Rachmaninoff Orchestral & Favorite Symphony Cycles

Started by Fritz Kobus, April 11, 2021, 02:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: MusicTurner on April 12, 2021, 08:54:26 PM
Sanderling/Philharmonia on the Apex series uses almost 27 minutes for the 1st movement of the 2nd Symphony, most recordings up to 10 minutes less. Gergiev/LSO close to 23 minutes.

I don't know the Sanderling recording but that will (almost certainly) be because he takes the exposition repeat which a lot of conductors don't.  Rach 2 is just about the last big symphony to be written with this kind of optional repeat.  Personally, if the composer wrote it, I think you should observe it.

On a tangent - fairly recently I was surprised and impressed by this Rach 3;

available in various incarnations but very exciting and Mackerras getting the RLPO strings to use portamenti (slides between notes) to gloriously Romantic effect......

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 12, 2021, 11:30:12 PM
I don't know the Sanderling recording but that will (almost certainly) be because he takes the exposition repeat which a lot of conductors don't.  Rach 2 is just about the last big symphony to be written with this kind of optional repeat.  Personally, if the composer wrote it, I think you should observe it.

On a tangent - fairly recently I was surprised and impressed by this Rach 3;

available in various incarnations but very exciting and Mackerras getting the RLPO strings to use portamenti (slides between notes) to gloriously Romantic effect......
Very much agree about Mackerras - who was a fine conductor.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DavidW

This thread inspired me to listen to the Gergiev cycle, I'm not done yet with it but some of his tempo choices are not my favorite.  Too slow or too fast, never just right.  I then listened to the Litton 2nd on BIS.  Good, and I like it better than Gergiev, but not great.

My favorite second is Previn, and my favorite third is Stokowski.  I don't have a favorite first but I really like the symphony.

Daverz

Quote from: DavidW on April 13, 2021, 06:12:34 AM
This thread inspired me to listen to the Gergiev cycle, I'm not done yet with it but some of his tempo choices are not my favorite.  Too slow or too fast, never just right.  I then listened to the Litton 2nd on BIS.  Good, and I like it better than Gergiev, but not great.

My favorite second is Previn, .

Previn recorded it 3 times (RCA (with cuts), EMI and Telarc).

Brian

Quote from: Daverz on April 13, 2021, 04:01:20 PM
Previn Telarc is the one I grew up with, but Previn EMI is my favorite now for being just as rich and a tiny bit faster. The cut versions are unacceptable to me.

DavidW

Quote from: Daverz on April 13, 2021, 04:01:20 PM

Didn't know that.  EMI is the only one I listen to.