Georg Philipp Telemann

Started by Harry, April 15, 2007, 10:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Ricercar released this compilation in 2017.  That label rocks so this is probably a no-brainer!

Booklet for the Ricercar collection: https://www.outhere-music.com/en/albums/a-portrait-ric-375/booklet

MusicWeb Review: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/May/Telemann_collection_9029586013.htm

More information and samples here: https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8260850--telemann-a-portrait

[asin] B01N7KSVXH[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

I guess it is not surprising that 2017 provided a bonanza of Telemann recordings in honor of the 250th (!!!) anniversary of his death back in 1767.  Warner also put forward a compilation:

Same MusicWeb review: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/May/Telemann_collection_9029586013.htm

[asin] B01MY6NF1S[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 27, 2018, 03:17:12 AM
I guess it is not surprising that 2017 provided a bonanza of Telemann recordings in honor of the 250th (!!!) anniversary of his death back in 1767.  Warner also put forward a compilation:

Same MusicWeb review: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/May/Telemann_collection_9029586013.htm

[asin] B01MY6NF1S[/asin]

Good to see someone back in this thread! It's been like a ghost-town.  I was looking through the composer thread, and couldn't believe how poorly a titan like Telemann ranks (as far as pages in the thread) compared to dozens of names I've barely heard of. 

Personally, I had intended to snap up that Warner box, but am just inundated with Telemann now.  It looks excellent, but I have too much other stuff to explore first.  The Archiv 10 disk box is fantastic, and with the Sony and the Brilliant...I had to draw the line somewhere.  Anyway, I hope you'll share some more of your findings over here. I got embarrassed waxing excited over disks all by my lonesome :-[
It's all good...

Moonfish

Yes, I felt your pain when I was reading the posts in the thread  :'( :'( :'(. Well, now I suspect there will be some fire in Telemann. 2017 was certainly inundated with Telemann recordings and compilations and I suspect it will ripple through 2018 as well.  I just hope that these compilations don't go OOP as the Telemann realm seems like a small niche. I wonder why? The music is delightful in every way possible.
Like you I tend to jump between different types of classical music as I listen (as you probably have noticed by now - ha ha), but Telemann is a keeper.   :P

*oh, my 6,000th post*   :D
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 27, 2018, 03:39:48 AM
The Archiv 10 disk box is fantastic...

This one? Is it the release in the extremely flimsy packaging or is it "normal"?

[asin] B00LHO6PWK[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 27, 2018, 03:53:03 AM
This one? Is it the release in the extremely flimsy packaging or is it "normal"?

[asin] B00LHO6PWK[/asin]

yeah, it's in a crappy little box. But it can be had cheaply ($20?) and is really nice. I first thought the Tafelmusik set was a little slow (although it's a favorite of many), but after playing it a little more it really hit me.  I love Goebel and the Koln group. 

And i wouldn't worry about this stuff going OOP. I think the age of Telemann is upon us.  First the Bach revival, then Vivaldi, and now Telemann.  He's deserving.  He's like a Baroque Haydn, in that every piece has a sweet little creative something to it. The ensembles and groups hitting his music hardest these days are really top shelf, dedicated enthusiasts. I think more and more are going to come on board.
   Anyway, to repeat, I look forward to hearing your "Telemann thoughts" over here.  Maybe some others will join in. If not ;) We've got our own thread 8).
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 27, 2018, 04:05:59 AM
yeah, it's in a crappy little box. But it can be had cheaply ($20?) and is really nice. I first thought the Tafelmusik set was a little slow (although it's a favorite of many), but after playing it a little more it really hit me.  I love Goebel and the Koln group. 

And i wouldn't worry about this stuff going OOP. I think the age of Telemann is upon us.  First the Bach revival, then Vivaldi, and now Telemann.  He's deserving.  He's like a Baroque Haydn, in that every piece has a sweet little creative something to it. The ensembles and groups hitting his music hardest these days are really top shelf, dedicated enthusiasts. I think more and more are going to come on board.
   Anyway, to repeat, I look forward to hearing your "Telemann thoughts" over here.  Maybe some others will join in. If not ;) We've got our own thread 8).

*dreams*

*....The Telemann empire....*

::) :P
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 01, 2015, 02:09:45 PM
Hi Peter - since my post back in 2007 when I had about 2 dozen Telemann discs, I now have just over 50 - I keep tract of them on Google Drive, just so when an interesting one appears, especially w/ period instruments, I closely check those TWV numbers - ;)  BTW - have you looked @ that catalog?  GPT was considered the most prolific composer of ALL time, so there is plenty to enjoy!  He was also the 'most famous' composer in Germany @ back then, respected much above JS Bach - in fact, Telemann was the 'first choice' for the job in Leipzig, Graupner the second choice, and then Bach was reluctantly given the position - funny how perceptions have changed.  Dave :)

Hi Dave!

Another three years (*gasp*)! How is your Telemann collection doing today? Still growing in its immensity or has it fallen into slumber?  I still enjoy some of those cantata recordings you recommended to me years ago! Splendid! I'm quite excited exploring the fireworks of the 2017 Telemann anniversary! What about you?

Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Mmmm...

G.Ph. Telemann: Concerto in D major for Violin, Cello, Trumpet and Strings, TWV 53:D5
Bremer Barockorchester, Program: "Music without Borders", Live recording from Unser Lieben Frauen Church, Bremen,  November 21st, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/v/e3vtyS0Vn4s
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

This NY Times article from 1982 gives an interesting perspective of Telemann:

EXPLORING THE ENORMOUS OUTPUT OF TELEMANN by Allan Kozinn

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/06/06/arts/exploring-the-enormous-output-of-telemann.html
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Telemann: Paris Quartets Nos. 1-6               Kuijken3, Leonhardt

Revisiting the Paris Quartets. It seems like these quartets as well as the Table Music are the most common gateways to Telemann's works - at least in terms of popularity. I learned that the name we usually link to these quartets (Paris Quartets) is one that was placed upon them only recently during the last century based on Telemann's visit to Paris between 1737-38. They have an interesting history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_quartets#History

Clearly, the quartets were well received:
"The admirable performances of these quartets by Messrs Blavet (transverse flute), Guignon (violin), the younger Forcroy [i.e. Forqueray] (viola da gamba) and Edouard (cello) would be worth describing were it possible for words to be found to do them justice. In short, they won the attention of the ears of the court and the town, and procured for me in a very little time an almost universal renown and increased esteem. (Telemann 1740, 367, translation from Bergmann 1967, 1101)".

Telemann wrote more than 40 quartets during his lifetime!!!! I had no idea.

Paris Quartets (Wiki): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_quartets

Do you have a favorite version of the Paris Quartets? The Kuijken3/Leonhardt recording seems to be widespread, but there are (obviously) tons of recordings of these quartets available to aficionados.

Here is another performance with the Freiburger Barockconsort:
https://www.youtube.com/v/3ab7x88qyK8
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

great posts! A lot to soak up.
  A couple of years ago, I remember you mentioning this
[asin]B00RBXAI5Q[/asin]
although I'm not sure if you said you actually got it or not. I got it very, very cheaply last year, but haven't played anything from it. Wondered if you had any thoughts or recommendations.

I have played this,
[asin]B003R4MLQW[/asin]

and really enjoyed it.  Apparently, however, some find it too fast and glib.  I think I will need to do some comparison between it, the bruggen (which I also loved) and the Goebel from Archiv...
It's all good...

Que

Cross posting from the WAYLT thread:

Trying this, on Spotify:

I already have these performed on recorder by Dorothee Oberlinger, an exciting and dazzling performance.
But these pieces were intended for transverse flute, and that field is not crowded with perfomances on a period instruments.
I suspected Barthold Kuijken's performance be a classic. And it is: nuanced and absolutely tone perfect, but in a rather stately fashion with measured tempi, rather understating the "fantastic" side of these pieces. But it's a very pretty performance all the same.

Next, I'll try the Lazarevitch that our Gordo recommended the other day.  :)

Q

Que

Quote from: Gordo on August 04, 2018, 08:53:25 AM
That Lazarevitch is a beast! Recently, I was listening to his disk of Telemann's 12 fantasias for solo flute, and it's a delightful disk. And, just for the record, due to the nature of the music, it's not usually easy to walk with the performer through a complete disk.

[asin]B01MUSCT8B[/asin]

Q

Karl Henning

Quote from: Que on August 05, 2018, 01:38:14 AM
Cross posting from the WAYLT thread:

Trying this, on Spotify:

I already have these performed on recorder by Dorothee Oberlinger, an exciting and dazzling performance.
But these pieces were intended for traverse flute, and that field is not crowded with perfomances on a period instruments.
I suspected Barthold Kuijken's performance be a classic. And it is: nuanced and absolutely tone perfect, but in a rather stately fashion with measured tempi, rather understating the "fantastic" side of these pieces. But it's a very pretty performance all the same.

Next, I'll try the Lazarevitch that our Gordo recommended the other day.  :)

Q

While they seem a bit aside from the "mission" of the box, the two flute solo Fantasie on the disc from the Hantaï box are both brilliant pieces, and a welcome textural relief.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Cross posts from the Listening Thread just to locate my own three versions of the complete Tafelmusik in this relevant thread

Telemann: Musique de table [Bruggen]

The recording has great weight and body given the relative size of the ensemble [no credits given in this edition to the sound engineers]. The music is very well played in a lively, lilting manner. The Trio and the Conclusion [in particular] in this section, Production I are notable, stand out movements for me.

Telemann: Musique de table  [Freiburger Barockorchester]

These are delightful versions performed with a lightness of touch and fluidity that enables the music to move along in a most engaging way. The playing is impeccable, crisp and clean and the recorded sound is great, especially that of the brass. There is a different but lovely "feel" to this performance when compared with the other versions that I own; it is very engaging. I find that the Quartet and Trio movements, in Production II, scored for wind instruments, have some wonderful textures and harmonies and great bassoon scoring to boot. The Concert movement has very engaging and beautiful slow movement. The Sonata movement is charming and the work ends with an energetic, engaging and a lively conclusion.

Telemann: Tafelmusik [Goebel]

The musicianship is exemplary and the production and recording are of the highest quality which manifests itself in the wonderful sound of the textures of the instruments. This is refined and sophisticated music making which has a very easy flow to it. The Concert, in Production III is a stand out movement in this section with those wonderful sounding horns. The Trio section is charming and the Solo section is also notable for its singing oboe lines. The programme is wonderfully wound up with gusto in the final Conclusion.

aligreto

Cross posts from the Listening Thread for location of relevant information

Tafelmusik, extracts from Parts I & II [Florilegium]

For those who either do not know it or wish to listen to a complete version of Tafelmusik this single CD will make a very fine introduction to the work for you. The playing is very fine and the instrumental textures are well recorded. This CD makes for a very pleasant listen and would be recommended as a good introduction to the work.

aligreto

This 5 CD set is a good recommendation for [and introduction to] the music of Telemann. It offers a diversity of music performed by a diversity of ensembles and it is very well played throughout with an easy flow to the music.

vers la flamme

Bump for Telemann...

I've been listening to the Wassermusik disc with Goebel & the Musica Antiqua Köln, and have come away with the impression that Telemann is nowhere near as dry and boring as he is sometimes remembered. That being said, he wrote so much music that I don't know what's worth checking out and what is not.

Anyone listening to Telemann lately?