Christa Ludwig R.I.P.

Started by Tsaraslondon, April 25, 2021, 09:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsaraslondon

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Mirror Image

R.I.P. She had an absolutely stunning voice and she really got inside the music she sung like no other. A legend who turned in so many incredible performances. She lived a full life and she will not be forgotten.

Crudblud

A long life full of great music making. I will always treasure her recording of Mahler's Das Lied with Wunderlich and Klemperer.

Biffo

Quote from: Crudblud on April 25, 2021, 11:09:25 PM
A long life full of great music making. I will always treasure her recording of Mahler's Das Lied with Wunderlich and Klemperer.

I was going to post exactly the same.

R.I.P.

vandermolen

Sad news indeed.

Coincidentally I recently came across this interesting clip of her disagreeing with Leonard Bernstein at a Mahler rehearsal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f32bhICi-zI&t=1s
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brahmsian

Quote from: vandermolen on April 26, 2021, 04:37:30 AM
Sad news indeed.

Coincidentally I recently came across this interesting clip of her disagreeing with Leonard Bernstein at a Mahler rehearsal:

R.I.P. Frau Ludwig.  I also recently viewed this video clip.

vandermolen

I will play this later In Memoriam:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

I think as a memorial to Ludwig, I'll be listening to her recording of Mahler's Rückert-Lieder (w/ HvK/Berliners).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 26, 2021, 04:37:30 AM
Sad news indeed.

Ah yes, this was interesting --- it seems that basically she was saying that the tempo was too fast. Bernstein's comment that nobody can understand the words anyway was kind of humorous. :)

Florestan

A great singer. May God rest her in peace.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 26, 2021, 10:51:29 AM
Ah yes, this was interesting --- it seems that basically she was saying that the tempo was too fast. Bernstein's comment that nobody can understand the words anyway was kind of humorous. :)

Yes, I agree!

André

She had a beautiful voice, one of the most reliable and secure across the range. She seldom poured her heart and soul in her singing roles IMHO. Somewhat like Flagstad in a sense. But when she was on, no mezzo could rival her.

Maybe her most famous recording, one that to this day still tops the competition, is her impersonation of Judith in Bartok's Bluebeard's Castle. For me, the disc of hers that really displays her vocal and histrionic powers is this one:

Her assumption - for the studio only of course - of straussian and wagnerian roles such as Elektra, Ariadne and Brünnhilde is a stunning feat. She rips through this demanding music with real diva gusto. Excellent support from hubby Walter Berry and conductor Heinrich Hollreiser. Very good sound, too.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on April 26, 2021, 04:02:55 PMMaybe her most famous recording, one that to this day still tops the competition, is her impersonation of Judith in Bartok's Bluebeard's Castle.

I know this isn't the thread for voicing a dissenting opinion, but I couldn't disagree more. While I do acknowledge that Ludwig is an incredibly fine Judith, I don't think she's the only one who did a lot of the character. Tatiana Troyanos, Júlia Várady and Anne Sofie von Otter all offer different perspectives of the character and each is hugely successful in my book.

vandermolen

She presumably forgave Bernstein for the dispute over the tempo of 'Das Lied von der Erde' as they went on to make some fine recordings together - not least Bernstein's own 'Jeremiah Symphony'.
Here's a nice photo of them together:
https://www.operanews.com/Opera_News_Magazine/2021/4/News/Christa_Ludwig,_93,_Beloved_German_Mezzo_Whose_Five-Decade_Career_is_Unparalleled,_has_Died.html

Here is a nice clip of her singing an extract from Bernstein's 'Candide':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLnLYfCJbik

Roasted Swan

I've mentioned here before I worked in Italy for the Opera House in Parma back in the 80's.  The end of the 84-85 season involved 9 performances of Mahler 2 in 10 days(!).  It was recorded and released as;

Now I don't make any great claims for this as a recording or performance (apart from anything else we played in different venues with very different acoustics which you can hear in the recording!).  BUT having the extraordinary Christa Ludwig singing the Urlicht every night was truly one of my great/most cherished performing experiences.  Especially since the layout of the strings meant that I was sitting about 6 feet away from Ms Ludwig.  She just radiated benevolent calm authority even before she sang a note.  It was an honour to share a stage with her.....

ritter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 27, 2021, 02:26:37 AM
I've mentioned here before I worked in Italy for the Opera House in Parma back in the 80's.  The end of the 84-85 season involved 9 performances of Mahler 2 in 10 days(!).  It was recorded and released as;

Now I don't make any great claims for this as a recording or performance (apart from anything else we played in different venues with very different acoustics which you can hear in the recording!).  BUT having the extraordinary Christa Ludwig singing the Urlicht every night was truly one of my great/most cherished performing experiences.  Especially since the layout of the strings meant that I was sitting about 6 feet away from Ms Ludwig.  She just radiated benevolent calm authority even before she sang a note.  It was an honour to share a stage with her.....
Wonderful, RS! What a privilege. Must have been a great experience!

I do not know that particular recording (it looks great, not just because of the wonderful Ludwig, but also because I suppose Cecilia Gasdia will be lovely in the soprano part). I do have the Mahler 5 with the same forces (and from around the same time), which I got for the Giacomo Manzini piece--Dedica--that was used as a filler. Were you involved in those performances as well?

Regards,

Roasted Swan

Quote from: ritter on April 27, 2021, 04:02:19 AM
Wonderful, RS! What a privilege. Must have been a great experience!

I do not know that particular recording (it looks great, not just because of the wonderful Ludwig, but also because I suppose Cecilia Gasdia will be lovely in the soprano part). I do have the Mahler 5 with the same forces (and from around the same time), which I got for the Giacomo Manzini piece--Dedica--that was used as a filler. Were you involved in those performances as well?

Regards,

No I didn't do the Mahler 5 - I think that was a bit later?  The Mahler 2 concerts were the very end of the season and after that I moved back the UK.  Probably my biggest regret was not staying in Parma longer.  I was offered an extended contract but turned it down (idiot!)  Neuhold was/is a very good conductor - nothing flashy but a real and deep understanding of the music he conducted.

vandermolen

What a wonderful experience RS!

Spotted Horses

It's a Mahler recording so I assume the painting is by Klimpt.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

André

I like this short clip of a rehearsal sequence where Ludwig disagrees with Bernstein over his choice of tempo in DLVDE.
I know that a recording was made, but who got the last word ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f32bhICi-zI