GMG --- Friends, Inc.

Started by Florestan, April 10, 2021, 08:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Quote from: Old San Antone on April 11, 2021, 05:55:28 AM
I will.

I forgot one other thing about GMG I don't like: those cutsy thread titles devoted to composers.  It makes it tricky searching and hard to find them, as opposed to simply writing their full name and dates.   ::)

OSA,
The composer index, thanks to Schnittkease, is very handy in this instance  ;)

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,26912.0.html

Olivier

Brahmsian

Quote from: Old San Antone on April 11, 2021, 05:55:28 AM
I will.

I forgot one other thing about GMG I don't like: those cutsy thread titles devoted to composers.  It makes it tricky searching and hard to find them, as opposed to simply writing their full name and dates.   ::)

Thank you.

That's why I am forever grateful for the composer index. I use it constantly.

premont

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 11, 2021, 05:10:30 AM
Please tell Don (Bulldog) that he is missed on GMG, from ChamberNut (aka Ray).

Don visited GMG a few years ago, but his only activity was to arrange lots of polls. When he realized, that the interest of these wasn't that great, he left again.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

DavidW

I came in I would like to say maybe in 2001 or 2002?  I was posting on a different forum and I remember that Gurn and Molman told me that they were leaving for GMG, and so I followed them.  I would like to say that Herman, Hector, Scarpia and maybe Karl were all in the same boat as well.  But it has been so long that my mind is fuzzy on the matter.  One of my fondest memories was AnthonyAthletic and I (both of us are big Mahlerites) would mail each other cd burns. 

premont

Having been a member of the old defunct GMG already from about 2003 I have been here for a very long time. Never thought of leaving, because this is the most friendly and interesting music forum I know (many thanks to Rob who created this). Being interested first  and foremost (but not exclusively) in Early Music, a number of members here have been most helpful in widening my horizon, and this has given me much pleasure. Despite the fact that some members now and then leave the forum, the core has been more or less constant for the many past years, so that we have become very familiar with each others - with all the good effects this brings.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on April 11, 2021, 06:58:24 AM
I came in I would like to say maybe in 2001 or 2002?  I was posting on a different forum and I remember that Gurn and Molman told me that they were leaving for GMG, and so I followed them.  I would like to say that Herman, Hector, Scarpia and maybe Karl were all in the same boat as well.  But it has been so long that my mind is fuzzy on the matter.  One of my fondest memories was AnthonyAthletic and I (both of us are big Mahlerites) would mail each other cd burns.

Yup, '02. Molman! Man, it HAS been a while.  Remember the Forum was all done up in orange and purple back then. Christ it was ugly!  :P  The only characters that were here then that I recall today are Uffeviking, Todd, Herman and Sidoze. It was quite a spot, some serious discussion, no politics, no religion, just music. Well, diversification happens.

I was in 3 other fora at the time, and gave them a lot of time and effort, but they gradually all faded away, yet this one remains. Not just for me, I mean it remains. So clearly, whatever faults it has (and I'm sure there are many) they aren't sufficient to kill it. That says something, even if I couldn't say what, exactly.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Maestro267

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 11, 2021, 06:37:02 AM
Thank you.

That's why I am forever grateful for the composer index. I use it constantly.

Me too, and I don't feel guilty about posting in long-dormant composer threads, cos that's the whole point of the composer index. If I've discovered a new composer whose music I like, I want to post about it.

I like this place a lot. The fact that there are so many composer threads, not just the well-known ones, is fantastic. One of the first things I noticed that made me feel like this was a place I'd like was that the Havergal Brian thread was 300+ pages long while the Mozart thread hadn't (still hasn't?) reached 100.

DavidW

Holy cow Gurn that means that you have been here continuously for 19 years!

Harry

I have no idea how long I have been here, left a few times came back, so I have been a constant, well maybe from 2006 already under different names though.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on April 11, 2021, 07:24:12 AM
Holy cow Gurn that means that you have been here continuously for 19 years!

Yeah, sad to say. I don't know what that says about me though. :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

André

Quote from: "Harry" on April 11, 2021, 07:51:56 AM
I have no idea how long I have been here, left a few times came back, so I have been a constant, well maybe from 2006 already under different names though.

Weren't they all variations on 'Harry' ?

Before André I was Lilas Pastia and before that, Calaf. I don't know the dates, but it's been a while.

A few members have departed to Valhalla. I miss Uffeviking the most. Such a great gal !

DavidW

Quote from: André on April 11, 2021, 12:08:19 PM
A few members have departed to Valhalla. I miss Uffeviking the most. Such a great gal !

Yeah do you remember our Onslow fan?  I think he might have gone by Egmont but I can't say for sure.  He was a nice guy.

André

You mean this Onslow ?

Can't recall his name. That's quite some time ago...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on April 11, 2021, 12:23:03 PM
Yeah do you remember our Onslow fan?  I think he might have gone by Egmont but I can't say for sure.  He was a nice guy.

The Late Steve. Died May, 2007.  :'(  One of my best friends.

The Late Lis. Died December, 2015.  :'(  One of my best friends.

Apparently it doesn't pay to be one of my best friends, when I see it put that way. :)

But there is something to be said for being on a forum. You meet some of the nicest people. And the antithesis. :-\

8)

Harry

Weren't they all variations on 'Harry' ?

Before André I was Lilas Pastia and before that, Calaf. I don't know the dates, but it's been a while.

Yes a few were, but also some outlandish ones, like Chen Tao "The true path" :laugh:
But as to the matter of Lis (Uffeviking) it was a great loss when she died, but then again I saw many go from GMG, mostly by death, and many because they were disappointed. I remember them, all of them, for as long as they are remembered, they are not really gone. At this pillar of grief and remembrance I keep myself upright. I realize also when you are at a certain age, and your friends too, deaths are likely to occur more as one wishes, that's the curse of old age.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: "Harry" on April 11, 2021, 01:26:12 PM
Yes a few were, but also some outlandish ones, like Chen Tao "The true path" :laugh:
But as to the matter of Lis (Uffeviking) it was a great loss when she died, but then again I saw many go from GMG, most by death, and many because they were disappointed. I remember them, all of them, for as long they are remembered they are not really gone. At this pillar of grief and remembrance I keep myself upright. I realize also when you are at a certain age, and your friends too, deaths are likely to occur more as one wishes, that's the curse of old age.

Well said, friend Harry!

😎🤠

Cato

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 11, 2021, 01:57:58 PM
Well said, friend Harry!

😎🤠

Yes, very nice!

Do you keep records from the pre-2007 forum as to when people joined?  I understand that there is an Internet Archive somewhere...and I don't mean the N.S.A.'s  quintillion petabyte system!   
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Cato on April 11, 2021, 02:39:32 PM

Yes, very nice!

Do you keep records from the pre-2007 forum as to when people joined?  I understand that there is an Internet Archive somewhere...and I don't mean the N.S.A.'s  quintillion petabyte system!   

There is something called the Wayback Machine, I used to use it, but don't recall the specifics now. You can probably Google it. The previous iteration of this forum, which existed from 2004(?) to 2007 had a corrupt database problem. Rob had it fixed well enough to allow leafing through it, but eventually the burden it put on him and the server got too much and it was allowed to die in peace ☮️.

🤠😎

Holden

Quote from: "Harry" on April 11, 2021, 01:26:12 PM
But as to the matter of Lis (Uffeviking) it was a great loss when she died, but then again I saw many go from GMG, most by death, and many because they were disappointed. I remember them, all of them, for as long they are remembered they are not really gone. At this pillar of grief and remembrance I keep myself upright. I realize also when you are at a certain age, and your friends too, deaths are likely to occur more as one wishes, that's the curse of old age.

A friend of mine said that life can be measured by celebrations. First come the 'matches', followed by the 'hatches' and then the 'dispatches' You tell which stage you are at by which one is the most prevalent.
Cheers

Holden

Cato

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 11, 2021, 02:49:36 PM
There is something called the Wayback Machine, I used to use it, but don't recall the specifics now. You can probably Google it. The previous iteration of this forum, which existed from 2004(?) to 2007 had a corrupt database problem. Rob had it fixed well enough to allow leafing through it, but eventually the burden it put on him and the server got too much and it was allowed to die in peace ☮️.

🤠😎

Yes, that's it!  The Wayback Machine,  courtesy of Jay Ward and Associates. Yes, I recall the corrupted database problem.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)