5 Composers - Trending up/Trending Down

Started by Brahmsian, April 09, 2021, 04:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

I have to think about my own list before posting it, but I wanted to see what are the five composers for you personally, in your own collection, listening or general interest, are trending upwards? And which have taken a downturn. 5 of each.

There may have been a similar thread in the past, but I can't recall. Also, the moderators could move this into the poll section if it seems more appropriate.

Cato

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 09, 2021, 04:08:15 AM
I have to think about my own list before posting it, but I wanted to see what are the five composers for you personally, in your own collection, listening or general interest, are trending upwards? And which have taken a downturn. 5 of each.

There may have been a similar thread in the past, but I can't recall. Also, the moderators could move this into the poll section if it seems more appropriate.

I am not sure I can say that there is ever a "trend" in any direction, but here are the ones most recently played:

Scriabin

Theodore Dubois

Miklos Rozsa

Karl Hartmann

Karl Henning
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Brahmsian

It actually was more difficult than I thought to come up with five for each, but I did. Here it is:

Trending up

Dvořák
Franck, C.
Bruckner
Shostakovich
Sibelius

Trending down

Beethoven
Brahms
Haydn
Bach
Mahler

Biffo

Trending up (featuring in my listening over the past few weeks)

Sibelius
Vaughan Williams
Elgar
Mozart
Dvorak

Renaissance polyphonists

Kabelac
Schmidt
Villa Lobos

The last three because I have been working my way (sporadically) through recently purchased symphony cycles. The first four because I am working my way through the big Warner Barbirolli box.

In deep freeze (rather than trending down) -

Beethoven
Berlioz
Brahms
Mahler
Wagner
Haydn
Monteverdi

Any of these could be reactivated at any time

Trending down -

Bruckner
Shostakovich
Prokofiev

DSCH could suddenly trend up at any time

Mirror Image

Hmmm...I'll try my hand at this:

Trending up

Roussel
Milhaud
R. Strauss
Mahler
Hindemith

Trending down

Shostakovich
Rachmaninov
Vaughan Williams
Elgar
Dvořák

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 09, 2021, 06:59:14 AM
Hmmm...I'll try my hand at this:

Trending up

Roussel
Milhaud
R. Strauss
Mahler
Hindemith

Trending down

Shostakovich
Rachmaninov
Vaughan Williams
Elgar
Dvořák

Just give John half an hour, folks --- the trends might be completely reverted as well.  :laugh:
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Papy Oli

Trending up:

Debussy
Ravel
Fauré
Saint-Saëns
César Franck

Trending down:

Everybody else.
Olivier

Florestan

As for myself, the only composer who really trended down, long time ago, is Beethoven. I still love his solo piano and chamber music (except the SQs) and the Lieder / folksongs arrangements but I haven't voluntarily listened to his symphonies and concertos since I can't remember how long.

Conversely, I can think of no composer trending up, unless by this you mean discoveries, in which case I nominate Daniel Auber.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on April 09, 2021, 07:10:16 AM
Just give John half an hour, folks --- the trends might be completely reverted as well.  :laugh:

:P

Mirror Image

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 09, 2021, 07:13:27 AM
Trending up:

Debussy
Ravel
Fauré

Nice! I certainly can't refute these three master composers.

vandermolen

Trending up:

Roussel (thank you MI)
Milhaud (as above)
Leshnoff
Sibelius
Walton

Trending down:

Alwyn (he will trend up in due course as will the others)
Rimsky K
Weinberg
Mahler
Castelnuovo-Tedesco
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Stürmisch Bewegt

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

MusicTurner

Trending up:

- Dvorak, orchestral & chamber
- Händel, vocal works
- Joseph Haydn
- Sciarrino
- Stravinsky

Trending down:
- everybody else, currently.

DavidW

Trending up:
Elgar
Villa Lobos
Shostakovich
Schubert
Lully
Buxtehude

Symphonic Addict

Trending up

Nielsen
Rota
Revueltas
Schulhoff
Janacek

Trending down

Bantock
Glazunov
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

calyptorhynchus

Sorry, don't understand this thread. You can't listen to all composers at once because of time, so random fluctuations in who you are listening to at the moment aren't significant. Besides which you're probably listening to new composers all the time and very few of these will become favourites.

Did you mean to ask for lists of five composers you once thought highly of but don't any more, and vice versa?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

André Le Nôtre

UP:

Franz Liszt: I am really enjoying Années de Pelerinage--Berman rec. and songs (Oh quand je dors!!!)

Pauline Oliveros: Crone Music--some of Mandryka's weird stuff--but I like it!  :laugh: 

Tomaso Vitali: I just heard the Chaconne recently for the first time--not sure how this piece eluded me for so long!

J.S. Bach: My favorite composer of all time, but I have not been listening to all that much recently until a few days ago, when I started in on the Marie-Claire Alain set yet again.

Max Richter: Just newly discovered, will probably be consigned to the down category pretty quickly!

DOWN:

Chopin: I have a love/hate relationship with his music, finding much of it overly sentimental and annoying, but certain pieces (Berceuse, Nocturnes, some Etudes) I really love a great deal. A couple years ago, I became enchanted with an old Alfred Cortot LP of the Etudes from the 50s, which was really very nice. Arguably, there were better pianists for Chopin (Michelangeli and Maryla Jonas, etc.), but he did have a certain feel for this repertoire.

Mahler: I used to love his music when I was young. Now I can barely tolerate it except for an adagio here and there. I have not listened to any of his music in a couple years at least. And yet I love Bruckner greatly!

Sweelinck: I went on a huge Sweelinck organ and harpsichord binge a couple years ago, but this has been subsiding. I really love his music and think we was one of the most under-appreciated composers in history

Debussy: Another of my very favorite composers, but I just have not listened to much of his music lately--not sure why!

Schubert: "    "    "    "

Brahmsian

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on April 09, 2021, 06:38:22 PM

Did you mean to ask for lists of five composers you once thought highly of but don't any more, and vice versa?

More of what I was thinking, yes.

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 09, 2021, 07:19:20 PM
More of what I was thinking, yes.

Well I don't tend to have fluctuating opinions about composers, usually when I first hear a composer I either like them or don't like them, and I tend to have the same reaction them every time (same goes for particular works and particular performances).

However one composer I have been more and more admiring of over time is Schubert. I first knew the 9th Symphony and similar  works, but over time I have been listening to more and more of his oeuvre and I'm always lost in admiration at new discoveries.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton