Author Topic: Georg Philipp Telemann  (Read 37371 times)

MN Dave and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
Re: Georg Philipp Telemann
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2020, 02:57:28 AM »
No, it's been a while but you can get all the stuff Musica Antiqua Köln recorded with confidence, especially Tafelmusik and the disc with wind concerti. The latter includes Telemann is rarely dry, it's just not "deep" music but I think he is at least as good an instrumental composer as Vivaldi (who admittedly was more influential because he set the late baroque style for the solo concerto whereas Telemann (like Bach and Handel) drew from many sources and wrote in some fusion style containing "French", Italian and other elements). I have a fondness for Handel, but honestly I'd probably have to say that Telemann is a better or certainly more varied composer of chamber and orchestral music overall. Telemann lacks that piece everyone knows, the Hamburg water music or the picturesque suites like Don Quixote etc. never became as popular. Akademie für Alte Musik have some of these "theme suites" on harmonia mundi, they are also very good.
The Tafelmusik is a great and representative collection; the Brilliant recording with Belder is also pretty good and probably still cheap. For the chamber music there are the "Paris quartets" that have been recorded by the Kujiken's and similar ensembles.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2020, 06:10:54 AM »
Bump for Telemann...

I've been listening to the Wassermusik disc with Goebel & the Musica Antiqua Köln, and have come away with the impression that Telemann is nowhere near as dry and boring as he is sometimes remembered. That being said, he wrote so much music that I don't know what's worth checking out and what is not.

Anyone listening to Telemann lately?

Hi Vers la flamme - I've been a long time GPF fan and have added/culled/donated many of his recordings over the years - I prefer the instrumental works - now own about 50 discs (shown below from my recently updated Numbers database) - probably listen to the 'Table Music' and 'Paris Quartets' the most (and have 2 sets of each, again culled over the years and my current preferences, BUT many others exist as shown over the years in this thread) - Telemann was the most prolific composer of his era (and thus likely any musical time) so recordings can overlap when trying to put together a collection; SO, I've relied on his TWV Catalog and keep track of the composition numbers (in a Google doc) when I want to purchase a new recording.  Dave :)

P.S. also keep in mind that a number of BIG boxes have appeared which provides 'one stop shopping' but can be an 'iffy' mix - some have been shown here in previous posts.

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2020, 02:27:57 PM »
Thanks for the comments! I think Tafelmusik may be the answer to "where to from here", though there is much to choose from so I will have to do some sampling. I was listening to the Ricercar "Telemann: A Portrait" box and it sounds pretty great, so I may jump on it while it's cheap, but I'm also going to check out the Belder Tafelmusik.

@Sonicman/Dave, thanks much for the TWV Catalog; I've been looking for this.

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2020, 05:23:55 AM »
If you can find a copy of this for a good price (used to be dirt cheap, now may be OOP) it is a treasure.

It's all good...

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2020, 02:53:55 PM »
This mighty set has served me well since 1976.  Surfaces still sound great.

Your barricades lie broken ... your enemies lord.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2020, 10:08:04 PM »
I am not collecting, but I just love LPs. Reminds me of a time when classical recordings were serious business and solid treasures like a leather bound Encyclopedia.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Ras

« Reply #106 on: Today at 03:49:06 AM »
My favorite music by Telemann are his Orchestral Suites/Overtures. He was very prolific and probably wrote around 600 Overtures. I don't think all of them have been recorded. The closest I have come to a complete set are the three volumes with all in all 9 CDs from Brilliant Classics.

The Darmstadt Overtures from Naxos with Helmut Muller-Bruhl conducting is my favorite Telemann-CD.

If you can find them there are also great Telemann recordings of Overtures/Suites and concertos with Pinnock conducting on Archiv/DG.

Telemann also composed pleasant music for chamber forces - trio sonatas - flute/recorder sonatas etc.
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • Not so free thinker anymore
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #107 on: Today at 05:02:31 AM »
Despite of being a fan of German baroque I have very little Telemann's music. I have always found his music less interesting than that of other baroque composers, but then again I have heard only a ridiculously small portion of his gigantic output. On a Sony disc of German cantatas there is Telemann's cantata "Du aber Daniel, gehe hin" which I find very good. While many other German baroque composers from Telemann's generation such as Graupner, Fasch and Heinichen have been weakly recorded especially in the 20th century, Telemann seems to have been well represented alongside J. S. Bach and Handel which feel "force-feeding." Why always Telemann? Why not Schieferdecker for a change?

Telemann is imo a boring name and feels like a stove brand rather than a German baroque composer name.  :P

The Darmstadt Overtures from Naxos with Helmut Muller-Bruhl conducting is my favorite Telemann-CD.

Thanks for the recommendation! I just ordered this CD used for 3,57 euros delivered.  0:)

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Ecclesiastical Secularism"

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
« Reply #108 on: Today at 04:18:22 PM »
Telemann is imo a boring name and feels like a stove brand rather than a German baroque composer name.  :P
Strange. Oh,well - you might want to look at the main character of this murder novel:  The Telemann Touch, by William Haggard  ç1958

Despite of being a fan of German baroque I have very little Telemann's music. I have always found his music less interesting than that of other baroque composers ... While many other German baroque composers from Telemann's generation such as Graupner, Fasch and Heinichen have been weakly recorded especially in the 20th century, Telemann seems to have been well represented alongside J. S. Bach and Handel which feel "force-feeding." Why always Telemann? Why not Schieferdecker for a change?

The New Grove has two paragraphs and about 3/4 of a page on Schieferdecker when expanded for works.  The article on Telemann spans over 12 pages, and was pulled out and expanded in the Grove's book, North European Baroque Masters ç1985.  I've never seen a book dedicated to Schieferdecker, but there are at least three in English on Telemann.  The articles in various tomes that discuss Telemann are as numberless as the sand.  I see about a dozen for Schieferdecker - although that number is obviously too small.  Telemann composed some 3,000 works.  I see about 100 or so for Schieferdecker.  All this relates to the relative importance of these two composers. 

https://interlude.hk/georg-philipp-telemann-1681-1767-hero-zero/

Steven Zohn in NGDMM:  " The most prolific composer of his time, he was widely regarded as Germany’s leading composer during the first half of the 18th century. He remained at the forefront of musical innovation throughout his career, and was an important link between the late Baroque and early Classical styles. He also contributed significantly to Germany’s concert life and the fields of music publishing, music education and theory. "

Our personal tastes (usually) need no defending.  But we can't overlook scholarly consensus.

Your barricades lie broken ... your enemies lord.