GMG --- Friends, Inc.

Started by Florestan, April 10, 2021, 08:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

I've been a member of this board since 2007, I think --- and as such it is my firm and unshakeable conviction that this is THE VERY BEST "classical music" forum on the whole Internet, featuring the most knowledgeable, the nicest and the kindest people I've ever met online.

Three cheers to GMG, to GMGers and to Rob!

I love you all, my virtual friends!

:-* :-* :-*
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

steve ridgway

This is good to know as it's the only classical music forum I've joined and will save me bothering with any others. :D

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on April 10, 2021, 08:30:33 AM
I've been a member of this board since 2007, I think --- and as such it is my firm and unshakeable conviction that this is THE VERY BEST "classical music" forum on the whole Internet, featuring the most knowledgeable, the nicest and the kindest people I've ever met online.

I agree with all of this.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

petrarch

Hear, hear! (though I rarely post these days)
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Florestan

premont

I also agree complertely. We are indeed fortunate to have this forum.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

Quote from: (: premont :) on April 10, 2021, 10:20:09 AM
I also agree complertely. We are indeed fortunate to have this forum.

Rob is the man! May God keep him and all his loved ones!

Cato

Karl Henning predates me: I think I go back to 2003 or so.

I would like to see the archive from before 2007!

Thank you, Florestan!  Very nice!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Florestan

Quote from: Cato on April 10, 2021, 10:44:15 AM
Thank you, Florestan!  Very nice!

You're welcome, Leo! That's my honest and heartfelt impresssion.

Cato

Quote from: Florestan on April 10, 2021, 10:48:05 AM
You're welcome, Leo! That's my honest and heartfelt impresssion.

Mine also!

I have not been as loquacious as in the early years.  My energies have been hemidemisemidivided in recent times: I should revitalize e.g.Cato's Grammar Grumble (there is plenty of material to grumble about), or various other things, but by the time I think I have a spare moment...I don't!

To be sure, it seems that various things which I have offered for discussion do not seem to generate much interest: I suppose the membership is quite different now from what it used to be (smaller also (?)), so that could be a factor.

Anyway, GMG remains a major interest for me!

André Le Nôtre

Hi, yes it's nice to be here.

I formerly posted as XB-70 Valkyrie, but I got tired of the militaristic connotations of that avatar--I don't want to nuke anybody, I just think it's a cool airplane. I am guessing that André Le Nôtre was not too much of a d-bag, although his boss certainly was...  :laugh: We saw some of his work in France a couple years ago. There is a monument/bust of him in Tulleries Garden in Paris. And I continue to be in awe of the magnificant photography of Eugène Atget, whose photo from St. Cloud (another Le Nôtre garden) is my current avatar.

The 33 1/3 thread and the Pipe organ thread are particular favorites of mine (I try to stay away from the political stuff!)

Cheers,

8)

André

It's always a good idea to send flowers and bouquets  :D. I join the chorus of applause for this, easily the most interesting musical forum on the net. People here are genuine.

Mirror Image

I haven't been a member here too long. I think I joined in 2010 (?). Anyway, I had been a member of other forums like Talk Classical (terrible forum that is full of some of the most overly sensitive children I think I've ever encountered and I don't care anything about their game threads) and one smaller one called Bright Cecilia, but I don't think it exists any longer ---- just as well as it took a week to get a response from someone. :D When I joined GMG, it felt like I finally reached a forum that had a plethora of knowledgeable people, but also people that I could actually talk to and them not be offended by everything I wrote. Yes, indeed the good people here have some of the thickest skins of all the classical forums. :) But, more importantly, I've made some great friends that I love to talk music with and that help me in my escape from my little corner of the world. Thanks to all for making this a fun experience and, hopefully, the fun will continue! 8)

Holden

My profile says I joined in 2007 but I know I go much further back than that. This is a great forum, it's well moderated, the members are very knowledgeable and I enjoy reading and posting on the threads that matter to me. I also belong to another board but it's prevalence for posting the political has made me step back to the point where I stopped posting for four months. It's also great t have someone like Rob (a fellow Aussie) keeping an overview on what's happening. I'm very happy to be here.
Cheers

Holden

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 10, 2021, 05:10:57 PM
People here are genuine.
I agree with André. This is certainly my experience here. The GMG Forum has cost me a fortune in CDs - but I wouldn't be without it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

david johnson

I am also in the class of 2007  :)  My time here is always worthwhile to me.

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on April 10, 2021, 10:44:50 PM
I agree with André. This is certainly my experience here. The GMG Forum has cost me a fortune in CDs - but I wouldn't be without it.

Speaking of CD's, have you checked out... 8)

And  0:) 0:) 0:)   Amen!   0:) 0:) 0:)  to Holden:

Quote from: Holden on April 10, 2021, 10:41:02 PM
My profile says I joined in 2007 but I know I go much further back than that. This is a great forum, it's well moderated, the members are very knowledgeable and I enjoy reading and posting on the threads that matter to me. I also belong to another board but it's prevalence for posting the political has made me step back to the point where I stopped posting for four months. It's also great t have someone like Rob (a fellow Aussie) keeping an overview on what's happening. I'm very happy to be here.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Old San Antone on April 10, 2021, 05:45:42 PM
I visit two forums and each has its advantages and defects.  GMG doesn't have Bulldog's games, and too many political threads and not enough activity.  Talk Classical has Bulldog's games, which are fun, but there's way too many threads about "greatness"  - is this composer greater than that composer; is music objectively great or is it all subjective ... 

The perfect forum would have no politics but have games; no polls about who's greater - along with the listening and other neutral threads.

Please tell Don (Bulldog) that he is missed on GMG, from ChamberNut (aka Ray).

Brian

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on April 10, 2021, 11:49:22 AM
I formerly posted as XB-70 Valkyrie, but I got tired of the militaristic connotations of that avatar
Ohhh! I remember you well! That's one thing that I like a lot about GMG. So many of the regulars have been here for so long that we're all basically pen pals. I'm part of the class of 2007 which means you guys have been reading my drivel since I was in high school  ;D The fact that Mirror Image wrote "I haven't been a member here too long" - and then said he has been here for eleven years!! - well that really shows the staying power of GMG and how long everyone else has stuck around. When you join this board, you're joining for life  :)