Your Favorite Marco Polo discs

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, April 13, 2021, 04:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I keep thinking of other ones. The Boydell was a great discovery:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Cato

Now available on NAXOS as of last month!

Nikolai Tcherepnin's
ballet:

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 13, 2021, 07:03:44 PM
These two Marco Polo recordings that are indispensable for me:

What makes this recording so important for me is that this is the ONLY recording I know of which contains Gênesis, which is described as being both a symphonic poem and ballet, but who really cares as it is absolutely magnificent and Duarte and his Slovak forces completely sound unhinged in this performance. Hell, just talking about it right now makes me want to drop everything and go listen to it. Also, the other works are just as inspired, endlessly fascinating and spirited. If you're a Villa-Lobos fan and you do not own this recording, then buy it NOW!

Again, like the recording above, this other V-L Duarte recording contains a work that you cannot find anywhere else: Rudá, "Dio d'amore". Again, like Gênesis, but also Erosão, it is a symphonic poem/ballet. This recording also contains a fine performance of Symphony No. 6, which was probably the first-time I ever heard this symphony. Another winner from Duarte and his Slovak forces.

John, thank you for the informative review on these fascinating recordings. I listened to them via streaming, and I found the music lively and penetrating. The recordings present energetic and transcendental music. The music is a juxtaposition of earthiness and sophistication. It is luminous and dark at the same time.  These works in the two discs are very attractive while they maintain some mystery. I will check out other recordings of Villa-Lobos as well. Thank you for the recommendation.

J

In case anyone's wondering who doesn't already know, the cover artist for those two Villa-Lobos CD's is Frenchman Henri Rousseau, - one of my favorites.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 15, 2021, 05:41:03 PM
John, thank you for the informative review on these fascinating recordings. I listened to them via streaming, and I found the music lively and penetrating. The recordings present energetic and transcendental music. The music is a juxtaposition of earthiness and sophistication. It is luminous and dark at the same time.  These works in the two discs are very attractive while they maintain some mystery. I will check out other recordings of Villa-Lobos as well. Thank you for the recommendation.

Excellent! I'm glad you enjoyed them, Dry Brett. 8) Villa-Lobos has remained one of my favorites and a lot of it is because each time I revisit his music, it sounds like the first-time I've heard it. There's always something new discover even if you've heard the same work 20 times already. Yes, do continue to explore his music! Our departed GMG member snyprrr once described Villa-Lobos as 'everything-but-the-kitchen sink jungle music' and I think in certain works, this is what it can sound like, but V-L always mixed things up and listening to his music is like going on an aural journey.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Cato on April 15, 2021, 04:01:34 PM
Now available on NAXOS as of last month!

Nikolai Tcherepnin's
ballet:

Nice disc!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: J on April 16, 2021, 07:42:13 AM
In case anyone's wondering who doesn't already know, the cover artist for those two Villa-Lobos CD's is Frenchman Henri Rousseau, - one of my favorites.

I was wondering about that. They are great, great art.

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 16, 2021, 07:48:49 AM
each time I revisit his music, it sounds like the first-time I've heard it. There's always something new discover even if you've heard the same work 20 times already.

I can definitely see that!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 14, 2021, 12:17:36 PM
How could Jeffrey forget this one.....!

In fact I like a lot of the Marco Polo film music series.  Some really interesting reconstructions by John Morgan and co.  Also the Honegger/Ibert/Herrmann score interesting too

Thank you, Roasted Swan and Jeffrey, for the interesting info on various film music.
I listened to the most of the recordings gents mentioned via streaming. While they all sounded unique and wonderful, I mostly enjoyed the recordings of Moby Dick, King's Thief etc., Jane Eyre, and Honegger.  The discs of Moby Dick and King's Thief et al. present very colorful and vivacious music. Especially the Moby Dick is very dramatic and exciting, and the music swings and rocks. The Jane Eyre and Honegger don't have the colorfulness of the Moby Dick and King's Thief etc., but I found the compositions very strong.
          In addition, the music of Ibert, Auric (atmospheric), Waxman, Copperfield/Roots of Heaven, Frankel (I love the art of Werewolf and the moon!), and Robin Hood (colorful) sound very attractive to me. They all are memorable and likable with strong themes and motifs. Plus, in the searching process, I incidentally found Arthur Bliss' Columbus Suite, which sounded excellent as well. As of now I prefer the four discs I mentioned, but it may change after a repeated listen, which is most likely to follow. 
          Also, I like the Sainton (Nadir and The Island), Kinsella and Boydell.  They are unique and powerful music. RS, Jeffrey, and all other posters, thank you for your informative and surprising posts.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 18, 2021, 02:45:13 PM

Thank you, Roasted Swan and Jeffrey, for the interesting info on various film music.
I listened to the most of the recordings gents mentioned via streaming. While they all sounded unique and wonderful, I mostly enjoyed the recordings of Moby Dick, King's Thief etc., Jane Eyre, and Honegger.  The discs of Moby Dick and King's Thief et al. present very colorful and vivacious music. Especially the Moby Dick is very dramatic and exciting, and the music swings and rocks. The Jane Eyre and Honegger don't have the colorfulness of the Moby Dick and King's Thief etc., but I found the compositions very strong.
          In addition, the music of Ibert, Auric (atmospheric), Waxman, Copperfield/Roots of Heaven, Frankel (I love the art of Werewolf and the moon!), and Robin Hood (colorful) sound very attractive to me. They all are memorable and likable with strong themes and motifs. Plus, in the searching process, I incidentally found Arthur Bliss' Columbus Suite, which sounded excellent as well. As of now I prefer the four discs I mentioned, but it may change after a repeated listen, which is most likely to follow. 
          Also, I like the Sainton (Nadir and The Island), Kinsella and Boydell.  They are unique and powerful music. RS, Jeffrey, and all other posters, thank you for your informative and surprising posts.
Am delighted that you enjoyed them DBK. I agree that 'Moby Dick' is a very special recording. How could I forget about Bliss? I love the Christopher Columbus Suite. I prefer the Naxos release cover:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

One more to add to the Marco Polo/Film score series;

This is a very colourful pair of scores.  However, in this instance you MUST hear the Naxos re-release NOT the Marco Polo original.  Here's an excerpt from a review;

In the late 80's and 90's Marco Polo had a preference for recording direct to stereo masters in the studio.  There was a significant financial benefit to this process but of course did mean that there was no possibility in post-production of adjusting any balances.  According to Adriano, he had a strained working relationship with the producer of the Stalingrad sessions (recorded some three years earlier the Othello) - Martin Sauer.  Apparently Sauer was more interested in telling Adriano how to conduct than he was in monitoring the recording.  As a consequence of which, a crucial off-stage trumpet section at the beginning of To Victory [track 5] was all but inaudible in the only/final mix.  This had so infuriated Adriano that he had not sanctioned this disc's re-release.  The reason it has now been made available again is because Adriano - at his own expense - returned to Bratislava and re-recorded this section.  Remarkably, the same principal trumpeter is still in the post.  Curiously, the cover of the disc makes no mention at all of this audio restoration/resurrection.  Comparing the original and re-recorded versions it is clear that the new version is significantly better - with trumpets proudly prominent and excitingly brazen - equally impressive is the technical skill with which the two versions some twenty five years apart have been mixed together

Certainly a disc/score worth adding to the list........

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 23, 2021, 11:52:51 PM

This is a very colourful pair of scores.  However, in this instance you MUST hear the Naxos re-release NOT the Marco Polo original.  Here's an excerpt from a review;

In the late 80's and 90's Marco Polo had a preference for recording direct to stereo masters in the studio.  There was a significant financial benefit to this process but of course did mean that there was no possibility in post-production of adjusting any balances.  According to Adriano, he had a strained working relationship with the producer of the Stalingrad sessions (recorded some three years earlier the Othello) - Martin Sauer.  Apparently Sauer was more interested in telling Adriano how to conduct than he was in monitoring the recording.  As a consequence of which, a crucial off-stage trumpet section at the beginning of To Victory [track 5] was all but inaudible in the only/final mix.  This had so infuriated Adriano that he had not sanctioned this disc's re-release.  The reason it has now been made available again is because Adriano - at his own expense - returned to Bratislava and re-recorded this section.  Remarkably, the same principal trumpeter is still in the post.  Curiously, the cover of the disc makes no mention at all of this audio restoration/resurrection.  Comparing the original and re-recorded versions it is clear that the new version is significantly better - with trumpets proudly prominent and excitingly brazen - equally impressive is the technical skill with which the two versions some twenty five years apart have been mixed together

How could I forget the disc? I have the Naxos disc and love the music. Interesting about the overdub of trumpet section. I am glad Adriano did that. I assume other Naxos reissues of Marco Polo recordings sound exactly same without remastering. Btw, the ASV disc of Khachaturian film music is pretty good too.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I just found the catalogue of MP film music:

https://www.naxos.com/labels/marco_polo-list-film_music_classics.htm

Discs of Honegger, Hermann, Deutsch, Auric, and others look very interesting.

Also, the description of MP label by Naxos is below. I know you gents already know this, but I should have posted it on the 1st post.

Marco Polo
When the label was launched in 1982 it was the first label devoted to world premiere recordings mostly of repertoire from the second half of the 19th and the early part of the 20th century.
The recordings covered unknown works by well-known composers and the most important works of little-known or forgotten composers. Light classical music was also represented extensively. Landmark projects included the complete orchestral works of Johann Strauss II [on 52 CDs] and Josef Strauss [on 27 CDs], a wide range of British Light Music, and series devoted to Suppe, Waldteufel and others.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 23, 2021, 11:52:51 PM

That's most interesting RS. I have the Marco Polo, which didn't make a huge impression on me, but I will be tracking down the Naxos in due course. Thanks for the info.

vandermolen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I will order the King Kong. Hope I won't pick a mirror up instead of the cd in my house.
I've been enjoying the recordings below this week.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 02, 2021, 11:25:12 AM
I will order the King Kong. Hope I won't pick a mirror up instead of the cd in my house.
I've been enjoying the recordings below this week.
I don't know the Friedhofer but like the Auric and Honegger very much.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on May 05, 2021, 02:25:27 AM
I don't know the Friedhofer but like the Auric and Honegger very much.

I find the Friedhofer's music (and the arrangement/orchestration) solid and very attractive  :) :).

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_liilQGt71Kprr0cBP5N3jU2A4QWDmAQto

It appears that the famous fanfare theme for the Fox studio/movies was composed by him.

vandermolen

Have been enjoying this CD this morning. Amazing there are three CDs of Benjamin's marvellous (IMO) Symphony (his only one) from Lyndon-Gee with the Queensland SO, Wordsworth on Lyrita and one from Barbirolli as well. Of course I have them all ( ::)). The Lyrita is considered the best but I'm pleased to have the Lyndon-Gee and Barbirolli as well. The Marco Polo release is also mandatory for the moving 'Ballade for String Orchestra' which is otherwise unavailable (it has my favourite cover image as well). The Symphony is dedicated to Vaughan Williams (Benjamin's teacher) and, at times reminds me of works like the contemporaneous 6th Symphony and even the opera 'Riders to the Sea'.
I was just about to start a thread 'In Praise of Marco Polo' but fortunately had the good sense to check if one already existed. I see that there is this most interesting one started by Manabu (DBK) which I had made numerous contributions to!  ::) ;D

PS I see that this is one of those Marco Polo releases that never reappeared on Naxos, others include Stakovsky's fine recording of Miaskovsky's 6th Symphony, Truscott's Symphony and Fanelli's 'Romance of the Mummy' etc.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Jeffrey, thank you for reviving this thread! I will check the Benjamin disc.
I would like to present some other MP discs I like. I don't have the sampler disc, but I thought it looked nice.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 30, 2022, 06:57:10 PM
Jeffrey, thank you for reviving this thread! I will check the Benjamin disc.
I would like to present some other MP discs I like. I don't have the sampler disc, but I thought it looked nice.

Manabu - I have the fine Gliere CD, the S. African one and two sampler CDs which alerted me to some other gems! I may have De Boeck and Ibert but I'm not sure. Try the Truscott Symphony if you don't already know it - that was a great discovery for me.  :) The 'Elegy' is very moving as well: