GMG --- Friends, Inc.

Started by Florestan, April 10, 2021, 08:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crudblud

I tend to engage with forums from a cautious distance these days (folks who knew me on TC will likely understand why I now take a reserved approach), but I do value GMG ahead of others I've spent time on. It is wonderful to have so many people of varying experiences and tastes together in one place for the simple enjoyment of good music. Despite the wide diversity of thought I've encountered here, I've never seen attempts by one to force the rightness of their opinions down the throats of others, nor squabbling over the best this or greatest that. Without a trace of hyperbole I say that GMG is the most laid back, least combative forum I've ever been involved with. Political discussion will of course be the exception that proves the rule, but as far as the "mission" of this place goes, never was there a more pleasant environment in which to explore the great traditions of western music.

So, I will also join in the giving of thanks to everyone who contributes their time and knowledge to make this place what it is.

vandermolen

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 11, 2021, 01:57:58 PM
Well said, friend Harry!

😎🤠

Indeed - I've lost my beloved sister-in-law (gosh, nine years ago now) and two very close friends in recent years. I've no idea how long I've been a member here but certainly pre-2007. I don't think that I ever left and returned, although there will have been periods when I have been less active. My wife still thinks it's a 'Cat Group' (which it kind-of is) as in: 'OMG you're not online to your Cat Group AGAIN!!!!'
;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on April 12, 2021, 12:01:10 AM
Indeed - I've lost my beloved sister-in-law (gosh, nine years ago now) and two very close friends in recent years. I've no idea how long I've been a member here but certainly pre-2007. I don't think that I ever left and returned, although there will have been periods when I have been less active. My wife still thinks it's a 'Cat Group' (which it kind-of is) as in: 'OMG you're not online to your Cat Group AGAIN!!!!'
;D

See that sort of remarks make me laugh in a boisterous and inappropriate way, (A bit like Sir Percy in Blackadder, still my favourite BBC series) so my wife tells me!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on April 12, 2021, 01:19:03 AM
See that sort of remarks make me laugh in a boisterous and inappropriate way, (A bit like Sir Percy in Blackadder, still my favourite BBC series) so my wife tells me!
Pleased to hear it Harry!
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: "Harry" on April 12, 2021, 01:19:03 AM

Hah!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

;D

Hah! :P A cat group. Well, we're certainly a catty bunch (or, at least, can be from time to time). ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Crudblud on April 11, 2021, 11:36:37 PM
I tend to engage with forums from a cautious distance these days (folks who knew me on TC will likely understand why I now take a reserved approach), but I do value GMG ahead of others I've spent time on. It is wonderful to have so many people of varying experiences and tastes together in one place for the simple enjoyment of good music. Despite the wide diversity of thought I've encountered here, I've never seen attempts by one to force the rightness of their opinions down the throats of others, nor squabbling over the best this or greatest that. Without a trace of hyperbole I say that GMG is the most laid back, least combative forum I've ever been involved with. Political discussion will of course be the exception that proves the rule, but as far as the "mission" of this place goes, never was there a more pleasant environment in which to explore the great traditions of western music.

So, I will also join in the giving of thanks to everyone who contributes their time and knowledge to make this place what it is.

Yes, this has been my experience on GMG as well. Of course, being a member here a bit longer than you have, we have had our fair share of trolls like the "If it's not Mendelssohn, it's garbage" composer wannabe Saul and the highly suspicious, cretin of a man, Sean. Glad to see both of these members are long gone at this point.

Brian

I wouldn't mind if Rob "Mozart is Fake" Newman came back for a few weeks. His visits are always entertaining.

Pohjolas Daughter

My wife still thinks it's a 'Cat Group' (which it kind-of is) as in: 'OMG you're not online to your Cat Group AGAIN!!!!'
;D
:laugh:

Wait, you mean it's not?!  ??? 🙀😾

:)

And, yes, most of the time I feel comfortable and enjoy being on this site.  :)

🐈 🎵

Pohjolas Daughter

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on April 12, 2021, 07:58:56 AM
I wouldn't mind if Rob "Mozart is Fake" Newman came back for a few weeks. His visits are always entertaining.

Allowing him to enter when I knew him well from other fora and knew the havoc he could cause turned out to be one of the boldest strokes of my moderating career here. I knew you guys would kick his arse for him, to start with, because he is used to bullying academics, not giving and getting with real people. It was the high point of the year! :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 12, 2021, 08:59:25 AM
Allowing him to enter when I knew him well from other fora and knew the havoc he could cause turned out to be one of the boldest strokes of my moderating career here. I knew you guys would kick his arse for him, to start with, because he is used to bullying academics, not giving and getting with real people. It was the high point of the year! :)

8)

Hah!  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Unlike most of you here, I've been a member for less than a decade, but I've certainly enjoyed my stay so far.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Cato

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 12, 2021, 08:59:25 AM

8)

ROB NEWMAN!  Musician and Maniac + !!!   "Mozart was a poseur"   ???   : sure, let's discuss that! 

One of my all-time favorites: PINK HARP with his obsessio mentalis about Debussy's Pelleas et Melisande!!!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Crudblud

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 12, 2021, 07:41:02 AM
Yes, this has been my experience on GMG as well. Of course, being a member here a bit longer than you have, we have had our fair share of trolls like the "If it's not Mendelssohn, it's garbage" composer wannabe Saul and the highly suspicious, cretin of a man, Sean. Glad to see both of these members are long gone at this point.
Of course, everywhere on the internet has trolls, but this place is relatively unspoiled in that regard.

I think we had Saul over on TC. Aside from his really tacky original music, I remember he posted a lot of pro-Israel propaganda. Does that sound like the same guy?

BWV 1080

And Saul 'Mendelsohn is the only kosher composer except for me' whatshisname

has weirdears (chris was his name if I recall) ever resurfaced?

Brahmsian

My journey into the world of classical music discussion forums began around 2005/2006 on a small forum linked to the Hartford classical music radio station called "Beethoven Radio", the site was Beethoven.com.

This was very early in my interest in classical music.  The forum did not have a lot of members, but it was still a great learning experience for me.  Here, I met Navneeth (Opus106).  From here, I joined Talk Classical talk forum and stayed there until around late 2007, which is when I joined GMG along with a few other Talk Classical folks (Opus106, Keemun/Todd).  I joined GMG first as ChamberNut, then rejoined in 2011 with a new account as Brahmsian.  Then changed my name back to ChamberNut, and now OrchestralNut.  I've had several periods of high and low activity, recently returning to activity in December 2020.

DavidW

Quote from: Cato on April 12, 2021, 10:48:40 AM
One of my all-time favorites: PINK HARP with his obsessio mentalis about Debussy's Pelleas et Melisande!!!

Yes! 

I was also amused by how often Paul Best would change his minds about recordings over an afternoon or sometimes in the same post!

Brahmsian

Yes, some of the famous (infamous) characters of GMG over the years:

Rob Newman
Rod Corkin
Pink Harp (Unrepentant Pelleastrian) - which I always seemed to misread as Unrepentant Palestinian  :D
Saul
Sean
Teresa
*James

*James - I wonder if he is still around, in some form or another?  I remember the James bingo card, which was quite humourous.

Brahmsian

Corkin I think was the major Handel fan, who claimed Handel was the greatest composer ever, while Bach was a second or third rate hack.  :P

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Crudblud on April 12, 2021, 11:01:16 AM
Of course, everywhere on the internet has trolls, but this place is relatively unspoiled in that regard.

I think we had Saul over on TC. Aside from his really tacky original music, I remember he posted a lot of pro-Israel propaganda. Does that sound like the same guy?

Without question. And let's not forget the "white horses on black velvet running on the beach in the moonlight" paintings, fine art, dammit, fine art!  ::) 

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)