New here. Not new to classical music

Started by Fritz Kobus, April 11, 2021, 10:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fritz Kobus

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2021, 10:50:56 PM
Welcome here. I'm not generally an opera lover but Boris Godunov is one of my favourites.

Then there is the whole discussion of 1869 version vs 1872 version, and Mussorgsky orchestration vs Rimsky and others.  I prefer the 1869 which I think has only ever been recorded in Mussorgsky's orchestration and only has two recordings I am aware of, Gergiev and recently Nagano.  Of the 1872 I do like the Polish scenes and often fold them into the middle of my 1869 set.  Additionally, if you want a sequel to Boris Godunov, then get a copy of Dvorak's Dimitrij.

Fritz Kobus

Two operas I forgot to mention in my list:

Smetana:  Bartered Bride

Strauss:  Die Frau Ohne Schatten

Mirror Image

Quote from: Fritz Kobus on April 15, 2021, 08:53:52 PM
Two operas I forgot to mention in my list:

Strauss:  Die Frau Ohne Schatten

Sweet! How do you feel about other well-known ones like Der Rosenkavalier, Elektra and Salome?

Fritz Kobus

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 16, 2021, 06:27:24 AM
Sweet! How do you feel about other well-known ones like Der Rosenkavalier, Elektra and Salome?

The stories behind those three have not interested me.  I might have seen the Rosenkavalier back in the early 1980s when I attended a number of operas before they had surtitles.  Back then, I reasoned it was more interesting to have music, acting, and a story than just go to an orchestral work. But after that I kind of fell out of most music for a long time until I got back into classical about 2011 and then my Beethoven obsession led me back into opera with FIdelio.  I thought I should get a DVD of Fidelio and that lit a fire that I now must have at least a hundred opera DVDs.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Fritz Kobus on April 16, 2021, 08:48:16 PM
The stories behind those three have not interested me.  I might have seen the Rosenkavalier back in the early 1980s when I attended a number of operas before they had surtitles.  Back then, I reasoned it was more interesting to have music, acting, and a story than just go to an orchestral work. But after that I kind of fell out of most music for a long time until I got back into classical about 2011 and then my Beethoven obsession led me back into opera with FIdelio.  I thought I should get a DVD of Fidelio and that lit a fire that I now must have at least a hundred opera DVDs.

I'm not an opera fan in general, but there are a few that have meant a lot to me. In opera, I could careless about what's actually being sung, but I do find it useful to read a synopsis that way I get a better understanding of the underlying narrative behind the work. Anyway, I'm more into ballets, concerti, melodies/lieder/songs, chamber music and solo piano.