Georg Philipp Telemann

Started by Harry, April 15, 2007, 10:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammy

Quote from: DavidW on July 09, 2009, 04:58:52 AM
I wonder why Don's library is so large if he doesn't care for the composer?  As a just in case?  Or were they sent to him hoping for a review? since you know he is a critic.

I hadn't noticed the above post made in 2009.  I accumulated my relatively large Telemann library during a stretch of a few months; none of them were sent to me for review.  Anyways, I concluded that I much preferred Telemann's vocal works to his purely instrumental music.  I loved how he blended voice with orchestra.

In the past couple of years, I've made good use of my Telemann discs and still find the vocal works more compelling.  Especially rewarding are his "Der Tag des Gerichts" and "Die Donner-Ode", two of my favorite baroque vocal works.  True, it ain't Bach, but they are exciting and fun with an abundance of wonderful melodies.

Moonfish

Quote from: Sammy on March 08, 2015, 08:30:49 AM
I hadn't noticed the above post made in 2009.  I accumulated my relatively large Telemann library during a stretch of a few months; none of them were sent to me for review.  Anyways, I concluded that I much preferred Telemann's vocal works to his purely instrumental music.  I loved how he blended voice with orchestra.

In the past couple of years, I've made good use of my Telemann discs and still find the vocal works more compelling.  Especially rewarding are his "Der Tag des Gerichts" and "Die Donner-Ode", two of my favorite baroque vocal works.  True, it ain't Bach, but they are exciting and fun with an abundance of wonderful melodies.

The Hickox rendition? Are there any specific cantata recordings you would recommend, Sammy?
It seems like Telemann's instrumental works are abundant, while it is a bit harder to find the vocal works. I am hoping that there will be a complete cantata project one day (I know - wishful thinking?).... 
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

San Antone

Hermann Max has recorded several of the vocal works.  Generally good too.

Moonfish

Yes, it was mentioned on the previous page (7 days ago)!  >:D

Quote from: sanantonio on March 08, 2015, 07:17:04 AM
Two good choices of The Complete Tafelmusik

Quote from: Moonfish on March 01, 2015, 12:00:24 PM
*bump*

I am also a bit astounded that the Telemann thread is so small (2 pages) and with more than two years having passed since the last post. Telemann's music seems to suffer from having a reputation of being superfluous, but I have to heartily disagree as I have found great pleasure in its soundscape. Why do you think Telemann get so little attention here? Not modern enough.... ;)

Last year I had the great pleasure of traversing Ricercar Consort's performances of Les plaisirs de la table, which turned out to be a revelation. These discs are fantastic and would certainly serve as a powerful and influential gateway to Telemann's music. Highly recommended!

[asin] B001BBSEUA[/asin]

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: sanantonio on March 08, 2015, 09:52:22 AM
Hermann Max has recorded several of the vocal works.  Generally good too.

I have a feeling of that Max's performances are in the Brilliant box. I have to check...
Anna Lappé

San Antone

Quote from: Moonfish on March 08, 2015, 09:53:00 AM
Yes, it was mentioned on the previous page (7 days ago)!  >:D

Sorry, I hate when that happens. 

;)

I did not notice your post until after I put mine up.

Moonfish

Quote from: sanantonio on March 08, 2015, 09:55:21 AM
Sorry, I hate when that happens. 

;)

I did not notice your post until after I put mine up.

:P
Anna Lappé

Sammy

Quote from: Moonfish on March 08, 2015, 09:44:42 AM
The Hickox rendition? Are there any specific cantata recordings you would recommend, Sammy?

Hickox for the Donner-Ode, Max on Capriccio for the other.  For cantata recordings, you can't go wrong with Ludger Remy on CPO 777064.

Jo498

The Donnerode with Max conducting has been re-issued as a filler to "Der Tag des Gerichts" (the day of judgment)

[asin]B005FAH198[/asin]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Que

What about Harnoncourt? I have had my eye on this for a while:

[asin]B000000SIJ[/asin]

Q

Moonfish

Que,
Van Egmond (in the Harnoncourt recording) made me think about this recording with Telemann's  "Du aber Daniel, gehe hin" TWV 4:17

In my ears Telemann's cantatas are much more pleasant than I could ever have imagined.  :)

[asin] B00008NF74[/asin]

https://www.youtube.com/v/mt2C0S7c_Q4
Anna Lappé

Que

Quote from: Moonfish on March 09, 2015, 01:20:54 AM
Que,
Van Egmond (in the Harnoncourt recording) made me think about this recording with Telemann's  "Du aber Daniel, gehe hin" TWV 4:17

In my ears Telemann's cantatas are much more pleasant than I could ever have imagined.  :)

[asin] B00008NF74[/asin]

Thanks from the heads up! :) With Max van Egmond in his prime, we are in very goods hands indeed....

Q

Moonfish

Telemann: Orchestral Suites (Overtures) TWV 55: D23, a2 & D6      Camerata Köln/Schneider

Listening to this "standard" fare from Telemann this afternoon. However, it is delightful and I now keep wondering why Telemann has been so neglected relative to some of his contemporaries. The more I mine (listen to) his works the more interested I become. Considering the volume of works he produced it promises to be a long journey as long as the recordings are available. It was convenient that BC issued an expanded box of his works recently (expanding it from 29 to 50 cds). Regardless, why do you think he has the stigma of being redundant in some circles? I think he belongs in the top tier of Baroque composers.

Anna Lappé

Jo498

I don't know but already in the 19th century historians like Spitta (an avid Bachian) gave Telemann a bad rap (despite publishing some cantatas as Bach's that turned later out to have been written by Telemann, look it up, I do not remember the BWV numbers). Basically only Bach was accepted and to some extent Handel (and of an earlier generation Schuetz). Everything else was measured according to how close it was to Bach.

By now there are plenty of good recordings but still Telemann does not seem to have the rank and popularity of e.g. Vivaldi, maybe because there is no such potboiler as the 4 seasons although some of the more pittoresque suites (Don Quixote, Hamburg water music etc.) come close.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Artran

I love Telemann. His music is a never-ending flow of joyful musicality for every occasion, for every mood. Even when he's serious, I feel a wink behind his seriousness. He reminds me Joseph Haydn somehow. Some people complain, he's not so memorable, but I believe it's a misunderstanding. His œuvre is usually not about the peaks, it's about the foothills from which they must grow. It's about brilliant and humble craftsmanship, which, in it's vastness, bears a mark of a true genius.

My favourite recordigns are these:

But there's so many of them!

Mookalafalas

I got this box set a while back with pretty low expectations.  I love the Telemann discs in the Archiv box, but he doesn't get much attention, so I was doubtful.  Anyway, it was very cheap at my local store (about $40US, rather than $80 as per Amazon).

[asin]B06XJGR3V1[/asin]

However, I am absolutely delighted.  I'm kind of a musical box set collector, and tend to jump around like crazy to this and that, but I can't stop playing this, and the more I play the more I want to hear.  Lots of performances by Camerata Koln, the Kuijkens, Collegium Aureum, Ensemble 1700, Bruggen, etc..  Great playing and terrific sound.  Also great instrumental variety--that may be why I don't get tired of it--terrific combinations of instruments. It never palls.
    I wish there was a good biography of him in English.

It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Really enjoying this.  2011.  Trios and small string ensembles.

[asin]B001XT8O14[/asin]
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Artran on March 28, 2017, 05:00:32 AM
I love Telemann. His music is a never-ending flow of joyful musicality for every occasion, for every mood. Even when he's serious, I feel a wink behind his seriousness. He reminds me Joseph Haydn somehow. Some people complain, he's not so memorable, but I believe it's a misunderstanding. His œuvre is usually not about the peaks, it's about the foothills from which they must grow. It's about brilliant and humble craftsmanship, which, in it's vastness, bears a mark of a true genius.

My favourite recordigns are these:

But there's so many of them!

Ah, so many recommendations to explore!
Thank you, Artran!

It seems as if Harmonia Mundi have compiled some of their Telemann recordings:

[asin] B072HQHBZ4[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 07, 2017, 04:03:24 AM
I got this box set a while back with pretty low expectations.  I love the Telemann discs in the Archiv box, but he doesn't get much attention, so I was doubtful.  Anyway, it was very cheap at my local store (about $40US, rather than $80 as per Amazon).

[asin]B06XJGR3V1[/asin]

However, I am absolutely delighted.  I'm kind of a musical box set collector, and tend to jump around like crazy to this and that, but I can't stop playing this, and the more I play the more I want to hear.  Lots of performances by Camerata Koln, the Kuijkens, Collegium Aureum, Ensemble 1700, Bruggen, etc..  Great playing and terrific sound.  Also great instrumental variety--that may be why I don't get tired of it--terrific combinations of instruments. It never palls.
    I wish there was a good biography of him in English.

This box is clearly worthy of exploration. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Al. I see that I was quite exuberant about Telemann when I was posting here back in 2015. Such a long sabbatical. I have travelled many roads since then, but need to revisit this luminescent sanctuary (and prolific time) of the Baroque era.  Listening to Telemann's  Brockes-Passion, TWV5:1 / René Jacobs Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin. It certainly brings back good memories.
Anna Lappé