Your Favorite Marco Polo discs

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, April 13, 2021, 04:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Any Marco Polo recordings you like or evaluate highly? Info on many, as well as single, discs are welcome.
My fav are below.

Roasted Swan

Easy!  Has to be:

Not because it is the best (although I still think parts of the choral work are better than any other versions) but because it was the first properly available commercial version.  After all those years of being told ablout the "fabled Gothic Symphony" you could hear it for yourself - marvellous!

Maestro267

I've got a few of the Brian symphonies in their Marco Polo issues. They're pretty good. I quite like their series on Irish composers.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 13, 2021, 04:48:48 AM
Easy!  Has to be:

Not because it is the best (although I still think parts of the choral work are better than any other versions) but because it was the first properly available commercial version.  After all those years of being told ablout the "fabled Gothic Symphony" you could hear it for yourself - marvellous!

I second this. The climax of the Vivace movement is the best too. I also love the Brian disc with 32, his last symphony.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 13, 2021, 04:48:48 AM
Easy!  Has to be:

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 13, 2021, 07:46:41 AM
I second this. The climax of the Vivace movement is the best too. I also love the Brian disc with 32, his last symphony.

Sarge

I didn't know about the Gothic Symphony, or no. 32, from Marco Polo. Definitely I will check them out. Thanks a lot for the info!

J

Off the top of my head the Braga Santos & Lyatoshinsky Symphony cycles would come first.

I'd add MP's Tournemire & Malipiero Symphony recordings as well if they were played better.

Also like the 4 Sauguet Symphonies.

Don't know the music nearly as well, but the Lajtha & Moyzes Symphonies would get my vote as worthwhile projects too.

Brian

Unusual to recommend a core rep piece, but the Romanian Radio & TV Orchestra delivers my favorite rendition of the Enescu Romanian Rhapsodies. Halfway through #1 listen out for the way the solo flutes are clearly spaced to the left and right to really play up the "duel" effect.

Mirror Image

These two Marco Polo recordings that are indispensable for me:

What makes this recording so important for me is that this is the ONLY recording I know of which contains Gênesis, which is described as being both a symphonic poem and ballet, but who really cares as it is absolutely magnificent and Duarte and his Slovak forces completely sound unhinged in this performance. Hell, just talking about it right now makes me want to drop everything and go listen to it. Also, the other works are just as inspired, endlessly fascinating and spirited. If you're a Villa-Lobos fan and you do not own this recording, then buy it NOW!

Again, like the recording above, this other V-L Duarte recording contains a work that you cannot find anywhere else: Rudá, "Dio d'amore". Again, like Gênesis, but also Erosão, it is a symphonic poem/ballet. This recording also contains a fine performance of Symphony No. 6, which was probably the first-time I ever heard this symphony. Another winner from Duarte and his Slovak forces.

vandermolen

Quote from: J on April 13, 2021, 05:05:17 PM
Off the top of my head the Braga Santos & Lyatoshinsky Symphony cycles would come first.

I'd add MP's Tournemire & Malipiero Symphony recordings as well if they were played better.

Don't know the music nearly as well, but the Lajtha & Moyzes Symphonies would get my vote as worthwhile projects too.
Very much agree (nice thread by the way)

Sauguet: Symphony 1 'Expiatoire'

Brian: 'Gothic Symphony' for reasons mentioned by Roasted Swan (+ Symphony 17/'In Memoriam' as suggested by Sarge)

Miaskovsky: Symphony 6 (first commercial CD version in an underrated performance) + Symphony 12/Silence (Symphonic Poem after Poe)

Moyzes: Symphony 7

Lyatoshinsky symphonies

Kinsella: Symphony 3 and 4

Truscott: Symphony/Elegy

Holbrooke: Chamber music

Meulemans: 'Pliny's Fountain' etc

Braga Santos: symphonies 1 - 4

Avshalomoff: Symphony No.1

Arthur Benjamin: Symphony

Malipiero: symphonies 3 and 4

Tournemire: Symphony 3 'Moscow'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 13, 2021, 07:03:44 PM

What makes this recording so important for me is that this is the ONLY recording I know of which contains Gênesis, which is described as being both a symphonic poem and ballet, but who really cares as it is absolutely magnificent and Duarte and his Slovak forces completely sound unhinged in this performance. Hell, just talking about it right now makes me want to drop everything and go listen to it. Also, the other works are just as inspired, endlessly fascinating and spirited. If you're a Villa-Lobos fan and you do not own this recording, then buy it NOW!

Well, I wish it was so easy. This disc is OOP. Amazon.de asks 38.69 € + shipping, but they aslo say:

Your selected delivery location is beyond seller's delivery coverage for this item. Please choose a different delivery location or purchase from another seller.
So, no I won't buy this. I simply can't!

Of course Naxos is not interested of re-releasing this.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Roasted Swan

Quote from: J on April 13, 2021, 05:05:17 PM

How could I forget Braga Santos! +++1  Great music but also well played and recorded which - as you say re Tournemire - is not always a given with Marco Polo

Brian

Quote from: 71 dB on April 14, 2021, 04:54:47 AM

Of course Naxos is not interested of re-releasing this.
Never say never, Naxos is bringing out about 10 Marco Polo reissues per year now. This month it is an Adolphe Adam ballet, next month Marcel Poot, recently it was symphonies by Lajtha, Moyzes, and Lyatoshinsky. You may also find download copies.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on April 13, 2021, 09:54:58 PM
Very much agree (nice thread by the way)

Sauguet: Symphony 1 'Expiatoire'

Brian: 'Gothic Symphony' for reasons mentioned by Roasted Swan (+ Symphony 17/'In Memoriam' as suggested by Sarge)

Miaskovsky: Symphony 6 (first commercial CD version in an underrated performance) + Symphony 12/Silence (Symphonic Poem after Poe)

Moyzes: Symphony 7

Lyatoshinsky symphonies

Kinsella: Symphony 3 and 4

Truscott: Symphony/Elegy

Holbrooke: Chamber music

Meulemans: 'Pliny's Fountain' etc

Braga Santos: symphonies 1 - 4

Avshalomoff: Symphony No.1

Arthur Benjamin: Symphony

Malipiero: symphonies 3 and 4

Tournemire: Symphony 3 'Moscow'

Thank you, Jeffrey.
I like the Malipiero and Moyzes recordings too. You mentioned the Sauguet recording last year and I liked it as well. The cover art of Miaskovsky discs are awesome. I will get the discs as well as the Avshalomoff and Kinsella recordings.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 13, 2021, 07:03:44 PM

Again, like the recording above, this other V-L Duarte recording contains a work that you cannot find anywhere else: Rudá, "Dio d'amore". Again, like Gênesis, but also Erosão, it is a symphonic poem/ballet. This recording also contains a fine performance of Symphony No. 6, which was probably the first-time I ever heard this symphony. Another winner from Duarte and his Slovak forces.

Sounds very interesting. Nice review and very good writing, John. I will check out the recordings.

vandermolen

My pleasure DBK and thank you for starting this interesting thread.
2 more:
Godfried Devreese : Symphony 1 'Gothic' and 'In Memoriam'
Fanelli: 'The Romance of the Mummy'
Also, Bloch's fine Symphony in C was a great Marco Polo discovery but there are now several other recordings.
There was also the excellent film music series - highlights (for me) being the ones featuring Vaughan Williams's film scores (I still think that this is the best single disc of VW's film music), Auric's magical score for 'Beauty and the Beast', Waxman's 'Rebecca', Sainton's 'Moby Dick', Honegger's 'L'Idee' and Herrmann's 'Jane Eyre', fortunately these are now on Naxos.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

One more - how could I forget Hilding Rosenberg's beautiful 'Holy Night' a Christmas Oratorio for Narrator, soloists, chorus and orchestra?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 14, 2021, 05:34:44 AM
Sounds very interesting. Nice review and very good writing, John. I will check out the recordings.

Thanks, Dry Brett. Do check these out. I'll be curious to know how you get along with the music.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2021, 05:44:22 AM
My pleasure DBK and thank you for starting this interesting thread.
2 more:
Godfried Devreese : Symphony 1 'Gothic' and 'In Memoriam'
Fanelli: 'The Romance of the Mummy'
Also, Bloch's fine Symphony in C was a great Marco Polo discovery but there are now several other recordings.
There was also the excellent film music series - highlights (for me) being the ones featuring Vaughan Williams's film scores (I still think that this is the best single disc of VW's film music), Auric's magical score for 'Beauty and the Beast', Waxman's 'Rebecca', Sainton's 'Moby Dick', Honegger's 'L'Idee' and Herrmann's 'Jane Eyre', fortunately these are now on Naxos.

Yes, I love the Devreese disc in question as well as the other one below.
I haven't heard of Fanelli or Rosenberg. Glad you mentioned them. I will look for the recordings as well as the discs of film music you suggested. They all look interesting and I am excited to listen to them. Thanks a lot, Jeffrey.

71 dB

Quote from: Brian on April 14, 2021, 05:16:52 AM
Never say never, Naxos is bringing out about 10 Marco Polo reissues per year now. This month it is an Adolphe Adam ballet, next month Marcel Poot, recently it was symphonies by Lajtha, Moyzes, and Lyatoshinsky. You may also find download copies.

So if this re-release is #100 on the list of re-releases it will take only 10 years.  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2021, 06:29:13 AM
One more - how could I forget Hilding Rosenberg's beautiful 'Holy Night' a Christmas Oratorio for Narrator, soloists, chorus and orchestra?

How could Jeffrey forget this one.....!

In fact I like a lot of the Marco Polo film music series.  Some really interesting reconstructions by John Morgan and co.  Also the Honegger/Ibert/Herrmann score interesting too