Georg Philipp Telemann

Started by Harry, April 15, 2007, 10:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Boy, that's a tough one, Dave. Even the New Grove doesn't list them all! It lists a bunch under TWV 41:

Sonatas for one instrument and continuo, TWV41
Six sonates (g, D, b, G, a, A), vn, bc (Frankfurt, 1715, 2/c1725–6)
Kleine Cammer-Music, bestehend aus VI Partien (B , G, c, g, e, E ), fl/ob/vn, bc, or solo kbd (Frankfurt, 1716, 2/1728)
Sei suonatine (A, B , D, G, E, F), vn, bc (Frankfurt, 1718)

[6] Sonate metodiche (g, A, e, D, a, G), fl/vn, bc (Hamburg, 1728); T i
Polonoise (D), fl/vn, bc; Pastourelle (D), tr, bc; L'hiver (d), tr, bc; Niaise (E), tr, bc; Pastorale (E), fl/other tr, bc; Capriccio (G), fl, bc; Ouverture (g), ob/vn, bc; Sonata da chiesa, fl/ob/vn, bc; Sinfonie ... à la françoise (b), fl/vn, bc; 17 other pieces; all in Der getreue Music-Meister (Hamburg, 1728–9)
[6] Neue Sonatinen (e, c, D. G, a, E), 4 for fl/vn, bc or solo kbd, 2 for rec/bn/vc, bc or solo kbd (Hamburg, 1730/31) [only 1 inst pt extant]
Continuation des sonates méthodiques (b, c, E, B , d, C), fl/vn, bc (Hamburg, 1732); T i
Sonata (b), fl, bc; Sonata (A), vn, bc; Sonata (g), ob, bc: all in Musique de table (Hamburg, 1733), ed. in DDT, lxi–lxii (1927); T xii–xiv
XII solos (F, e, A, C, g, D, d, G, b, E, a, f ), vn/fl, bc (Hamburg, 1734), ed. in RRMBE, lxxi (1994)
10 sonatas in Essercizii musici (Hamburg, 1740): nos. 1, 7 (F, A), vn, bc; 2, 8 (D, G), fl, bc; 3, 9 (a, e), va da gamba, bc; 4, 10 (d, C), rec, bc; 5, 11 (B , e), ob, bc

38 other solo sonatas, incl. 24 doubtful or spurious

A place that I've found very helpful for some composers, like CPE Bach, is Wikipedia. But their Telemann article needs a lot of work yet. Any composer you look up there, just find the link to "List of Compositions" and you can find a lot of info (on others).

Sorry. :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Hi Gurn - well, this morning (after a good night's sleep!), I return to the TWV Catalog HERE and found all 12 Suites & Concertos (Concerts) under this category:  42. Musique de chambre pour 2 instruments avec basse continue - these are described as chamber works for 2 instruments & B.C. - I guess that the organ could count as an instrument & basso continuo, although the keyboardist uses harpsichord on some of these pieces.

For those interested, below is a 'match up' of the suite & concerto numbers w/ those in the TWV catalog.  Amazingly, when I when to my Google Drive document tracking my collection, none of these were duplicated!  GPT certainly wrote a LOT of music!  :)

Suites (No. & TWV correlation)
1=42:G4, 2=42:B2, 3=42:h2, 4=42:E2, 5=42:a3, 6=42:d3

Concertos (No. & TWV correlation)
  1=42:D6, 2=42:g2, 3=42:A3, 4=42:e3, 5=42:h1, 6=42:a2

Leo K.

Nice to see the Telemann thread return. I've been excited to hear this new aquistion to my Telemann collection, an opera seria completely new to me:

[asin]B007FGQ15A[/asin]

8)

Moonfish

*bump*

I am also a bit astounded that the Telemann thread is so small (2 pages) and with more than two years having passed since the last post. Telemann's music seems to suffer from having a reputation of being superfluous, but I have to heartily disagree as I have found great pleasure in its soundscape. Why do you think Telemann get so little attention here? Not modern enough.... ;)

Last year I had the great pleasure of traversing Ricercar Consort's performances of Les plaisirs de la table, which turned out to be a revelation. These discs are fantastic and would certainly serve as a powerful and influential gateway to Telemann's music. Highly recommended!

[asin] B001BBSEUA[/asin]

Lately I have been digging into Brilliant Classics' composer set, which is very good and quite affordable for a Telemann "boost".
Review MusicWeb: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2011/June11/Telemann_94104.htm
(Only 30 euros on Amazon.de)

[asin] B004D3BPH2[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

It seems as if Brilliant Classics now has expanded its previous Telemann edition (from 29 to 50 cds) and is releasing it at the end of March in the US! It is already available in Germany (55 euros).

Booklet with contents.

[asin] B00RBXAI5Q[/asin]

Unboxing (in German)
https://www.youtube.com/v/-uhVmvbzfcA
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Telemann: Concertos for Woodwind Instruments         Camerata Köln

Continuing my Telemann day with the woodwind concertos. Revisiting and sampling DHM's mini-box which I have found very rewarding in the past. The Camerata Köln provides a warm and vivid performance in this recording.

[asin] B000026H9H[/asin]

from this great set:
[asin] B00AC4D6C8[/asin]
Anna Lappé

SonicMan46

Hi Peter - since my post back in 2007 when I had about 2 dozen Telemann discs, I now have just over 50 - I keep tract of them on Google Drive, just so when an interesting one appears, especially w/ period instruments, I closely check those TWV numbers - ;)  BTW - have you looked @ that catalog?  GPT was considered the most prolific composer of ALL time, so there is plenty to enjoy!  He was also the 'most famous' composer in Germany @ back then, respected much above JS Bach - in fact, Telemann was the 'first choice' for the job in Leipzig, Graupner the second choice, and then Bach was reluctantly given the position - funny how perceptions have changed.  Dave :)

Moonfish

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 01, 2015, 02:09:45 PM
Hi Peter - since my post back in 2007 when I had about 2 dozen Telemann discs, I now have just over 50 - I keep tract of them on Google Drive, just so when an interesting one appears, especially w/ period instruments, I closely check those TWV numbers - ;)  BTW - have you looked @ that catalog?  GPT was considered the most prolific composer of ALL time, so there is plenty to enjoy!  He was also the 'most famous' composer in Germany @ back then, respected much above JS Bach - in fact, Telemann was the 'first choice' for the job in Leipzig, Graupner the second choice, and then Bach was reluctantly given the position - funny how perceptions have changed.  Dave :)

True! The number of recordings seems to have increased drastically (as well as your collection) as I perceive a renewed interest in these works. I find them both interesting and enjoyable. The Telemann/Graupner/Bach story definitely leaves room for thought....   0:)
I wonder how the future will perceive our own fashionable music choices?

Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Telemann: Der Getrue Music-Meister III         Camerata Köln/Schneider

Great stuff! I especially like the incredible variety of music included in the "lessons". I have listened to these before, but decided to listen to the third section (out of five). I presume these were written for Telemann's students (I need to do some research)? It is an anthology of pieces ranging from cantatas to solo pieces.  A very intimate and charming selection of music. Anybody else that have taken fancy to the Music-Meister works? The Camerata Köln and the soloists seem to be doing a great job in these performances. However, is there any specific rendition of Music-Meister you would recommend?

[asin] B00AC4D6C8[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Dave,
Could you recommend any recordings with Telemann's cantatas?   :)
Anna Lappé

SonicMan46

Quote from: Moonfish on March 01, 2015, 10:51:36 PM
Dave,
Could you recommend any recordings with Telemann's cantatas?   :)

Hi Peter - I have only about a half dozen discs of GPT's vocal works, so far from an expert, and I've not listened to these recordings in a while - some are shown below - I'd suggest looking @ the reviews; I'm sure there are plenty of good vocal offerings available - below are some of the ones I own currently:

The one stating just Cantatas is a 3-CD set on Brilliant (not sure if it's still in print) - Stötzel is the conductor on 2 discs; Hermann Max on the other - here is a MusicWeb Review - probably a good start, if still available?

Cornett Cantatas w/ Remy is a fun disc (Bruno has a good review on Amazon HERE).   Festive Cantatas w/ Stötzel (another excellent Bruno Review) - this seems to be the first disc in the Brilliant box (so check out the listings).

Passions-Oratorium - a 2-CD set, probably a reissue - about the best I can do, but will be interested in the input of others - Dave :)

Moonfish

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 02, 2015, 06:37:18 AM
Hi Peter - I have only about a half dozen discs of GPT's vocal works, so far from an expert, and I've not listened to these recordings in a while - some are shown below - I'd suggest looking @ the reviews; I'm sure there are plenty of good vocal offerings available - below are some of the ones I own currently:

The one stating just Cantatas is a 3-CD set on Brilliant (not sure if it's still in print) - Stötzel is the conductor on 2 discs; Hermann Max on the other - here is a MusicWeb Review - probably a good start, if still available?

Cornett Cantatas w/ Remy is a fun disc (Bruno has a good review on Amazon HERE).   Festive Cantatas w/ Stötzel (another excellent Bruno Review) - this seems to be the first disc in the Brilliant box (so check out the listings).

Passions-Oratorium - a 2-CD set, probably a reissue - about the best I can do, but will be interested in the input of others - Dave :)

Thanks Dave!
I am discovering that there are plenty of Telemann works as well as numerous recordings throughout the last few decades, but relatively few compilations/sets.  Thanks for all those cantata recommendations!  It seems as if CPO has recorded a great deal of Telemann's works so I had fun browsing at jpc.de.  Many of these do not seem very prominent in the US market.
What do you think about Brilliant Classic's efforts?
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

I purchased two Telemann recordings yesterday. The CPO recording of the Christmas Cantatas was very alluring (wish I had it two months ago):

I was also drawn to the Brockes Passion after listening to a large portion of it on YouTube. There appears to be very few recordings of this work. One is by Jacob/AAM which is criticized for cutting out more than 30 minutes of the arias. The other recording is an older one by McGegan on Hungaraton which is supposed to be complete. Needless to say I went for the complete one even though I am still considering Jacobs' recording.  0:)

[asin] B000027C4N[/asin]

Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Here is the Jacobs rendition I was drawn to yesterday. Any impressions?  0:)

Brockes Passion         Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin Orchester/Jacobs

https://www.youtube.com/v/3Fil2t6lLb0
Anna Lappé

king ubu

Not too big on Telemann yet ... the Tafelmusik set I've got is the Ricercar one - pleasant enough but I feel like I don't fully understand it yet.

However, I don't think this here has been mentioned, and I think it's a pretty gorgeous disc:

It's a large-scale funeral cantata for a Hamburg mayor.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Jo498

I have a few discs but the only one I remember is the "Donnerode" (Thunder ode) recorded by Hermann Max for Capriccio 25 years ago or so. This is quite impressive and fun (with thundering timpani) although the "message" might be slightly disturbing today. (Written after the Lisbon earthquake brought up questions of theodicy it conveys the glorification of God even by catastrophic natural events: He thunders to be glorified)

There are also two? cantatas but I do not know which ones that used to be attributes to JS Bach but are actually by Telemann.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Moonfish

Telemann: Wassermusik/ 3 Konzerte            Musica Antiqua Köln/Goebel

Overall, a wonderful recording! The Wassermusik performance was vivid and engaging throughout. The last concerto (D minor for the 2 chalumeaux) was very interesting in terms of both its slow tempo and enigmatic sound world - intriguing. My regard for Musica Antiqua Köln is growing rapidly and I hope to hear more of their recordings soon. This specific disc is a gem!

Anna Lappé

Que

Quote from: Moonfish on March 04, 2015, 07:06:49 PM
Telemann: Wassermusik/ 3 Konzerte            Musica Antiqua Köln/Goebel

Overall, a wonderful recording! The Wassermusik performance was vivid and engaging throughout. The last concerto (D minor for the 2 chalumeaux) was very interesting in terms of both its slow tempo and enigmatic sound world - intriguing. My regard for Musica Antiqua Köln is growing rapidly and I hope to hear more of their recordings soon. This specific disc is a gem!

Thanks for the recommendation!
Based on what I've heard so far, Goebel has a real knack for Telemann... :)

Q

Jo498

I think I have all but two of the Telemann recordings by Goebel/Musica Antiqua and they are all very good, certainly among the best of this repertoire (and when most of this stuff came out in the 80s there were absolutely peerless). Apparently there is now a flimsy cheapo box with most of these recordings.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

San Antone

Two good choices of The Complete Tafelmusik

[asin]B003R4MLQW[/asin]

[asin]B001BBSEUA[/asin]