Getting back to normal

Started by DavidW, April 10, 2021, 06:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 11, 2022, 10:35:57 PM
The BBC TV news tends to waste 15 minutes of a half hour programme on speculative comments regarding some situation that hasn't happened yet or is unlikely to ever happen (such as Boris resigning). >:(

Finnish TV news are mostly about factual news and only occationally an expert is asked to speculate on something, but it only takes a couple of minutes. We have separate programs for discussion of topical subjects.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Spotted Horses

Quote from: 71 dB on May 11, 2022, 05:05:51 AM
Online news give me more stress because they are often clickbates. News on TV tend to be more appropriate, at least in Finland (I know in other countries this may not be the case).

I don't look at News that is pushed to me. I subscribe to one non-free news site, the New York Times. It's not perfect, but news stories are always well sourced and non-sensational. They don't always get it right, but I find them the most reliable source. I also look at the BBC News site and sometimes visit CNN's site just to see what the latest popular obsession is. There are paywall sites that I look at even though I am not subscribed, mainly The Washington Post and the Apple News aggregator.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

71 dB

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 12, 2022, 04:21:23 AM
I don't look at News that is pushed to me. I subscribe to one non-free news site, the New York Times. It's not perfect, but news stories are always well sourced and non-sensational. They don't always get it right, but I find them the most reliable source. I also look at the BBC News site and sometimes visit CNN's site just to see what the latest popular obsession is. There are paywall sites that I look at even though I am not subscribed, mainly The Washington Post and the Apple News aggregator.

The problem with the main stream media in the US is that it's all owned by a few billionaires and that means their agenda is to protect the oligarchic status quo. You have options from left to right on social issues, but on economic issues they are all right-wing. For left-wing perspective of economic issues you need to go to independent sources not owned by the oligarchs.

In Finland the media is also skewed a little toward the right on economic issues, but only a small fraction of how it is in the US so it is not insane, and left wing voices are also heard (and not called crazy communists who want to make Finland Cuba or Venezuela). The Overton window in Finland is positioned pretty well.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Spotted Horses

Quote from: 71 dB on May 12, 2022, 08:00:45 AM
The problem with the main stream media in the US is that it's all owned by a few billionaires and that means their agenda is to protect the oligarchic status quo. You have options from left to right on social issues, but on economic issues they are all right-wing. For left-wing perspective of economic issues you need to go to independent sources not owned by the oligarchs.

It is possible to separate factual reporting from opinion. You are not able to do this because you are captive to propagandists.

The New York Times is a publicly traded company, in which the Sulzberger family (which has published the paper since 1896) owns a controlling interest of B-stock, which gives them the right to appoint most members of the board of directors of the company, despite owning a small percentage of equity in the company. The New York Times is not owned by "oligarchs."
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 12, 2022, 04:21:23 AM

This.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 12, 2022, 08:35:16 AM
It is possible to separate factual reporting from opinion. You are not able to do this because you are captive to propagandists.

Q.E.D:

Quote from: 71 dB on May 12, 2022, 08:00:45 AM
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot