Announcements > GMG News

GMG --- Friends, Inc.

<< < (30/31) > >>

springrite:

--- Quote from: Mirror Image on April 14, 2021, 10:38:36 AM ---It seems by the sound of it that even I could be considered one of the GMG trolls. :P We all have our eccentricities of course, but also, there are some people who are just plain...bizarre.

--- End quote ---
But we love your version of bizarreness.

(: premont :):

--- Quote from: springrite on April 14, 2021, 08:16:50 PM ---But we love your version of bizarreness.

--- End quote ---

+1

Mirror Image:

--- Quote from: springrite on April 14, 2021, 08:16:50 PM ---But we love your version of bizarreness.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: (: premont :) on April 14, 2021, 11:09:29 PM ---+1

--- End quote ---

Thanks, fellas. :)

foxandpeng:

--- Quote from: DaveF on April 14, 2021, 11:00:09 AM ---I remember that one (of many) of Sean's peculiarities was that he held it to be literally, physically impossible for modern listeners to understand music written pre-1700 because it was "modal" rather than "tonal".  Apparently back then they had an extra awareness, rather like beings that inhabit 4-dimensional space, of the differences between the Mixolydian, Dorian, Phrygian etc. which we have completely lost.  For us to listen to early music was therefore rather like a blind person visiting a picture gallery.  I once forced John Browne's Stabat mater upon him, which he gave his usual thorough attention (he listened to everything 5 times before expressing an opinion) before grudgingly conceding that it exhibited "proto-tonal tendencies".

--- End quote ---

This thread was the one that prompted me to re-register again properly, and to say hello after such a long time. I really appreciate the way you all view the forum. I'm also registered on other fora, but I visit here far more frequently than other places. I confess that one of my dim and distant conversations with Sean led me to stop contributing, but I was less resilient then, due to a tough patch. I still probably won't add much, but I do enjoy learning here.

Cato:

--- Quote from: foxandpeng on April 29, 2021, 02:20:30 AM ---This thread was the one that prompted me to re-register again properly, and to say hello after such a long time. I really appreciate the way you all view the forum. I'm also registered on other fora, but I visit here far more frequently than other places. I confess that one of my dim and distant conversations with Sean led me to stop contributing, but I was less resilient then, due to a tough patch. I still probably won't add much, but I do enjoy learning here.

--- End quote ---

Ouch!  However, it is very nice that you have returned!!

--- Quote from: DaveF on April 14, 2021, 11:00:09 AM ---I remember that one (of many) of Sean's peculiarities was that he held it to be literally, physically impossible for modern listeners to understand music written pre-1700 because it was "modal" rather than "tonal".  Apparently back then they had an extra awareness, rather like beings that inhabit 4-dimensional space, of the differences between the Mixolydian, Dorian, Phrygian etc. which we have completely lost.  For us to listen to early music was therefore rather like a blind person visiting a picture gallery.  I once forced John Browne's Stabat mater upon him, which he gave his usual thorough attention (he listened to everything 5 times before expressing an opinion) before grudgingly conceding that it exhibited "proto-tonal tendencies".

--- End quote ---

Sean exhibited proto-no-no tendencies, and I don't mean Luigi!   ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version