Author Topic: How to embed Flash Video (like Youtube videos)  (Read 63753 times)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: How to embed Flash Video (like Youtube videos)
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2021, 06:46:22 PM »
For that reason I kept with Chrome for far too long.  It stopped working with Outlook 365 and it was a huge resource hog on my work PC.  I switched to Firefox and imported everything over.  I installed Firefox on all of my PCs, my Phone and my Ipad and everything is hunky dory.

I used to use FF, did for years. Then (circa vers. 40) it got freaking humongous, and did its level best to own my computer. If they fixed that, I would go back to them. I always liked their extensions far better. There are Android versions, yes?

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2021, 04:26:48 AM »
I removed Flash Player from my Macs to be safe(r) since it was no longer going to be supported and I thought that 99% of sites were now using HTML5.  Is it safe then to post Flash videos here?  And what about viewing videos on youtube?  I dug around a bit more and found this article:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2876307/so-long-flash-youtube-now-defaults-to-html5-on-the-web.html

Is there a way that we can embed videos here but using HTML5 instead of via Flash?

I thought it wasn't going to work any longer (after 1/1). So that's good. Chrome is quite pissed at me for continually telling to to f**k off when it wants to shut down Flash altogether.

I would dump Chrome, except my phone and tablet sync with my computer on so many things, it's very handy for saving links remotely and having them show up on my desktop when I log on. :-\

8)
Gurn,

I did read that one could still download Adobe's Flash Player (if one needed it), but since they're no longer supporting it, it's getting increasingly unsafe to use--from what I understand anyway.

PD

p.s. Perhaps someone could check with our Chief?

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2021, 05:12:08 PM »
I removed Flash Player from my Macs to be safe(r) since it was no longer going to be supported and I thought that 99% of sites were now using HTML5.  Is it safe then to post Flash videos here?  And what about viewing videos on youtube?  I dug around a bit more and found this article:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2876307/so-long-flash-youtube-now-defaults-to-html5-on-the-web.html

Is there a way that we can embed videos here but using HTML5 instead of via Flash?
Gurn,

I did read that one could still download Adobe's Flash Player (if one needed it), but since they're no longer supporting it, it's getting increasingly unsafe to use--from what I understand anyway.

PD

p.s. Perhaps someone could check with our Chief?

Well, what I DON'T understand is why this issue still exists. Youtube videos aren't Flash anyway, I download them routinely, and they are always MP4. Of course, my downloading software converts them to that on the fly, but the posting software here converts them TO Flash on the fly too, so why not pick a format that's more current? IOW, it's a Simple Machines issue, at least until someone convinces me otherwise.  :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2021, 04:33:24 AM »
Well, what I DON'T understand is why this issue still exists. Youtube videos aren't Flash anyway, I download them routinely, and they are always MP4. Of course, my downloading software converts them to that on the fly, but the posting software here converts them TO Flash on the fly too, so why not pick a format that's more current? IOW, it's a Simple Machines issue, at least until someone convinces me otherwise.  :)

8)
I agree!  :)