GMG --- Friends, Inc.

Started by Florestan, April 10, 2021, 08:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Ah, okay. I was pretty new when M Forever made his appearance so Michel must have been very early, like 2005.

springrite

Quote from: Brian on April 12, 2021, 06:50:09 PM
Ah, okay. I was pretty new when M Forever made his appearance so Michel must have been very early, like 2005.

Many of us go way back to the pre-GMG days before the turn of the millennium. (I know I am showing my age here...)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: springrite on April 12, 2021, 06:54:43 PM
Many of us go way back to the pre-GMG days before the turn of the millennium. (I know I am showing my age here...)

Yeah, that's even before me! (2002 or 3). Man you ARE old! :D :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 12, 2021, 05:49:51 PM
No, he was before your time. He had a variety of irritating mannerisms. My overwhelming memory of him is his monumental rudeness. Some miss him, I don't particularly....😐

🤠😎

Sounds like he'd get along famously with James. ;)

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 12, 2021, 08:01:40 PM
I went through James, M, Scarpia (Mel Merkel), Jack Buck (who hated me simply because I am Chinese which meant he could be considered ahead of his time in some circles), and that former student of Leibowitz (from SF, forgot his name)...

Spotted Horses

Quote from: springrite on April 12, 2021, 08:07:09 PM
I went through James, M, Scarpia (Mel Merkel), Jack Buck (who hated me simply because I am Chinese which meant he could be considered ahead of his time in some circles), and that former student of Leibowitz (from SF, forgot his name)...

Mel Merkel was Iago.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on April 12, 2021, 08:07:09 PM

Anyone who dislikes you is an absolute moron regardless of the reason. I have had nothing but a good time talking with you through all these years.

springrite

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 12, 2021, 08:22:07 AM
:laugh:

Wait, you mean it's not?!  ??? 🙀😾

:)

And, yes, most of the time I feel comfortable and enjoy being on this site.  :)

🐈 🎵
;D ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on April 12, 2021, 05:54:18 PM
When you guys say Michel, do you mean Michael "M Forever" or someone else? M Forever was a really smart, knowledgeable member, I think a double bass player who had been in several German orchestras, but who unfortunately was amazingly rude and insulting to anyone he disagreed with. I don't remember Michel.
Did he have a 'Jaws'-like shark avatar? I may have got this completely wrong. I also recall 'Sidney Grew' as a rather 'colourful' character.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brahmsian

Quote from: vandermolen on April 12, 2021, 10:45:42 PM
Did he have a 'Jaws'-like shark avatar? I may have got this completely wrong. I also recall 'Sidney Grew' as a rather 'colourful' character.

Yes, I remember Sidney Grew.

Cato

LUKE OTTEVANGER!!!  Where are you?

I have urged him - via his wife's FaceBook account - to return at least once in a while.  He is (was?) a composer with (so to speak) post-Scriabinian style, which I found most fascinating.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Florestan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 13, 2021, 02:57:07 AM
Yes, I remember Sidney Grew.

Yes, the guy who always used the royal we when speaking of himself and lost no opportunity to trumpet his view that gay people were artistically and intellectually superior to straight ones.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Brian

Quote from: Cato on April 13, 2021, 03:32:57 AM
LUKE OTTEVANGER!!!  Where are you?

I have urged him - via his wife's FaceBook account - to return at least once in a while.  He is (was?) a composer with (so to speak) post-Scriabinian style, which I found most fascinating.
Luke was also a total delight to meet in person. We stood next to each other for the live BBC Proms "Gothic" Symphony (now on Hyperion) and I think I spotted a tear in his eye near the end.

EDIT: Since it is close to the subject of GMG Friends, Luke is one of several GMGers I've met...that night of the Gothic included vandermolen, Dundonnell, and JZ Herrenberg (maybe someone else I'm forgetting?), and at other times I've met Greta (the first stranger I ever met from the internet), Papy Oli, Bruce, Dancing Divertimentian, (poco) Sforzando, and EigenUser. Can anyone beat my record of 10 GMGers met??

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 12, 2021, 08:01:40 PM

Actually, he made James look like your cuddly buddy! He used to bait people into saying something nice so he could kick them in the crotch.  How do you deal with that level of brutishness?  Understand he's a lawyer now; not sure what to say about that!  😳😂

🤠😎
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

There are plenty of posters to miss.  TonyTT, Philo (the bunnies), Sidoze, Molman, Bill, the Dancing Divertimentian, Bulldog, Luke, Elgarian, ... who was our Ormandy fan from Philly?  I'm blanking on his name now.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on April 13, 2021, 06:03:30 AM
There are plenty of posters to miss.  TonyTT, Philo (the bunnies), Sidoze, Molman, Bill, the Dancing Divertimentian, Bulldog, Luke, Elgarian, ... who was our Ormandy fan from Philly?  I'm blanking on his name now.

cliftwood?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

I think it might have been Barry perhaps??  My memory fails me.

André

Quote from: Brian on April 12, 2021, 05:54:18 PM
When you guys say Michel, do you mean Michael "M Forever" or someone else? M Forever was a really smart, knowledgeable member, I think a double bass player who had been in several German orchestras, but who unfortunately was amazingly rude and insulting to anyone he disagreed with. I don't remember Michel.

Different people. Michel also used Facehugger (from the Alien movie) as an alias.

M Forever was a very knowledgeable poster, always interesting when posting about music. But he could be...difficult.

Florestan

Quote from: Florestan on April 13, 2021, 04:10:08 AM
Yes, the guy who always used the royal we when speaking of himself and lost no opportunity to trumpet his view that gay people were artistically and intellectually superior to straight ones.

Just re-read his (Sydney Grew's) posts. A strong contender for the most insufferable and affected member, a cut above even M Forever, whose rudeness was at least naturally expressed and whose knowledge was at least indisputable. He gets my nomination for the greatest GMG prick ever.

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno