  :P
But despite this, among italian composers from the old generation, Paganini is probably my favorite...
The "24 caprices" are great works and violin concertos are really enjoyable to me.

I also like very much his delightful music for guitar and violin :
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy7-EU0oYNeDXk5ocyKooKksdER0_G-4L

Among the new generation, I also love Clara Iannotta  :)
http://claraiannotta.com/

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Does anybody Prefer A. Scarlatti to D. S.?

amw

Quote from: mabuse on April 06, 2021, 07:03:45 PM

Among the new generation, I also love Clara Iannotta  :)
http://claraiannotta.com/

I suppose I should have thought of Clara Iannotta and Patricia Alessandrini but they completely slipped my mind due to both being based outside of Italy (Germany & Switzerland I think).

Florestan

Vivaldi
D. Scarlatti
Boccherini
Paganini
Rossini
Donizetti
Bellini
Verdi
Puccini
Wolf-Ferrari

Honorable mention: Monteverdi, Tartini, Locatelli, Pergolesi, Sgambatti --- and for a change, Castelnuovo-Tedesco.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Jo498

Monteverdi
Vivaldi
Verdi
Domenico Scarlatti
Boccherini
A. Scarlatti
Puccini
Corelli
Respighi
Clementi
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mirror Image

I suppose it's time to update my list (in no particular order):

Respighi
Dallapiccola
Casella
Malipiero

Well...that's about it!

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 03, 2021, 02:07:58 PM
There are threads for other nationalities, but not for this one, or at least this way.

Mine are:

Respighi
Casella
Castelnuovo-Tedesco
Rota
Malipiero
Pizzetti
Puccini
Vivaldi
Busoni
Martucci or Sgambati

My list would look exactly the same, though perhaps replacing Martucci/Sgambati with Cherubini. I also love Boccherini's music.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on June 06, 2021, 08:17:49 AM
My list would look exactly the same, though perhaps replacing Martucci/Sgambati with Cherubini. I also love Boccherini's music.

Cherubini's string quartets and masses are the highlights of his output to me.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 06, 2021, 02:03:16 PM
Cherubini's string quartets and masses are the highlights of his output to me.

Agreed. I also heard one of his opera overtures on the radio and it was really vigorous and imaginative. I found his Symphony in D major to be rather disappointing.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff