New here. Not new to classical music

Started by Fritz Kobus, April 11, 2021, 10:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fritz Kobus

My username is from a favorite opera, Mascagni's L'amico Fritz.

I love opera.  For non-opera classical I am mostly oriented to symphonic works  with favorites in Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Rachmaninoff, Mahler, Saint-Saens.  I do like some piano, but for now mostly Rachmaninoff's concertos.

Favorite operas:

Bellini: La Sonnambula
Flotow: Martha
Mascagni: L'amico Fritz
Beethoven: Fidelio
Wagner: Hollander, Ring, and others
Donizetti: the three Queens, Daughter of the Regiment, Don Pasquale, Elixir of Love.
Rachmaninoff:  Miserly Knight
Puccini: Tosca,  La fanciulla del West
Verdi:  La Traviata
Poulenc: Dialogues of the Carmelites
Mussorgsky: Boris Godunov
Tchakiovsky:  Eugene Onegin
Weber: Der Freischutz
Lehar:  Land des Lachelns

Papy Oli

Olivier

Brahmsian

Welcome aboard to GMG! Always great to see new members.  :)

Lots of opera and symphonic fans here!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Good to see another opera lover on board !

Fritz Kobus

Thanks all. 

I have 25 commercial recordings of La Sonnambula. I could not find any more or would have bought them. 

I also love Handel's Messiah and Beethoven's Missa Solemnis.

david johnson

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Fritz Kobus on April 11, 2021, 10:51:44 AM

I love opera.  For non-opera classical I am mostly oriented to symphonic works  with favorites in Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Rachmaninoff, Mahler, Saint-Saens.  I do like some piano, but for now mostly Rachmaninoff's concertos.

Favorite operas:

Donizetti: the three Queens, Daughter of the Regiment, Don Pasquale, Elixir of Love.

I've never heard the Poulenc.  A close friend of mine's favourite composer was Poulenc, but I respect rather than love his music.  My loss I'm sure - what is it about "Dialogues" that I should try and get into?

The new erato

Hello and welcome The Poulenc is heartwrenching and need a dose of Lehar after listening. Nice to see Lehar mentioned.

aligreto

Welcome aboard and enjoy your time here. You will find the company of a few like minded souls here.  :)

ritter

Welcome aboard, Fritz! Hope you enjoy it here...

"Ah, le belle ciliegie!:)

Pohjolas Daughter

Favorite operas:

Welcome Fritz!

And, wow!  25 recordings of La Sonnambula! Neat!  Looking forward to hearing about your favorites in the opera thread.  8)

PD

André

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 11, 2021, 11:37:33 PM
I've never heard the Poulenc.  A close friend of mine's favourite composer was Poulenc, but I respect rather than love his music.  My loss I'm sure - what is it about "Dialogues" that I should try and get into?

There's no specific scene or moment in Dialogues that would be a 'point of entry' into the whole work. As it goes on it becomes ever more gripping and downright bone-chilling. A great, great work.

Que

MusicTurner

Quote from: André on April 12, 2021, 07:21:21 AM
There's no specific scene or moment in Dialogues that would be a 'point of entry' into the whole work. As it goes on it becomes ever more gripping and downright bone-chilling. A great, great work.

The Nagano recording made me appreciate it as a sort of coherent, symphonic structure, with great sound; the Dervaux is perhaps somewhat different, IMHO.

Fritz Kobus

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 11, 2021, 11:37:33 PM

I find the story fascinating, so much so that I bought a well-researched book on the true story of the Carmelite nuns.  The climax is the finale where the nuns get their heads chopped off and you hear the slicing noise of the guillotine as they go one-by-one and, each time one goes, there is one less voice, until the very end a single voice, then chop!

Mirror Image

Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy your time here.

vandermolen

Favorite operas:

Welcome here. I'm not generally an opera lover but Boris Godunov is one of my favourites.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: André on April 12, 2021, 07:21:21 AM

thankyou for that.  Clearly I must investigate!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 14, 2021, 11:17:22 PM
thankyou for that.  Clearly I must investigate!

Not that I'm easily swayed or need an excuse to buy CD's...... BUT..... just pulled the trigger on.....

thankyou to all for the collective enthusiasm!