GMG --- Friends, Inc.

Started by Florestan, April 10, 2021, 08:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 14, 2021, 07:18:33 AM
So, your professional musician theory probably is more likely. That said, I've dealt with many of them, too, with no problem. So maybe he was just uniquely M? 😳

🤠😎

Well, I believe he wasn't a very successful musician, as far as I know, always playing temp jobs on the fly. And I think he was doing equipment or studio jobs at the time of his posting here, in 'Merica, of all places!. So maybe there was a little bit of unhappiness there.

I'm also fairly sure these music groups attract a fairly reliable number of cranks and not entirely well-adapted members of society, frankly I'm ready to count myself in either of those groups (but not both at the same time, please!), who need to act out a form of superiority here they're lacking IRL.

Mirror Image

It seems by the sound of it that even I could be considered one of the GMG trolls. :P We all have our eccentricities of course, but also, there are some people who are just plain...bizarre.

DaveF

Quote from: BWV 1080 on April 12, 2021, 12:13:22 PM
Although if anyone is feeling nostalgic, I bet you could locate Sean on a sex offender registry somewhere

I remember that one (of many) of Sean's peculiarities was that he held it to be literally, physically impossible for modern listeners to understand music written pre-1700 because it was "modal" rather than "tonal".  Apparently back then they had an extra awareness, rather like beings that inhabit 4-dimensional space, of the differences between the Mixolydian, Dorian, Phrygian etc. which we have completely lost.  For us to listen to early music was therefore rather like a blind person visiting a picture gallery.  I once forced John Browne's Stabat mater upon him, which he gave his usual thorough attention (he listened to everything 5 times before expressing an opinion) before grudgingly conceding that it exhibited "proto-tonal tendencies".
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Spotted Horses

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 14, 2021, 05:19:38 AM
Agreed. He came to work in Boston at one point, and we got together for a cup of tea near my office.

I seem to remember that he subsequently made some cutting remarks regarding your success as a composer, which seemed particularly offensive because of your prior hospitality. Of course, memory is often inaccurate and is impossible to confirm. Conversations are extremely difficult to reconstruct from these discussion board, which don't allow you to access see things as they unfolded chronologically across threads, and because offensive posts are often deleted.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Daverz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 14, 2021, 05:19:38 AM
Agreed. He came to work in Boston at one point, and we got together for a cup of tea near my office.

Michael and I actually lived in the same town in California when he was out here.  He also came to the West Coast Brucknerthon at least once.  I think he may have been a bit hurt that I never hung out with him, though that had more to do with my living situation at the time and my being rather anti-social.

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 14, 2021, 11:38:36 AM
It seems by the sound of it that even I could be considered one of the GMG trolls. :P We all have our eccentricities of course, but also, there are some people who are just plain...bizarre.
But we love your version of bizarreness.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

foxandpeng

Quote from: DaveF on April 14, 2021, 12:00:09 PM
I remember that one (of many) of Sean's peculiarities was that he held it to be literally, physically impossible for modern listeners to understand music written pre-1700 because it was "modal" rather than "tonal".  Apparently back then they had an extra awareness, rather like beings that inhabit 4-dimensional space, of the differences between the Mixolydian, Dorian, Phrygian etc. which we have completely lost.  For us to listen to early music was therefore rather like a blind person visiting a picture gallery.  I once forced John Browne's Stabat mater upon him, which he gave his usual thorough attention (he listened to everything 5 times before expressing an opinion) before grudgingly conceding that it exhibited "proto-tonal tendencies".

This thread was the one that prompted me to re-register again properly, and to say hello after such a long time. I really appreciate the way you all view the forum. I'm also registered on other fora, but I visit here far more frequently than other places. I confess that one of my dim and distant conversations with Sean led me to stop contributing, but I was less resilient then, due to a tough patch. I still probably won't add much, but I do enjoy learning here.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Cato

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 29, 2021, 03:20:30 AM
This thread was the one that prompted me to re-register again properly, and to say hello after such a long time. I really appreciate the way you all view the forum. I'm also registered on other fora, but I visit here far more frequently than other places. I confess that one of my dim and distant conversations with Sean led me to stop contributing, but I was less resilient then, due to a tough patch. I still probably won't add much, but I do enjoy learning here.

Ouch!  However, it is very nice that you have returned!!

Quote from: DaveF on April 14, 2021, 12:00:09 PM

Sean exhibited proto-no-no tendencies, and I don't mean Luigi!   ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 29, 2021, 03:20:30 AM

The poster formerly known as Pencils..

Pencils rings a bell.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: philoctetes on May 01, 2021, 09:06:08 AM
Returning to the topic at hand, it is thanks to this forum that I was able to meet two righteous dudes (Corey and Nigel), sadly (or not) who are no longer part of this forum, but I am very glad to have met both of them, even if I knew them only for a short time. They also (wittingly or unwittingly) allowed me to understand a part of myself that was either previously unknown to me (or denied by me, but I suspect it is probably more the former than the latter).

:)

Thanks for sharing.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Iota

To 71 dB -

Fwiw, I think bloody-minded persistence in the face of widespread opposition can be an admirable virtue at times, though I'm not sure a politics thread on a music forum is necessarily one of those times. But I think you're an honest person without guile, which to me are very valuable qualities, and in certain things you talk with great authority and clarity, hi fi/audio being one example, where there's nobody's opinion I'd respect more.

Quote from: philoctetes on May 01, 2021, 09:06:08 AM
Returning to the topic at hand, it is thanks to this forum that I was able to meet two righteous dudes (Corey and Nigel), sadly (or not) who are no longer part of this forum, but I am very glad to have met both of them, even if I knew them only for a short time. They also (wittingly or unwittingly) allowed me to understand a part of myself that was either previously unknown to me (or denied by me, but I suspect it is probably more the former than the latter).

:)

That's a heartening story, nice to hear.  :)

71 dB

Quote from: Iota on May 01, 2021, 10:57:30 AM
To 71 dB -

Fwiw, I think bloody-minded persistence in the face of widespread opposition can be an admirable virtue at times, though I'm not sure a politics thread on a music forum is necessarily one of those times. But I think you're an honest person without guile, which to me are very valuable qualities, and in certain things you talk with great authority and clarity, hi fi/audio being one example, where there's nobody's opinion I'd respect more.

These are kind and thoughtful words! Thank you Iota! Much appreciated!  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"