Georg Philipp Telemann

Started by Harry, April 15, 2007, 10:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: Hector on April 17, 2007, 04:22:10 AM
Telemann is the most boring composer, ever.

None of his music was meant to be listened to but serve, merely, as background music.

So there >:D

I am probably wrong but I have found Telemann a bit boring baroque composer based on the few works I have heard. Somehow I fail to see much edge, colour, ideas or originality in his music. It's like averaged baroque music. But then again I haven't heard much and his cantatas must be interesting...  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

robnewman

- G.P. Telemann and Musical Diplomacy -

Rarely acknowledged today is the extent to which a number of German speaking composers of the Baroque achieved success over much of Europe between around 1730 and 1740 by writing remarkable chamber works of great sophistication which incorporated stylistic and other influences that were French, Italian and others. These were as well received in German speaking lands as elsewhere and some of the finest examples were published and admired in Paris, Italy etc.

G.P. Telemann (1681-1767) was involved in this development during much of this decade. This use by Telemann and others of what were to him foreign musical traditions under the umbrella of baroque music was, however, to be short lived. By around 1740 more conservative elements within European music wanted an end to baroque music as a whole and of this trend to use different national and regional traditions. So this short period of respecting differences, using and incorporating the musical idioms of different European nations and regions within one's own music, was finally ended.

(Bach's great familiarity with the music of Italy and France at this time is another example of this short  lived development. Telemann (a personal friend of JS Bach) went even further, being published in this type of music even beyond his own country).

Here are some typical examples, both from little known chamber works of Telemann. Published in Germany, then in Italy and France by around 1738.

1. G.P. Telemann (1681-1767)
Sonata for Chamber Ensemble in A Major
1st Movement
'Soave'
TWV 43/1
(c.1738)

http://www.mediafire.com/?mnwryntjzgt

2. G.P. Telemann (1681-1767)
Suite for Chamber Ensemble in E Minor
4th Movement
(c. 1732)

http://www.mediafire.com/?yqdnzzdiyn0

robnewman

3. And a final example -

G.P. Telemann (1681-1767)
Suite for Chamber Ensemble in E Minor
6th Movement
(c.1732)

http://www.mediafire.com/?gifynzbn3ok

snyprrr

Telemann has sooo much music, and sooo many cds, yet I am never at a loss for finding some nice minor key work of his that leaves me satisfied.

karlhenning

Quote from: Don on April 15, 2007, 11:42:56 AM
. . . It's been quite a few years since I acquired or lsitened to any Telemann discs, but I have the above if the mood changes.

That's quite the store against a change in mood  :)

DavidW

I wonder why Don's library is so large if he doesn't care for the composer?  As a just in case?  Or were they sent to him hoping for a review? since you know he is a critic.

karlhenning

Don may be coming to a watefront near me . . . if I catch his ear, I'll ask about his extensive Telemann collection.

He has more Telemann than I have Elgar!  :o

Jaime B

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help. I have this CD of Telemann's complete Trio sonatas for violin, flute and BC and also Oboe, recorder and BC. It is on a double CD on the Brilliant Classics label and the performers are Biondi and Tripla Concordia...

Does anyone else have it? If you do or you have the following Trio Sonata by Telemann - TWV 42 d10 could you please tell me what key it is in? I got this CD from a friend and I found the info on Amazon as well as 2 other sites but it says it is in D Major but just listen to it. It is clearly in a minor key.

Maybe you know why it is misnamed. Did Telemann do things like this? Maybe you have a CD booklet explaining. I love the music of Telemann.

A bit of a curiosity (or a definition of anal :) )

Thanks!

Jai  ;)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jaime B on September 10, 2009, 01:04:00 AM
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help. I have this CD of Telemann's complete Trio sonatas for violin, flute and BC and also Oboe, recorder and BC. It is on a double CD on the Brilliant Classics label and the performers are Biondi and Tripla Concordia...

Does anyone else have it? If you do or you have the following Trio Sonata by Telemann - TWV 42 d10 could you please tell me what key it is in? I got this CD from a friend and I found the info on Amazon as well as 2 other sites but it says it is in D Major but just listen to it. It is clearly in a minor key.

Maybe you know why it is misnamed. Did Telemann do things like this? Maybe you have a CD booklet explaining. I love the music of Telemann.

A bit of a curiosity (or a definition of anal :) )

Thanks!

Jai  ;)

Jaime,
I don't have the disk, but I can tell you for sure that it is in d minor. It is, in fact, the 10th trio sonata in d minor to be cataloged by that author. Thus the name 'd10'. It really IS as simple as that. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Jaime B

OK cool. Thanks for your help and now I have learned something more about Georg Philipp too  ;)

Que

Quote from: Coopmv on December 30, 2010, 03:18:04 PM
Now playing CD1 from this set, which arrived a few weeks ago from across the pond for a first listen ...

Quote from: Brian on December 30, 2010, 03:39:02 PM
What'd you think, Stuart? I am sensing, deep within me, the unexpected beginnings of a baroque music exploration period.

Quote from: Coopmv on December 30, 2010, 04:06:19 PM
This is a 2010 recording.  Freiburger Barockorchester is not exactly unknown to me since I have a few other CD's and a Brandenburg Concertos DVD by them.  The performance was polished with tempi that were just right (I thought their BC were a tad fast).  There is an excellent balance between youthful exuberance and virtuosity.

Quote from: SonicMan on December 30, 2010, 04:32:12 PM

Hi Stuart - please let us know what you think of this HM set?  I have the Brilliant 4-CD box inserted above and enjoy - Dave  :D

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 30, 2010, 04:59:37 PM
Hi, Sonic. I don't know if you have noticed this re-release:

$20.82 for the complete 4-CD set on Amazon... One of the best recordings from Musica Antiqua Köln. Highly recommended is not to say enough.  :)

Quote from: SonicMan on December 30, 2010, 05:25:18 PM
Stuart - yes, the group that you quote above - excellent performances -  :)

Antonie - you Devil;) ;D   One of my favorite groups! Immediately put in an order to the Amazon US MP - just $14 + S/H - I know that this will be GREAT!  Must compare w/ my other recording box - thanks for bringing this to my attention - Dave  :)

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 31, 2010, 02:51:31 AM
Great, Dave! I also love MAK in this repertoire.

The Tafelmusik is one of my favorite Baroque compositions and I probably have too much versions, but this one and Hünteler are my favorites.

Could you guys please drop me a line after you've figured out a winner amongst these recordings of Tafelmusik? :)  :)

Because I don't think I'm ready for multiple recordings yet.... 8) Maybe it will grow on me after the 1st? :)

Q

listener

on vinyl  Tafelmusik   Concerto Amsterdam/Brüggen   Telefunken, 6 discs   
             Der Getreue Musikmeister    Würzburger Bach-Chor,   Josef Ulsamer  DGG/Archive 5 discs
             Cantatas  Wo sol ich fliehen hin, Alein Gott in der Höh' sei Ehr'   Erato/EMI
              Don Quixote Suite, Violin Concerto       Marco Polo
and lurking somewhere a Vox LP of oboe sonatas "played by" Theodore and Dorothy Schulze - genuinely awful.
CD's   the wind concerto disc with Musica Antiqua Köln/Goebel is a recommendation - lots of variety, including a concerto for 2 Chalumeaux
          trumpet  concertos on Nimbus by John Wallace with others, English String Orch., Boughton.
-  has a lot of unrelieved D-Major
and an opera "Gedulige Socrates, Der" 4 discs on Hungaroton   12 957-60   

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Que

Quote from: Que on January 01, 2011, 03:01:40 AM
Could you guys please drop me a line after you've figured out a winner amongst these recordings of Tafelmusik? :)  :)

Because I don't think I'm ready for multiple recordings yet.... 8) Maybe it will grow on me after the 1st? :)

Q

So, which recording of Tafelmusik should I get? :)

Q

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Que on January 04, 2011, 10:28:25 PM
So, which recording of Tafelmusik should I get? :)

Q

IMO Musica Antiqua Köln (Archiv) deliver the canonical version of this collection, Q. If I had to choose just one interpretation would be that one, although -as I said before- I have another favorite: Konrad Hünteler and the Camerata of the 18th Century (MDG), less virtuosistic and slower paced than Goebel, but equally rewarding... But I repeat: go with Goebel, you will love those performances.

Anyway, I have not listened to the Freiburger Baroque Orchestra and I don't know if I will do it very soon because I have another three complete versions of this music: Brüggen/Concerto Amsterdam (Teldec), Harnoncourt/Concentus Musicus Wien (Teldec) and Belder/Musica Amphion (Brilliant Classics). All of them have their merits, even Brüggen, a recording from the 60's, but Goebel (never my favorite in Bach) has the edge here.  :)

Now:

8)

chasmaniac

Does anyone know what is happening with the Brilliant "complete overtures" set? It seems to have stopped well short of complete.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Opus106

Does anyone know a place online from where I can download the text to Brockes Passion? (A PDF, preferably, but a Word document will do also.) (Wikipedia does not even have an article on the work!)
Regards,
Navneeth

Que

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on March 05, 2011, 01:37:27 PM

Having listened to two times the complete Tafelmusik by the Freiburger Barockorchester, I can report this is a thoroughly rewarding set. I would really like to have some time to do some comparative listening, but unfortunately it is not possible. I especially liked what I would call an "old taste", a sort of old HIP sobriety and fervour, mixed with some generous doses of flexibility and spontaneity. It is like that old version by Brüggen and his Concerto Amsterdam, but wisely corrected. IMO, one of the great achievements of the Freiburgers, not always one of my preferred Baroque ensembles. Highly recommended!  :)

I have done and still will do some comparative sampling. Sofar it's already clear that the final contest will be between Musica Antique Köln and the Freiburger Barokorchester.

Thanks for the comments. :)

Q

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on March 05, 2011, 10:43:04 PM
I have done and still will do some comparative sampling. So far it's already clear that the final contest will be between Musica Antique Köln and the Freiburger Barokorchester.

Thanks for the comments. :)

Q - I've ended up owning both the sets you're considering above (gave away my Brilliant one to a friend as a gift) - love each one, so not an easy decision if you just want a single collection - good luck in your choice(s) - Dave  :D

Grazioso

Ok, Telemann experts, I have a question for you. I have heard good portions of his Tafelmusik (Brilliant) and Paris Quartets (Virgin), as well as this disc, which is probably my favorite of the three recordings:

Telemann strikes me as a skilled craftsman of pleasant works, but ultimately nothing particularly individual or memorable. I don't know much about him other than that he was long-lived, prolific, and wedded various national styles in his music. What sets him apart? What specifically should I be listening for? What are his compositional hallmarks?

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

SonicMan46

BOY, a Telemann thread started back in 2007 w/ only 2 pages - well, I've added to my collection since my post on the first page and still enjoy his music - not sure why he is so neglected in general and in the forum - boring?  Maybe, however, he was the MOST prolific composer of his era, well respected, and considered first for the job in Leipzig that was finally given to their 3rd choice, i.e. JS Bach.

Not sure who might be able to help, but I keep my Telemann TWV numbers on a Google Drive document just to make sure that I don't duplicate compositions already owned - not an easy task! :)

Just purchased the 2-disc set shown below - first CD of 'Suites' & second of 'Concertos'; however, no TWV numbers are listed, so cannot enter them into my record; my reference at THIS SITE, but have been unable to match the works w/ ones in the catalog (usually look at the names of the movements) - I'll be checking again but if anyone has figured this disc out relative to the numbers then please respond - this is claimed to be a 'World Premiere Recording' (dated 1999) for what that is worth? 

These 2 discs have only two performers, i.e. Inderinuhle on the oboe & Brizi on harpsichord or organ, so just not sure how these fit into the catalog?  A larger image shows the individual works & their movement names - thanks for any help - Dave :)